Mumbai FM channels in Pune

SVK

svknet.wordpress.com
[OP]
Regulars
Jan 19, 2007
svknet.wordpress.com
I can receive 91.1, 92.7, 93.5, 94.8 FM channels of Mumbai in Pune, can anybody explain how it happens, Is anybody else able to receive

Sushubh

Administrator
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
umm. we can listen to FM Radio Channels available in Delhi NCR till Karnal in Haryana... that is like 110-120 KM from Delhi. I guess it depends upon the capabilities of the transmitting towers.

Karan

I am a n00b
Regulars
Aug 23, 2006
Gurgaon
I went to Jaipur a couple of weeks back and they had their own localized version of the same Radio stations we have here in Delhi. Same channels(frequency) different content.

SVK

svknet.wordpress.com
[OP]
Regulars
Jan 19, 2007
svknet.wordpress.com
Now by govt rule any FM channel will have same freq throughout country like BIG FM transmitted on 92.7 throught nation, but I actually receive the Mumbai channels in Pune, as all city events, traffic updates belog to Mumbai. Only official pvt FM channel in Pune is 98.3 radio mirchi having contents Pune based

SVK

svknet.wordpress.com
[OP]
Regulars
Jan 19, 2007
svknet.wordpress.com
Signals of RED FM (93.5) are strong and so this FM can be available in Pune (I guess), but still the signal inside house is not that strong to be received anywhere like local FM channelsNote: I live on 3rd floor, so I think I can receive all FM channel from Mumbai

netfreak

Regulars
Regulars
Sep 8, 2005
Signal of Mumbai "FM" stations being available in Pune ???Thats "impossible" unless these stations have transmittion towers in Hills that are between these cities.Reason is, FM signal are available only on "Line of Sight" (Unlike < 1MHz AM that can travel pretty much around the world).Distance between Mumbai and Pune is 125 KM (Lign of Sight, not road), and you can not catch a FM signal from more then 70 KM even if your building is 100 meter high (~20 floors).

SVK

svknet.wordpress.com
[OP]
Regulars
Jan 19, 2007
svknet.wordpress.com
I Agree on the technical info u have given, becoz I am also a telecom engg. but the fact is that I can receive above mentioned channel with 2-3 even in stereo mode on my SONY music system and also on my Mobile. May be the transmitters are on hill between 2 cities (& antenna of our music system is strong :))

netfreak

Regulars
Regulars
Sep 8, 2005
Where are you located in Pune? Can you give up Approx Lat/Long (Google Earth/Maps helps here ;) ). I remember that most of FM channels work on Mumbai-Pune Expressway as well, mybe FM comapnies have created towers to cater to Expressway since FM in cars is one of the large market segments for FM companies.