• Thread starter Thread starter SVK
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 48
  • Views Views 43,569

SVK

twitter.com/svknet
ISP
Jio Fiber, Airtel 5G
I can receive 91.1, 92.7, 93.5, 94.8 FM channels of Mumbai in Pune, can anybody explain how it happens, Is anybody else able to receive

umm. we can listen to FM Radio Channels available in Delhi NCR till Karnal in Haryana... that is like 110-120 KM from Delhi. I guess it depends upon the capabilities of the transmitting towers.

I went to Jaipur a couple of weeks back and they had their own localized version of the same Radio stations we have here in Delhi. Same channels(frequency) different content.

Now by govt rule any FM channel will have same freq throughout country like BIG FM transmitted on 92.7 throught nation, but I actually receive the Mumbai channels in Pune, as all city events, traffic updates belog to Mumbai. Only official pvt FM channel in Pune is 98.3 radio mirchi having contents Pune based

Signals of RED FM (93.5) are strong and so this FM can be available in Pune (I guess), but still the signal inside house is not that strong to be received anywhere like local FM channelsNote: I live on 3rd floor, so I think I can receive all FM channel from Mumbai

Signal of Mumbai "FM" stations being available in Pune ???Thats "impossible" unless these stations have transmittion towers in Hills that are between these cities.Reason is, FM signal are available only on "Line of Sight" (Unlike < 1MHz AM that can travel pretty much around the world).Distance between Mumbai and Pune is 125 KM (Lign of Sight, not road), and you can not catch a FM signal from more then 70 KM even if your building is 100 meter high (~20 floors).

I Agree on the technical info u have given, becoz I am also a telecom engg. but the fact is that I can receive above mentioned channel with 2-3 even in stereo mode on my Sony music system and also on my Mobile. May be the transmitters are on hill between 2 cities (& antenna of our music system is strong 🙂)

Where are you located in Pune? Can you give up Approx Lat/Long (Google Earth/Maps helps here 😉 ). I remember that most of FM channels work on Mumbai-Pune Expressway as well, mybe FM comapnies have created towers to cater to Expressway since FM in cars is one of the large market segments for FM companies.

I stay near Chinchwad (Latitude: +18.620, Longitude: +73.800) on 3rd floor

When Mumbai has so many FM channels, why Pune is behind on the FM radio map??? Only 1 Pvt. FM channel so far in the city (Radio Mirchi - though it is good, but still need more variety)

FM stations being received 100-200 KMs away from the originating city is no miracle, just pure electronics. How far the signal will be received depends on:

(1) The power of the transmitter - An FM transmitter is just an electronic device that broadcasts electronic energy. Don't faint, but what it broadcasts is actually electric current. Why we don't get a shock by it as we do with normal electric current in our household, is because the power transmitted by FM stations is so less in comparison. An FM transmitter that broadcasts 10 Watts of current (in form of modulated wave energy), can be heard 100 miles away (aerial distance) or even more. See this: All about FM and AM radio broadcasting: PCS Electronics specially the picture at http://www.pcs-electronics.com/schematics/max1rack2.jpg

(2) Availability of LoS (Line of Sight) - FM Signals travel in straight lines. For best possible reception an LoS is required. A person nearer to the transmitting station may not get as good a reception as person much farther but having a better LoS.

(3) Capability of the receiver - The reception also depends on the capability of the receiver. A good receiver can catch and demodulate signals that an ordinary receiver will simply ignore or won't be able to process.

(4) Electric interference - We don't realize it, but there is so much of electrical interference present in our environment. FM reception, like any other device working on RF waves, is subject to electrical interferences. Take a mobile phone with FM near to a computer's CPU when you are listening to FM, the sound quality will drop considerably, take it away, the signal improves.

In brief, it is absolutely no miracle that Mumbai FM stations can be heard in Pune. I'd say, if you use a good external antenna, you can hear Mumbai FM stations in interiors of Maharashtra.

~ Ranjeet Rain

I don't think Line of sight goes to 100 or 200 KM. That's why range of FM is limited. FM Dixing OR antennas between Mumbai/Pune might be the reason behind this coverage.

I have a question for delhilama..is FM better than AM quality wise? If yes.. why?

FM is better in two ways:1. It has stereo transmission2. Small amounts of noise does not affect FM (Since FM receivers measure frequency not amplitude)