Mumbai FM channels in Pune

• Thread starter Thread starter SVK
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 48
  • Views Views 43,574
FM can deliver CD quality audio. But then the signal strength is highly dependent on the length of the antenna and the location of the user. This is not the case with AM 🙂

@Cyberwiz.Yes, technically, FM is better than AM. A radio station piggybacks radio signal to broadcast over a another signal (called carrier, and the process called Modulation). A receiver demodulates the composite signal to seperate the main signal from the carier. In AM broadcast, the varying quantity is the Amplitude, whereas in FM boadcast, its frequency. In both cases the composite signal is susceptible to degradation when it travels far. The difference is that, degradation in apmlitude is more prone to loss than the frequency. Hence, the loss in quality in case of FM transmission is much less than in AM. Obviously, FM generally produces much better sound quality than AM.@netfreak>> I don't think Line of sight goes to 100 or 200 KM. Radius of Earth is 6378.16 KMs. 100 KM divided by 6378.16 KMs is 0.015678 %. Flat enough? 100 KMs is perfectly LoS, when it comes to Earth.>> 1. It has stereo transmissionWhere did you get that from?FM is just a broadcast technology. Whether a radio station uses it for Mono broadcast or stereo, is entirely upto the radio station. Tomorrow, Some radio station may want to broadcast Dolby encoded 5.1 program material in 2 channels stereo over FM. Will that make FM a 5.1 broadcast system?FM is not stereo. FM is usually stereo. It is stereo, if: (1) You are tuned to a station broadcasting in stereo (2) You have a stereo capable receiver (excuse the 35 buck handsets) (3) You have good enough reception for the demodulator to demultiplex the stereo signal. If not, it will act as if the signal were Mono~ Ranjeet Rain

ok...clash of the gaints... delhilama vs netfreak! 😛ermm...the range of FM is limited due to:1. Regulations2. Power of transmittersSomewhere in my engineering career I had read that the RANGE of any signal is HIGHLY dependent on the HEIGHT of the antenna 🙂 Now, there is obviously a limitation on how HIGH one can build an antenna. Also, there are regulations in place for civil FM transmission to be restricted between 87.5MHz to 108MHz ( am not sure of the range though ). Higher the frequency, higher the signal power, long is the range of the signal. But due to the regulations the limitation on the range.umm...excuse me delhilama, a radio station does NOT piggyback a radio signal on a carrier.The signal which a radio station generates is a baseband signal. The transmission equipment inside the station generates a high powered carrier signal. The baseband signal is then superimposed on the high frequency carrier by modulating the FREQUENCY ( only in case of FM / PM ) of the carrier. This signal is a radio signal which is then transmitted :yahoo😀ont we all love to nitpick? 🙂

Hey... that all above was very nice, & I liked the above posts & views put by you people for the thread started by me :thumbsup:Keep posting more views on FM technology, we will surely like to read it more🙂

Radius of Earth is 6378.16 KMs. 100 KM divided by 6378.16 KMs is 0.015678 %. Flat enough? 100 KMs is perfectly LoS, when it comes to Earth.

Calculation of "line of sight" is bit more complex then that.

This page Line-of-Sight Transmission talk of a method that assumes you are at the same hight as antenna.

This page Math Forum - Ask Dr. Math has a formula that does not make this assumption.

So if height of antenna is 100 meters and your receiver is 2 meters high, line of sight will be 41 km.

Even if you are on 20th floor of a building (approx 100 meters), LOS will be 71 km.

This is the Excel formula : =SQRT(C6^2 + 2*C6*C5) +SQRT(C7^2 + 2*C7*C5)

C5 -- Radius
C6 -- Height of Antenna
C7 -- height of Receiver

Everything is in meters
FM is just a broadcast technology. Whether a radio station uses it for Mono broadcast or stereo, is entirely upto the radio station.

Standard FM broadcast equipment is "Stereo Enabled"
Standard AM broadcast equipment is NOT "Stereo Enabled"

Is that specific enough?

Calculation of "line of sight" is bit more complex then that.

Agreed. But I didn't want to bomabard all forum readers with heavy mathmetics for the heck of it. I just wanted to give a rough idea.

As for the links above, those calculations are based on theory of LoS. LoS cannot be calculated using those methods as it exists in real life. Those methods assume trasmission in an area where there is nothing between the transmitter and the receiver. It also assumes that the earth's surface would be in a perfect plane. It also does not take into account the refracting/bouncing waves. None of those assumptions is true. Going by those assumptions it would be impossible to receive the transmission right under the transmitting tower if there is an obstruction inbetween the transmitter and the receiver. But that is not the case in real life. In real life, the definition of LoS doesn't work that well. Due to their very nature, Radio Wawes tend to refract, making the transmission multidimensional rather than unidirectional, as the theories above would suggest. Calculating LoS coverage area based on what college text-books or some page on Internet suggests is kiddish, as those are only for illustrative purposes.

In real life, LoS is a lot more than just that. The coverage area of a transmission is strengthened or weekend by the medium it travels thru and obstructing/reinforcing energies present in it. Practically, a transmission would be available in a wider coverage area than a calculation will tell you it will.

Standard FM broadcast equipment is "Stereo Enabled"
Standard AM broadcast equipment is NOT "Stereo Enabled"

Is that specific enough?

Of course it is, the only problem is that, that is about the broadcast equipment, not FM, the broadcast technology. There is a difference.

~ Ranjeet Rain

So, do you have a better for calculating LoS distance that does not involve terrain information?Checked up Motorola guide for calculating LoS [They guaranty operation ONLY if sender and receiver are in LoS]. And they seem to use the same formula.

They murder the song by inserting Radio Mirchi at the beginning of every song. Who gave those bloody b*****ds the right to tamper with the song! I call them Radio Ch****ya.

When will we get another FM station in Pune? Getting sick of the Mirchi monopoly.
Radio City may be 2nd FM channel in Pune. Radio City :: Radio Rocks
From the above article ---
Currently, Radio City is present in Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore, Lucknow and, of late, Hyderabad and Chennai. In the second phase of FM radio expansion, Radio City bagged licences to operate in 16 cities. Soon, it will gain entry into Ahmedabad, Ahmednagar, Akola, Coimbatore, Jalgaon, Nagpur, Nanded, Pune, Sangli, Solapur, Surat, Vadodara and Visakhapatnam

I don't know,but atleast we will have more choice.BTW where do you stay in Pune, did you tried to receive frequencies - 91.1, 92.7, 93.5, 94.8 and also some 2 AIR FM from Mumbai

Market Yard. Don't know what frequencies are available. Lost taste for radio after they started their shenanigans.

Even I hate the mirchi buggers cause they destroy the beginning of every song. No other FM frequencies come in the Camp area. I think its time to install Worldspace. But I really need Worldspace in my car. That news about RadioCity starting in Pune is so old now and nothing has happened. Even 3rd, 4th tiers towns in India now have 2 FM stations apart from AIR. Pune is lagging behind big time.

I have a couple of slightly off-topic questions to technical experts here, though related:Some cars have different types of antennae instead of usual FM antenna (simple metal rod). These look like -- Either a 2nd wire wound on a rod.- Or so called shark-fin type of antenna which is quite small and their appearance is literally like fins of a fish.Questions are-1. Are they meant for purposes other than FM radio?2. Are they in anyway more beneficial (or disadvantageous) than usual antennae?