HELP... need a new connection !

• Thread starter Thread starter brosam01
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 2,454

brosam01

ISP
MTNL
🙂 I have a laptop with Ethernet. I plan on using SKYPE for receiving calls from the US. The daily call time will approx. around 1 hour.I would like to know the usage in terms of data transfered, up and down! Also, which is a good connection provider? I cam across MTNL and TATA, so far! My cable provider is 7star in IRLA, Vile Parle. My major considerations would be the minimum speed required for internet calls and the total data transfered, up and down helping me to decide on unlimited or limited plans. I would appreciate a response people! thanks

I used to run Vonage on MTNL till few months back. Sevice is decent and I used up ~300 MB per month on VOIP. If TATA is giving you ADSL based connection then it can be a good choice as well.

thanks for ur response !If u dont mind my asking, which company did you switch over to and why?Also, why is TATA better then MTNL ?would appreciate a response,thanks

tata and 7star are on 1 and same network. tata doesnt seem to be giving ppp on ethernet (pppoe, what i suppose netfreak means by ADSL) here.mtnl NU shud be fine i suppose.

see google or wikipedia

My reason for asking too many questions is:I m in US and dont know much of these service providers in Vile-Parle....I have MTNL telephone line at home.. was wondering if, for SKYPE voice conference :- would DSL be enough with a speed of 64kbps or I need cable internet with a speed of atleast 256kbps?

I shifted to a new residential complex and MTNL has not laid down lines in that complex yet 🙁 so I am using Airtel's GPRS-EDGE card as stop gap, it gives me ~200 kbps. MTNL and TATA give you 2 mbps speed, so speed is not an issue at all for VOIP

yes MTNL is enough for skype or sip calls.

tata and 7star are on 1 and same network. tata doesnt seem to be giving ppp on ethernet (pppoe, what i suppose netfreak means by ADSL) here.

TATA gives ADSL connections if it has Telephone lines in your area. Otherwise it gives connections thru cable operators.

Do not even consider gooing for a net connection thru cable operators since they would not have enough crew to maintain the lines.