• Thread starter Thread starter inetbum
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 4,786

inetbum

Regulars
ISP
MTNL TriBand Combo Unlimited
Sify made me download dialer 2.7 yesterday and slapped an EULA on me. They didn't have one prior to this version. I'd suggest sify users read the EULA completely because it apart from containing the usual proprietary software crap like you can only use this software on a single computer etc., seemingly forbids one to make an alternative login client 😱

Here are some of the relevant quotes from the EULA--

License Restrictions  : You may not make or distribute copies of the Software, or electronically transfer the Software from one computer to another or over a network.You may not alter, merge, modify, adapt or translate the Software, or decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, or otherwise reduce the Software to a human-perceivable form.You may not sell, rent, lease, or sublicense the Software.

You may not modify the Software or create derivative works based upon the Software.

You shall not use the Software to develop any software or other technology having the same primary function as the Software, including but not limited to using the Software in any development or test procedure that seeks to develop like software or other technology, or to determine if such software or other technology performs in a similar manner as the Software.
[/b]

A paragraph states what happens if you don't follow Sify's impositions--

In the event that you fail to comply with this EULA,  Sify may terminate the license and you must destroy all copies of the Software (with all other rights of both parties and all other provisions of this EULA surviving any such termination).[/b]

So Sify wants to keep the functioning of its systems, software and mechanisms totally secret and closed while serving us below sub-standard products and services. Why don't they first improve their services and then come up with such diktats?

And just read this--
You agree that Sify Ltd. may audit your use of the Software for compliance with these terms at any time, upon reasonable notice. In the event that such audit reveals any use of the Software by you other than in full compliance with the terms of this Agreement, you shall reimburse Sify Ltd. for all reasonable expenses related to such audit in addition to any other liabilities you may incur as a result of such non-compliance. Your license rights under this EULA are non-exclusive. Certain rights are not granted under this Agreement, but may be available under a separate agreement. [/b]

So Sify will turn big brother on us whenever it suspects us of non-compliance with its draconian rules and spy on us, and then charge us for its spying (lol!) in addition to charging us a penalty. I really don't trust Sify anymore. Wouldn't know what it is up to when I see the hour glass figure pop up and stay for sometime while the Sify client is running, or when the client takes ages to launch itself on a Windows 98 machine

where are the people who think that i go overboard when i say that sify broadband sucks?

Allright, they can't make a half decent client now, neither do they want anyone else to help out sify users with an alternate client. This sucks as usual, but its not surprising 🙄Anyway, I haven't touched the windows client since a long time, and I haven't "agreed" to any eula. Lets see what they can do.Perhaps version 2.7 brought new changes in the authentication structure? Now I am unable to login with the unofficial linux C client 🙁

Well thats what sify is.enjoy while its lasts only at sify broadband ha ha ha ha ha haps: There is no rush sify will come up with another way to make your lifes hell soon

Yeah what about the earlier ones? The software that was developed before this EULA. If you have not downloaded or used the 2.7 client then what?What do they mean by audits? Are they going to come to our houses and see what software we're using? What is reasonable notice?Geez they're annoying but there must be some reason they want people to only use their client. I stand by my earlier assertation that they're upset we're not being forced to go to their damn main page everytime we login but do you think there's something else? I mean it is a rather mean EULA they must have a good reason for it. It makes me wonder what else that client is doing.....

They basically are saying that you can't develop an alternative client or try to understand how Sify login works. They are not saying that you can't use an alternative client. So the EULA seems aimed at the developers(which in the end affects us but not directly) and the only part for ordinary users is fairly regular stuff like we can't copy or sell the software etc.

typical foolishness,instead of making their client better they are trying others to stop making better clients.

Then what about this line?You agree that Sify Ltd. may audit your use of the Software for compliance with these terms at any time, upon reasonable notice. In the event that such audit reveals any use of the Software by you other than in full compliance with the terms of this Agreement, you shall reimburse Sify Ltd. for all reasonable expenses related to such audit in addition to any other liabilities you may incur as a result of such non-compliance. Your license rights under this EULA are non-exclusive. Certain rights are not granted under this Agreement, but may be available under a separate agreement.It seems to apply to the users.

Ah yes, so if we use alternative clients Sify might find it out and say we were testing out Sify's login mechanism or aiding in the development of alternative clients 😉.Seems best way is to not agree to their EULA and carry on using your clients for as long as possible 😀