Ping on BF4

• Thread starter Thread starter Srijith
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 11
  • Views Views 6,091
ISP
BSNL
Hey everyone. I signed up to this forum to ask a question anyone using BSNL FTTH. Anyone having bad ping for games such as Battlefield 4 and Hardline. I used to get good 70-80 ping to Singapore servers but for the last 3 weeks now, every time it has been 200+.

Also, before it was not always that I used to get good servers, I had to restart the modem until I hit that sweet spot. Another thing to note I changed my internet plan from I think 1600 or 1800 to 2300 (I now get 175 gb bandwidth). Is that could be a reason?

Please any help would be much appreciated.

Pings on bsnl FTTH are the same as ADSL unfortunately. Maybe a difference of 20-30ms. That's it.

Sorry, I am at the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to knowledge about it. What exactly does happen when you change plans over, could it have made the change ? I was thinking about reverting back to old plan, but I enjoy the bandwidth freedom now in the new plan, hence wanted some information.

It is also worth noting in my particular area of Mysore, Karnataka I have no other option than BSNL for wired-based internet. So, I don't have the option of trying Airtel, etc.

You can't get 175GB bandwidth in ADSL,it might be your LAN speed.Also higher speed doesn't mean you get better speeds.You get similar pings in 512Kbps and 8Mbps connections.BSNL connections get same ping in ADSL and FTTH.BSNL pings are always high to servers outside India.Don't use BSNL for gaming unless its the only ISP in your area.

I meant to say 175 gb of usage, that is my bad.

My question really is how is that sometimes the ping to Singapore servers are 70? Before I used to restart the modem 2-3 times and get that but in the last month that trick has stopped working. Now once in a week if lucky I get that low ping, and I was wondering if there is any way to make it happen like that always. I tried leaving the modem on after getting that low ping but in the morning it would be back to that 200+ ping.

BSNL routing issues.BSNL's routing is controlled by National Internet Backbone of India.Some idiot there has chosen the worst possible route to overseas servers.Or NIB is upgrading their overseas link and hence routes you through different gateways.Eg: connections to Europe used to be from mumbai to paris gateway.Now its from Mumbai->New york->Paris.For singapore it is Mumbai->NewYork->Singapore.So ironically you get lower pings to USA and higher pings to close by countries.BSNL doesn't have much control over their routing links.
Try private ISPs like reliance or airtel to get better pings .

Thanks for the explanation. Unfortunately in the area where I live, BSNL is the only option for wired connection. I am not sure how online gaming, that too BF4 with its high data usage, will work with wireless connection.

Heh. Latency on bsnl is never going to be normal. If your local gateway is bad, you'll get bad pings. Restarting the modem assigns you a different (better) gateway at times, resulting in good pings. It has been like this for a greater part of the past 6 years that I've used BSNL..

there have been undersea cable outages/breaks on the west coast of india. Also there seems to be some problem on the east coast (vietnam) which got rectified recently on jan 23rd.
Once all these are rectified, then hopefully u will get routed in the best possible way.

I ran a tracert to one of my favorite servers and sure enough from Chennai it started to hit 220 ms.