DIAS - Dataone Alternative

• Thread starter Thread starter Somjit
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 18
  • Views Views 4,290

Somjit

With effect from June 1, 2005, BSNL's DIAS Internet Access plans shall be priced as under: Monthly rental plan will be charged at Rs 300, Free usage - 0.5GB (Plan 0)Rs 500, free usage per month - 1.0GB (Plan I)Rs 900, free usage per month at 2.0GB (Plan II) Rs 3000 for Plan III. The usage per month is unlimited for Plan III. Additional usage shall be charged for first three Plans at Rs 2 per MB.The activation charges are priced at Rs 500 for all the Plans. There shall be no security deposit.

somjit,can anyone switch over to DIAS from Dataone. Is the technology same? Is the same modem will be used for DIAS. What is the normal spped of DIAS?One more thing, the latest schme of BSNL given an idea that their Dataone plans will be much higher than the present one, is not it?sanjitcx

i am just amused at their new rates... are they applicable on the current users as well? what is the source? need some answers 🙂

Well....The above rates are for DIAS and not for dataone. The second thing is although plan III seems to be interesting they didnt mention the speeds at which connection will be provided. I guess it will be 56kbps and not more than that since this is a dial up connection ...and paying 3000 for such speeds is really waste of money

The speed of DIAS is 128 kbps maximum. 64 kbps for data and 64 kbps for voice. When you make a call or receive a call your Data transfer speed will be 64 kbps. Other time (ie. when there is no voice transfer) you will get 128 kbps speed for internet. When you use the Internet, your phone line will not be busy, ie. simultaneously you can send Voice and Data.The technology is DSL. The Dataone technology is ADSL, that means in DIAS upload and download frequency is same. Whereas in Dataone upload and download frequency is different. So in DIAS upload will affect download and vice versa. In case of Dataone upload is in dependent of download.DIAS facility will be provided in your existing telephone line.

Originally posted by Sushubh@May 28 2005, 11:39 AM
so this is not the famed bsnl broadband rates? i am kinda confused...
[snapback]10392[/snapback]
[/quote]

DIAS is NOT Braodband. TRAI has stated clearly that anything below 256 kbps cannot be advertised as Braodband. Here in case of DIAS the maximum speed you get is 128 kbps.

That's what I could have said if I could access the forum for the last 3 days!But DIAS service is not upto the mark. Our school has two DIAS connections which are almost non functional. The DSL link does not remain steady for most of the time inspite of the distance being about 300m from the exchange!

Sorry to say but DIAS works fine and I have one DIAS working on m Dads comp and another 2 connectiosn with close freinds. All work fine.I agree DIAS is 128 while TRAI defines Broadband as Min 256. DIAS is baby BB I guess. DIAS is also offered thru copper line of telephone like BB but it halfs out in speed as said by our freind here when a voice call is there. DIAS is not supported by all exchanges as well.

But I don't know what u would say when u hear that according to Calcutta Telephones, DIAS is available in Sodepur and Panihati ! :lol:In the 11th and 12th satndard, (2003-2005), I was the unofficial incharge of the Institution's computer lab (hardware), so no one in the institution has seen the situation as closely as me. So, when the link is ok, the speed is simply blazing! But when the DSL link goes off, it does not come back within that day! Rebooting the modem/replugging didn't help and the exchange is barely 300m from the institution!Now comment on what I have said !

Registered User No 1 of Calcutta Telephones is my own Nephew. To the best of my knoweldge Calcutta was the first city to have DIAS so probably he may even be the first Registered user of the country. I got his connection done. After that we have taken over 4 connections and I have got atleast another dozen guys to take it. All are happy with it till date. Except that most of them migrated to Broadband now.2240/2247/2287 exchange does not support DIAS. Check it out. Except for the brief period last year when Spammer or some Worm hit XP comps, there was not any time when DIAS gave a problem.I still concede that you may be right though I have seen DIAS pretty closely. I rest my case.

Why just fuss among ourselves with this trivial topic.Its agreed by that every part of a country or state does not receive the same service. And our feedbacks are based on our personal experiences. So why bother ourselves ?Lets enjoy, not flame at others, isn't it ?Thanks Mr. Bharat for the discussion... :lol:

These DIAS rates sort of give a preview. If the DIAS unlimited is 3k then how can we expect BSNL to make the Dataone rates cheaper.I was hoping for an increase in datacaps or unlimited packages June 30th hence..Looks like it may prove to be nothing..Well bad luck for us and for BSNL most of all..🙂