• Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 6,884

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
I needed a suggestion for a notebook which would be purchased in the United States. Budget is around 1200-1300 USD and the basic requirement is that it should have a decent Core 2 Duo processor with at least 1 Gig RAM. A decent quality graphic card would be a good addition which supports the Aero and other crap in the Vista OS. Now, I would need some branded product suggestions. Exact model number and if possible a link to the deal page…One primary question is that if I purchase the laptop with a paid support package from the company itself let's say Dell. Would they honor that support and warranty in India?

I dont know exactly, but one of my friends got an Acer notebook from singapore, his DVD RAM started malfunctioning agter 6 months, but Acer India refused to provide any warranty. Thry said u have to go to singapore. So make sure, they give u global warranty which shud include india.Dell, HP/Compaq wud be better brands I suppose.

right. Dell and HP are the two i was checking out. even have a dell model in mind. i am just not sure if the warranties provided to US people would be valid in india.the simple case is that i live in US i get the laptop. i come to india for some work. laptop has some issues. i need emergency support. am i supposed to wait till i get back to usa?

I dont think these companies give global warranties or warranties in specific countries (apart from place of purchase ofcourse !).There is also some funda about "Carry in" warranty or something similar. Dont know what that means.Have you considered Toshiba ? I have an office Toshiba laptop and somehow I found it better than the other brand laptops. Especially the speaker quality is very good.Sorry to not offer any concrete suggestions 🙂 but just thought of adding my 2 bits.cheers

toshiba laptops are of course awesome. but they are on the higher side. am looking for a budget purchase. but nothing from Acer. 😀

Are you looking for a 17incher or 15.4 will do ?I personally prefer Dell (i have the Inspiron 9300), but HPs are good too.If you are looking for a 17inch, i'd suggest you go for the HP Dv9000t . The build is really good and will fit your price and requirements perfectly. (plus it comes with a megapixel webcam, if you fancy it at all)

I would suggest go for the
Toshiba Satellite Pro P100-327 - Core 2 Duo T7400 Notebook

Features :
* Intel® Centrino® Duo Mobile Technology featuring Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T7400

* Clock speed : 2.16 GHz

* Cache L2 - 4 Mb

* Ram - Standard : 2,048 (1,024+1,024) MB
maximum expandability : 4,096 MB
technology : DDR2 RAM (533 MHz)

* 200 gb S.M.A.R.T. Hard Disk

* DVD Super Multi drive

* Screen 17 " 1,440 x 900 resolution

* NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7600 512 MB graphics card

Miscellaneous :
1 x DC-in
1 x line-in
1 x external monitor
1 x RJ-11
1 x RJ-45
1 x TV-out (s-video)
1 x i.LINK® (IEEE 1394)
1 x external microphone
1 x headphone (stereo)
1 x 5-in-1 Bridge Media slot (supports SD™ Card, Memory Stick®, Memory Stick Pro™, MultiMedia Card™, xD-Picture Card™)
1 x SP/DIF (optical) shared with headphone socket
1 x DVI-out
4 (Left 1, Right 2, Rear 1) x USB 2.0

Price : £ 1,099.00

ya and i have used it personally it rocksand BTW if u need anything cheaper go for fujitsu or compaq

wow nice lappy. 😀 but its 1099 pounds, so kinda costly.
i suggest you to go for some HP/compaq model.(they look very cool compared to others 😀)
my dad had brought a hp laptop from us at the end of feb. here's the config:
hp pavilion dv2210us
amd turion 64 x2 tl-52 1.6ghz, 1gb ram, 120gb hard disk, nvidia geforce do 6150, 14.1 inch tft screen, 8x dvd+/-rw lightscribe drive, windows vista home premium.
all this for $1028 (with taxes). its amd but just mentioned it, might give you some idea. 🙂

Wait until the end of month,lots of new stuff coming to laptopNew platform ,dx10 gpu's...

right. Dell and HP are the two i was checking out. even have a dell model in mind. i am just not sure if the warranties provided to US people would be valid in india.

the simple case is that i live in US i get the laptop. i come to india for some work. laptop has some issues. i need emergency support. am i supposed to wait till i get back to usa?

I had got my Inspiron 9300 from the US, when i was on a holiday there. Got it with a three year - onsite warranty which cost me about $200-$300 more. That warranty i got transferred to India when i came back.

So basically you just have to make a call and tell them u have got it from there and u're gonna use it here. They'll do the rest.

The Dell customer service is pretty good, my screen got a few dead pixels after like a year and they sent their guy within 2 days and replaced the LCD.