Regular
[OP]
Regulars
Apr 30, 2005
Iasqa

Last edited:
A

agnivo007

Hmm... A 0.9m dish would add a techy look to our 40feet high house I guess !

bugatti

Regular
Regulars
Dec 10, 2004
You want satellite broadband? nice, just get a zeenext connection. They get their internet from intelsat uk. Ping times are horrid.Inmarsat offers satellite internet but it will cost a buttload of money per hour. Max speed- 128k.In bangalore, hughes had some plan to offer satellite broadband, but it was only for businesses and I think that plan fizzled out because satellite equipment is very costly and bsnl threw a spanner in their works by offering cheap broadband to all.Seriously, stick with dialup until you can get dsl. Regretting your connection after you invest many thousands in satellite equipment is fool hardy. Sat internet is not a decent solution in India. Only in the US and Canada does it even work decently half the time.

blr_p

Regulars
Regulars
May 26, 2005
Originally posted by bugatti@May 31 2005, 11:05 PM
Sat internet is not a decent solution in India. Only in the US and Canada does it even work decently half the time.
[snapback]10839[/snapback]
[/quote]

Heh...yeah. i've read quite a few experiences with sat in those places and its not very pretty. The download speeds can be nearly 400k but the upload speeds can be very slow and costly. If you need to use any protocols that are time sensitive, forget it. The signal has to go from your dish to the satelittle, back down to the ISP, from there to the net, back to the ISP, up to the satellite and back down to you.

Only if your stuck in the middle of nowhere without any hope of getting a wired connection would you consider satelitte.

Vince

Regular
Regulars
May 23, 2005
Originally posted by bugatti@May 31 2005, 05:35 PM
Only in the US and Canada does it even work decently half the time.
[snapback]10839[/snapback]
[/quote]

a couple of my friends in the middle east are plannin to invest in satellite internet, dont know the exact figures, but i think it comes out to approx.Rs.10000 per month, high speed broadband, plus you get tonnes of tv channels(i heard).... i think its good if youlive in say, apartments...but definitely not in India...the market's gotta pick up..