wifi modems

mr_india83

[OP]
Sep 30, 2006
Hi I have smart ax 880 modem ,UL 256 Kbps connection.I want to install a wifi network for my laptop i have a few quires related to this.1. Is it better to go for modem given by bsnl (what is the difference between type I II III,Type IV modem ??)or opt for a separate modem (Can u suggest any models)2.Do I need my old modem for installing wifi ?Thanks and regardsJoseph

ultra vires

O.o
Regulars
Nov 28, 2004
Fisrt u need need to decide wether u need a Wireless Access Point and use the BSNL's router or go in for a Wireless router..Good WAP's come for around 2.5k (LinkSys) and you can get a Netgear's WiFi router for arnd 2k (i for one would go for a wireless router and do away with BSNL's modem/router).

mr_india83

[OP]
Sep 30, 2006
Fisrt u need need to decide wether u need a Wireless Access Point and use the BSNL's router or go in for a Wireless router..
Good WAP's come for around 2.5k (LinkSys) and you can get a Netgear's WiFi router for arnd 2k (i for one would go for a wireless router and do away with BSNL's modem/router).

Does the performance of a WiFi router differ from the normal modem in terms of speed.

Archer

Mar 7, 2006
joseph.. although you'll not see any noticable difference in the browsing speeds (relatively) when you try to transfer files across computers on the network - you'll feel the pain.. a LAN connection (10/100) offers upto 100mbs data transfer (theoritcialy) but the wi-fi has limitation depending on the hardware.. 802.11a has a bandwidth of around 5-8mbps; 802.11b has around 11mbps and the 802.11g is 54mbps.. also, your 'speed' of browsing is dependent on the hardware you have.. for example, i've a AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 2.0Ghz with 2GB DDR RAM 410GB SATA HDD and twin 7300GT in SLI - needless to say if i type google and press Ctrl+Enter the page is displayed in under 2sec. ;)oh and another thing.. don't do the mistake of playing multiplayer games on wi-fi.. it gives you serious lag! trust me.. i've tried it :D