Having speed and connectivity problems in Gurgaon since 2 weeks

ISP
BSNL
Hi everyone,

Since the last 2 weeks, I seem to have come across some unusual problem on my BSNL broadband connection. (4 MBPS combo plan)

The speeds keep on fluctuating quite a lot when I try to play a video or download a file from a file sharing website. As an example when I open a video on youtube, it starts buffering at speeds of 400kbps and then the speed fluctuates between that and 0 a lot. (Though when I run speedtest, it always shows ping times under 100 ms and constant speeds of 3.2-3.4 MBPS) A lot of times the video would just stop buffering somewhere in the middle and then I have to refresh the page or restart the download. The same thing happens with most websites when it comes to playing or downloading videos/files. Not only that, a lot of websites don't open on the first try. I receive error messages such as "ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED" or "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG" and other such errors from time to time. At times I have to keep refreshing the same page again and again till it will load. Sometimes, the images or gifs on the webpages will not load, no matter how many times I try, even after closing the browsers/restarting the modem. Also, the webpages take a long time to upload and my bandwidth monitor shows the pages are loading at 5-20kbps irrespective of the no of pages I try to load. (This is something I can't seem to understand because if I put 3 files for download the total speed rises to the max 430K I usually get, but when I try to increase the no of pages, the DL speed of pages loading still doesn't go beyond 30-40K when earlier the pages would load instantly at speeds of 300-400K if I opened many at the same time)

I have been to the exchange and their technicians have visited my place a cpl of times, but the problem still remains. I know quite a few of the exchange people personally and they have done everything from changing peers/ports/DYSLAM (I am not sure of some of the terms) and have even placed my network connection under watch. Though the SDO had said a cpl of times that the BSNL gateway had been down (Or something along those lines) for the last 7-10 days and that many customers around NCR were witnessing such issues. However, one of my friends close to our place also has BSNL broadband and his connection seems to be working fine.

Can somebody shed more light on why I am experiencing this problem? Could their be an issue with my modem? (It is ADSL2 Plus Beetel) Though I have tried using multiple computers/phones and borrowed a Cisco modem from a friend and even though surfing was a bit better with that, the problems were more or less still there.

My SNR is around 23-25 for both D/L and U/L. Data rates are 4096 and 600KBPs. Line attenuation is 32.0 and 16.3. And I do get some HEC and CRC errors but they are few and far between.

Has anyone using BSNL broadband in the Gurgaon/NCR region been experiencing similar issues of late? Can I do something else to check if the problem lies somewhere withing the equipment I am using or from the exchange/server side? I would really appreciate any help from your side.

Try using Control+Shift+V when copy pasting from another source.

or bug them. Make them hard to keep phone on cradle.

Something to bug BSNL employees. Like redial until it gets connected 😉