High Latency: Bad for gamers | Any Solution?

• Thread starter Thread starter kalesh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 3,972

kalesh

ISP
MTNL Unlimited 256kbps
finally i got fed up from getting 500+ ping time on game servers and decided to get into the bottom of it.

I usually play diablo 2 on server ASIA . Heres a traceroute.

Tracing route to Asia.battle.net [211.233.0.79]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms

Its actually not MTNL's fault inasmuch as the fault lies with Flag telecom i.e their upstream Bandwidth provider..though MTNL can be blamed for not monitoring the quality of service they get from Flag ie the absurd routing from FLAG..Since MTNL would not do anything i emailed FLAG directly asking them for reason for the Circuitous route..I complained of high pings on India >> HKG route..where data is being routed through EGypt , Yet to recieve any response..presumably coz of Easter/gd friday holidayz & the weekend..

The crux of the problem lies here i think..I did a whois on hop 6 and 7....6 39 ms 37 ms 41 ms 62.216.145.57 --------------> london7 203 ms 187 ms 193 ms so-6-2-0.0.cjr02.ldn004.flagtel.com [62.216.128.141] -------------------> london Both belong to flag telecom ... and i think are on the same network(maybe close distance...)..but the latency is a whooping 150+ ms.. so if this can be taken care of it would make matters a lot better.@ cyberwiz : can ya send me the email of the person u contacted....il too send them some HATE mails...

Thats not where the problem is, 62.216.145.57 is in India , whois merely says the IP address belongs to FLAG telelcom of GB
150 ms jump from mumbai to London is ok..

Problem is with their absurd routing..earlier they were routing all data bound for east Asia thru HKIX, now for some reason they are not using that link..and using all sorts of circuitos routes to get their data from India to E Asia

I complained to servicedesk@flagtelecom.com ..monday would be a good idea to drop in an email...

i read somewhere ..the taiwan earthquake did some damage to cables laid in oceans..maybe that could be the reason..il mail them on monday..lets see what happens..

QUOTE(Kalesh @ Apr 8 2007, 04:00 PM) [snapback]86712[/snapback]
i read somewhere ..the taiwan earthquake did some damage to cables laid in oceans..maybe that could be the reason..

il mail them on monday..lets see what happens..[/b]

no point man... i play wow on the same blizzard servers. On mtnl 750 ms ping times are common in most wow realms

QUOTE(jayesh @ Apr 8 2007, 08:07 PM) [snapback]86747[/snapback]
no point man... i play wow on the same blizzard servers. On mtnl 750 ms ping times are common in most wow realms[/b]

then theres definetly some prob with connection...

here are my avg ping times:

ASIA : use to get 250-300ms now 500+
US-EAST: 250-300ms
US-WEST:250-300ms
EUROPE:210-250ms

how the hell u manage to play at 750ms man....i now have quitted on ASIA due to 500+ ping times...have started fresh on US-EAST...750+ is huge...

and people with good internet connection( in japan, korea, US ... ) get

How do i play ..? simple i switched over to vsnl as my backup isp. For now its holding its peace.... 350-500 ms ping in a 20 main raid..so all good