• Thread starter Thread starter chashti
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 32
  • Views Views 9,321

chashti

ISP
air
Hi
Can any one let me know how to get rid of 8 digit number displayed every 15 minutes on screen on Tata Sky TV?

It is very irritating. Although it is used by Tata sky to track illegal use of their signal but for other users like me it is very irritating as it is flashed by set top box every 15 minutes. They should at least reduce its frequency to twice or thrice a day.

Want to know is there any way to get rid of this.

Ya I agree its very irritating to have the number every few mins .... But afaik there is no way to get rid of tht....

it shud not be there at all. it shud only be shown on demand. like lets say they come to ur home to check if u r legal owner. they can simply press a button and check the number. whats the use displaying it again and again? anyway i dont have Tata Sky lol.

Is it a fact that the number appears so that they can track illegal reproduction / distribution of their content? or could it be more, say, something like a technical fault that they are too lazy to correct?Even if it is for the former reason, I don't think it would be for the purpose of them coming to your home and checking! 😀 I think it would be meant more for when they find some content on youtube - say a cricket match clip, they can track it back to who did it. (But I doubt that is the reason either).

well for youtube u can edit frames.its basically for stopping cable ops from piracy. in future when they start offering exclusive channels they can easily track which account it is being stolen from and shown on cable live.

And if Cable Operator Using Tata Sky Service to broacast a particular channel

I think main reason is to track cable operators that take feed from digital (CAS/ DTH etc) and distribute it over analog channels that are not regulated. In that case companies wont know actual number of users.With these numbers, those operators can be tracked easily.However, it could be made transparent to human eye if done properly. Instead of a obvious black box, watermark could gell with scene colors. Just like laser printers that print pertier's ID with each color printout but its not obvious to eyes. It is done so that if someone tries to print any Security [money / bonds etc] then it can be tracked back to the printer.

I agree with that

But can’t they reduce its frequency?
I believe that set top box is responsible for generation of these numbers.

What is the use of all that digital quality picture and cd quality sound which they proudly advertise in their promotional channel or adds if that number takes your attention while watching TV (watching some thing interesting).

I would have never gone for Tata Sky if they would have informed me about this while I was purchased it.🙁

well such numbers appear even with cable ops. i see such numbers so many times even with my cable op. so u cant do away with it anyway even if u didnt have Tata Sky.

yeah - this is not something new w.r.t. DTH... this has been there for many years with regular cable (hence my suggestion that perhaps it's a technical thing they are too lazy to solve). The main thing is that someone should take them to court for deficient service... or failing that, at least create such a nuisance for them (in terms of say bad publicity) that they stop it.

they should atleast try to time it .. so that it appears only during commercials

Please do send them a letter of complaint. They won't even think of changing it unless they know it's pissing people off.

Sushubh, there is a difference between the Watermarks that you see on Tata Sky and on ESPN. The one you see on ESPN is shown on that channel only, irrespective of whether you watch it on Tata or on Cable TV.That is from ESPN directly. The watermark from Tata Sky appears on all the channels at the same time even if you change the channel. Though the reason for both is same i.e. to curb the piracy. So if you are watching ESPN and both ESPN and Tata Sky display the watermark at the same time, you will see 2 different watermarks at the same time. This can't be the case with the Cable operator.

now if cable operator also starts adding his watermark we will have screen full of watermarks. LOL