Ipod Shuffle a no-go

nosh

Regular
[OP]
Regulars
Jan 14, 2007
Just picked a 2nd gen ipod shuffle (1gb) but the damn this is a complete no-go!
Windows does not react at all when I plug it in.
The charging light on the ipod does not show at all, not even a flicker.
All my USB ports are functioning fine - I've even charged/loaded my cousin's nano with the same PC.
I read something about high-powered USB ports being needed to charge the ipod. Am not sure how to distinguish between hi/lo powered ports but these are USB 2.0 ports and as I mentioned a nano has worked.
I've hated Apple with a vengeance and haven't touched their crap for years but I guess I fell into the ipod trap. Any ideas would really help me from completely losing it. :wall:

Edit: I'm running XP SP2 and I did download & install their latest piece of crap itunes before connecting.

Sushubh

Administrator
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
umm the shuffle works fine for my friend. either you got a defective unit... or something is wrong... try it on a friend's machine. if it works, sell it on ebay?

nosh

Regular
[OP]
Regulars
Jan 14, 2007
Yeah I plan to try it on another PC tomorrow. I know for a fact that the USB ports at the back of my PC are functioning fine. It's definitely a hardware glitch coz I haven't seen even a hint of life from this thing. :(

vebk

Mr. Advocate
Regulars
Jan 8, 2005
New Delhi
is it under warranty? As in I hope you didn't buy it from the grey market... if so, get it replaced!

nosh

Regular
[OP]
Regulars
Jan 14, 2007
Grey market, but the guy clarified that it's under the usual 1 year global warranty. I've dealt with this guy for a long time so can take him on his word.

viralbug

tR0ll bUg
Regulars
Jan 6, 2006
if you've bought your pc sometime recently, all usb ports would be 2.0.guess you got a defective one, try and get it replaced.another reason not to buy ipods......:confused:

boygr8

Regulars
Regulars
Apr 3, 2005
My shuffle worked perfect on both my 7 year old PC as well as new PC

nosh

Regular
[OP]
Regulars
Jan 14, 2007
Update: It was an ipod issue. The input jack was defective, got a replacement on the spot from the same shop and it's working like it's supposed to. Thx to everyone who replied.