BharatNet

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 27
  • Views Views 9,811
Is it possible for users to get a direct connection to Bharatnet from their gram panchayat?
We got the fibre upto our panchayat and BSNL only gives 1.2Mbps speed due to distance of current exchange.
Can we get a connection from Bharatnet from the gram panchayat? Anyone having any idea of end user connection under this.

^ I don't think you can. there's 100mbps fiber to our local post office at my dad's native village but they couldn't even extend the connection to few lanes behind it saying " Its out of rules" "we cannot do that without higher orders"

BSNL is outsourcing the last mile FTTH to franchises. They are not allowing connection to be given to houses located next to Panchayat or their terminal yet. Once someone takes franchise of your area then you can get.

Finally, BSNL is out of the way. It is likely to result in better progress.

BharatNet Usage Status as on 02-08-2019

Usage:
Wi-Fi:

Wi-Fi installed in GPs: 44,553 GPs
Wi-Fi operational in GPs: 14,166 GPs
No. of Users (July,2019) : 12,31,134
Total Data used per month (July,2019) : 63927.88 GBs

Other usages:
Fibre to the Home (FTTH) connections on BharatNet
FTTH connections taken by the States: 21,893
FTTH connections provided by BBNL for the interim period at GP level: 79725.
SWAN connections: 5179 GPs.

Utilisation by TSPs and ISPs:

Locations finalised and approved
TSP: 354
ISP: 5540

Connections provisioned:
TSP: 143
ISP: 1718

Ref: Source

I think you'd be safe, if you use BharatNet backbone. How did you get it? How do we know if someone uses BharatNet in BSNL fiber?

I thought that LCOs can purchase the bandwidth and distribute to houses and offices, through their own pricing structre and I never thought about BSNL using BharatNet backbone, even though BharatNet uses BSNL's fiber backbone to distribute and connect fiber to GPs.

BharatNet is using BSNL's backend for billing etc. And BSNL is using BharatNet's infra (since BharatNet is the owner of the OLT's and incremental fiber) so they work on a revenue share model.