Ideal format for 2011 World Cup

mhsabir

Xclusive
[OP]
Regulars
Oct 7, 2006
Chennai
With so much criticism of the format & length of 2007 World Cup. What do you think would be the ideal solution in temrs of format, days & also making sure minnows also get a chance. I have my suggestion Have 3 Groups of 5 Teams Each (15 Teams in All) = 30 Matches/15 DaysTop Two of each group qualify for Super Six = 12 Matches/12 Days(Carry Forward of the matches played between top two of each groupSemi Finals & Final = 3 Matches/3 Days With a week or so of rest days/rain days in between - Approxmately 35-40 days. Give your ideas

blr_p

Regulars
Regulars
May 26, 2005
What are the complaints about the current setup ?..so we know what improvements to suggest.

Sushubh

Administrator
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
every single team to play every other team. top four teams goes to semi finals.its not soccer that we have 32 teams playing in the world cup. we hardly have 5-6 decent cricket playing countries.

mhsabir

Xclusive
[OP]
Regulars
Oct 7, 2006
Chennai
I dont see ICC having a world cup with a Test Nation being "dropped" hence I see a minimum of 10 teams atleast for the next two world cups. Also with their policy with giving chances to minnows . I see a few more being added to that number. Hence this topic needs discussion from a more realistic point of view. The current format had two problems 1)No.of Matches/Days = 52/45 days 2) 1 Defeat & a Team could get knocked out My suggested format has 45 matches/35 days...Each Team gets to play atleast four Matches instead of three ...Also three So-called Big nations in each group would mean even the 1st round would have prople having some basic interest in it

vebk

Mr. Advocate
Regulars
Jan 8, 2005
New Delhi
agree with Sushubh...... plus they really should do something about all the advertisements on the TV broadcast... it's getting too ridiculous... you feel like you are basically watching advertisements, with a little break for Cricket here and then. Channels (and I suppose BCCI) really need to sit down and come up with a better business model, and more innovative ways to advertise.

Sushubh

Administrator
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
even steve waugh complained abt that when he was watching a match in india at a restaurant. :D

blr_p

Regulars
Regulars
May 26, 2005
Heh, yeah, it becomes fact when you see it in writing.Terrible turnoff. the same shit at least a 100 times.If you are worried about low viewer numbers, this has to be a good one.then they say, not happy, would you prefer pay-per-view/match ?But i think thats is nonsense.There is no one here to take them to task, so they do what they want.SO maybe if someone parodies it, the excesive amout of ads, the message might get through.

mhsabir

Xclusive
[OP]
Regulars
Oct 7, 2006
Chennai
From Wikipedia :"Late in 2007, the four host nations agreed upon a revised format for the 2011 World Cup, in which 14 teams will participate instead of 16. The first round of the tournament will be a round-robin similar to the one held in South Africa in the 2003 edition in which the 14 teams are divided into 2 groups of 7 teams each. The 7 teams play each other once with the top four from each group qualifying for the quarter-finals. The format ensures that each team gets to play a minimum of six matches even if they are ruled out of the tournament due to early defeat."The qualifiers for QF are pretty much known and from there its a lottery like in 1996 - Do not like it.