Why is Indian government pushing Aadhaar cards?

• Thread starter Thread starter India_King
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 26
  • Views Views 5,618
So after all the Supreme Court orders and Privacy concerns, why Govt is keep pushing Aadhar project?

UIDAI covers 67% residents, generates 81.78 crore Aadhaar numbers - The Economic Times

Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has generated as many as 81.78 crore Aadhaar numbers, covering 67 per cent of the population in the country, Parliament was informed today.

The total number of Aadhaar numbers generated by UIADAI stood at 81.78 crore as on April 20, Planning Minister Rao Inderjit Singh said in written reply to a Lok Sabha question.
Taking into account India's population at 121 crore as per Census 2011, the UIDAI has generated Aadhaar number for over 67 per cent residents in the country.

The maximum number of Aadhaar numbers was generated in Uttar Pradesh at 10.48 crore, as compared to a population of 19.95 crore in the state.

Supreme Court stance on Aadhar

The Supreme Court has reiterated an earlier order with regards to the Aadhaar card, directing the Centre and states to ensure that no person is denied benefits for not having the same.

According to reports, the three-judge bench, which was headed by Justice Jasti Chelameswar, said that the court expects the government to adhere to the order dated September 23, 2013.

The court further said that no person should suffer through lack of the Aadhaar card, despite the issuing of a circular that made the card mandatory.

Supreme Court warns govt not to deny rights to citizens for want of Aadhaar - The Times of India

Aadhaar card not mandatory for government schemes: Supreme Court | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis

It would be easy then to deliver a lot of things to the public if they have an identity.

Recently when I was trying to get mtnl Sim I was told aadhar card is mandatory to submit for it.

In bsnl also it was easy to get connection with aadhar card Dan ration card.

Plain lies. Supreme Court ruling has been pretty clear. No government body can make aadhaar mandatory for anything.

So how is verification done by just submitting a photocopy of the document?

Submitting a photocopy of any document is just for physical reference. Actual verification is done on the backend. For example when you submit your pancard(copy)/ aadhar - when required the company/institution/ body can refer to it about you and verify you on a specific basis by requesting information form the govt on some basis . They don't have access to all the information.

When it comes to ID verification, it depends on the purpose or situation, some entities only accept pan card/voter card/driving license, which has a photo, id number * , and some info.

These days adhar card has more info than these id's, even though Supreme Court made it clear, institutions are making it mandatory for many services for example (DBTL) Scheme, they are using it as an alternate to PAN Card or Voter card etc. At the same time institutions are not highly demanding aadhar card yet they are prioritizing it more.

I think they just want to lesser the documentations or stuff.

Recently when I was trying to get mtnl Sim I was told aadhar card is mandatory to submit for it.

In bsnl also it was easy to get connection with aadhar card Dan ration card.

Well its not mandatory, but instead of giving in pancard, you could use aadhar card.
It contains both photo, signature and address. So you might not need any more documents.

so basically... they would accept a photocopy and only call you for biometric verification in case they think something is suspicious? coolio.

by the way... what provisions has government established for me if my biometric data is stolen? did they bother creating privacy laws ensuring that i at least have some safety from poor security standards that government might be following for storing this data?

if you visit any local post office, you would notice that undelivered aadhaar cards are scattered all around the place. you can easily pick up a bundle and bring it back with you.

pretty darn easy to get ID documents of tons of people.

That's true 🙄.
Well on the end of verification, i have heard that when companies have to pay some sort of fees for verification of their customers, well i haven't looked upon it much, but I think there is. Depending on the company or institution.

Well 🙂 you gave me a topic about! Anyways about photocopies of documents, its unless unless there is a method of verification right, well anyone can forge fake ones, and just print them.

I dont know about that, biometric data are mostly stored on Indian servers. I dont think any hacker would try to mess with the govt, unless he has some serious skills. These days cyber police department are getting smarter with tech.

About Undelivered aadhar cards, yeah that can be some problem.It might be not everyone, not all post office have aadhar card scattered around like that, or maybe it does. Who knows!

But that could be misused.

Plain lies. Try to open a new bank account.They need aadhar card. New sim? Aadhar card. Poor/illiterate people are plainly told to get aadhar card or else their govt work won't be done.

I had to lie that I lost my aadhar card during opening a new bank account coz they didnt accept new accounts without aadhar cards.

Thankfully private companies are not pushing it as they do not like to lose a customer. I had to drop plans to get a LPG connection in my name because of similar hassles.

Plain lies. Try to open a new bank account.They need aadhar card. New sim? Aadhar card. Poor/illiterate people are plainly told to get aadhar card or else their govt work won't be done.

I had to lie that I lost my aadhar card during opening a new bank account coz they didnt accept new accounts without aadhar cards.

Time Of India - news
Opening a savings bank account just got easier and faster. With the launch of Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana, customers can walk into a public or private sector bank with their Aadhaar card and open a zero-balance SB account instantly. But Aadhaar is not mandatory.

But if you have Aadhar card, why bother ?

In future, if govt will decide to withhold only one card or account or ID ' with most of the information upon citizens, things would be more hassle free.