• Thread starter Thread starter boygr8
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 1,812

boygr8

Regulars
ISP
MTNL Broadband
Yesterday night I downloaded around 300 MB. I have scheduled my router to reboot at 7:40 and again at 7:44 AM ( so that it ends session in advance ( usually MTNL's clock is a bit early running 14 mins fast.However when I checked today morning at 11 AM in MTNL's session history, my night session was not recorded.Then i rebooted the router and session got recorded. But out of 300 MB downloaded around 100-120 MB were recorded in day usage. Now I am preety sure that the windows task scheduler did reboot my router( not once but twice) but MTNL didnt end my session. Any workarounds that a similar situation again might be averted???? Shud I complain to MTNL

MTNL doesnt record NU , EVEN if windows task scheduler is enabled or not . i myself stop the router at around 8.15-8.30 many times and the mbs downloaded after 8 is counted , and yes ,this aint once , this is from a long time (nearly month or more) . Also when the stats show , i have noticed it shows the session started at around 5-6 am in the morning till around 8.15-8.30 (i.e the time u had stopped) . even tho it shows the session fom 5 am-6am ( random time) the mbs counted are strictly from 8 am , its only becos of their poor coding its shows 5-6 am at the start of that session .also MTNL still says that u have to reboot the router before 8 , even tho MTNL does take care the download usage is from 8 am onwards , but if u complain , wont make any sense cos they will not have any knowledge about u using task scheduler or the task scheduler itself and how it works and stuff , in the end they'll say it was YOUR responsilbility to CLOSE/STOP the router before 8 ( not using task scheduler to reboot the router ) since they specify it very clearly in the page .

Point is My router did reboot b4 8 AM, who did it me or scheduler is another story. But router was rebooted, but usage was still counted in daytime.

It reboots at 7:55 AM (mtnl time) and then 7:58 AM (mtnl time) again. Now I am afraid of downloading in Night again.

Dude, I know this may not sound good, but the MTNL recording system is pretty stable now. I've never faced a situation when I rebooted the router and my session did not end. Earlier the MTNL server was down for long periods, that was the only time when my sessions were not recorded. MTNL (Delhi at least, I don't know about Mumbai) now has a quite stable session recording mechanism, without any flaws (IMHO). I have seen Windows Task Scheduler and other schedulers like FDM forgetting to do their jobs. It has happened with me. The telnet reboot method waits for login to be accepted and gives up if the router does not respond within 20 secs or so. So many a times, even if the reboot task is run, it is not 100% guarenteed that your router will be rebooted. That is why, I, myself have scheduled 3 reboots, one at 7:52, 7:54, and 7:56. After that, to make sure that the download is stopped, I schedule a shutdown at 7:57. This way, I have made it fool-proof. Anyways, if you have logs of your router being rebooted somewhere, you can go ahead and contact the GM.

wake up early and reboot yourself do some yoga!(and i'm serious)

wake up at 7:57(you can put many alarms if you want 😛), reboot the router, shut down the computer and then go back to sleep!!! 😀 thats what i do. 😀 (and i need only one alarm 😛)