IDEA Prepaid - Stop Data USSD messages

• Thread starter Thread starter georgemp
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 17
  • Views Views 35,169

georgemp

Hi,
I keep getting data usage messages from idea (for even low usage - for example, call charge Rs. 0.01 for data usage of some ridiculously low amount). These messages aren't like normal SMS and completely overlay my screen and need to be dismissed before I can use the phone. If I get 10 messages, then I have to dismiss all of them before using the phone. Sometimes, I get these messages every 10-15 mins and at times between half an hour - depending on the amount of background data usage.
I spoke to Idea customer care and they asked me to disable all background services like Whatsapp (which I don't want to do - I'd rather get these messages than do something as drastic as that). After that, they asked me to send a message STOP to 58595. After doing that I got a message saying that they are processing my request to stop CBC Flash messages, but, nothing after that....and I still get these messages. Is there anyway to stop them (in TamilNadu)? Thanks

Last edited:
I disable cellular data when at home coz of this issue. Even on wifi phone keeps on hitting Cellular data resulting in these messages all the time.

But on an iPhone, these apps are accessible in a different way. First you go to your Settings menu and from there you pick "Phone". At the bottom of the screen that comes next, there's an option that reads "SIM Applications". This is what you need to tap. That's pretty much it, and whatever features the carrier has pre-loaded in the SIM card memory will appear here. Our SIM card, for example, provides billing and payments information, as well as options to view calls we've missed while the phone has been out of service.

@dextermorgan I found that and tried it. But, didn't see anything related to disabling the data usage messages. What's worse? I tried loading my GPRS info/Pricing details from there and I got a USSD message from IDEA asking for final confirmation that I wanted to enable MyFinance for Rs 3. So, I stopped messing around with that 🙂
Until I get a better option, I am going to try @chromaniac 's way of disabling cell usage at home 🙁

Just got an email from IDEA customer care stating they don't have the ability to stop sending data usage messages. So, I guess I'm stuck with turning off cellular data at home and putting up with the messages while out 🙁

Vodafone seems to have nice workaround.

If you have data plan then they dont send USSD messages regarding usage.

If you dont have data plan then they send USSD message after every use.

This way people with data plan do not get disturbed and people without data plan also come to know about amount deducted.

Last edited:
Thanks. But, that DND barring is only for unsolicited advertisements. It has no effect on the data and other usage USSD messages that Idea sends (I already have it active) 🙁