Can't be used to call customer care

Lord Morgoth

[OP]
Jun 2, 2015
I was trying to call a tata sky customer care no. (the 1800 kind) with my dear mother's Idea number but it kept reiterating "This number does not exist, please call again later" I tried it with my own Airtel number, and I was successful in contacting the Tata Sky cc. I've had a similar trouble calling other toll free numbers in the past, including Netgear CC. In fact, i think this extends to all no.s that are not 11 digit.

Do we have to activate some service so that Idea allows us to call these? Or Idea doesn't support calls to these no.s?

Sushubh

Administrator
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
there are generally two kind of numbers. one works from landline and bsnl/mtnl. another one works from private operators. at least that's what i have noticed. but in recent times, i have not found a toll free number that failed to work on my mobile phone. most companies as a result provide two different toll free numbers.

x720

Incoherent Poster
Regulars
Aug 14, 2011
Gurgaon | Mumbai
Yes. Numbers of the form 1800 11 xxxx and 1800 22 xxxx belong to mtnl and cannot be reached from some private operators. Dunno the bsnl equivalents.

@OP you may try YES bank at 1800 2000 to verify the 11 digit thingy

Last edited:

shr

Regulars
Oct 15, 2008
Chennai
I avoid calling their number. It is not toll free & you end up wasting time. Instead use their web chat. At the end of the transaction, i ask them to mail the chat transcript for my records.

Lord Morgoth

[OP]
Jun 2, 2015
Okay. Thanks!

Btw, I didn't remember the number exactly (which is why I said the 1800 kind) And my Idea is prepaid. Tried it agai, got it right after two tries. Thanks for the help! :D