AIB Controversies

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 70
  • Views Views 10,792
There were also several racist and sexist jokes. These go to a public on a large scale. The theme seems to be how much offensive can you get not how funny you can be.

that is standup comedy for you in india. i have stopped going to shows because of the same reason mostly (they are also charging insane prices for tickets). there are only a few comics here in india who can make you laugh without going offensive/vulgar/rude. most comics rely on cheapshots. in almost all the events if there are aged uncle and aunts... most of them are gone within the first 10 minutes.

i have been following the entire team of AIB for 3-4 years now. early on they used to perform in pubs. you paid rs. 300-500 for entry. but you got tokens for the same value to spend on food/liquor. pub owners used to share with them a percentage of the profits i guess. or fixed fee per event.

today you can end up paying as much as rs. 1000 and even more just to get a seat in the audi where they are performing.

it's not bad. but you really do not feel satisfied at the end of the show unless one of the comics really outdoes himself that day 🙂

Sadly, one of the rarest times, I felt like agreeing with KRK in the above video with him speaking the hypocrisy in the industry.

7MJ5sJN.png

I'd been to their royal turds show with a couple of friends a while back. Damn, the thing sucked for the most part. I mean a couple of things were funny but upping the offensive ante and over reliance on cuss words doesn't really add to the whole thing.

Sure enough, I was told comedy isn't for me [emoji14]

@chromaniac

Care to recommend some good stand up comics? 😀

So now a lot of guys in my office are carrying these clips of the roast in their phones. Some have enjoyed and others felt a bit disgusted probably because of celebs presence. All did agree very few jokes were funny.

So, couple of days ago, I watched AIB knockout with my dad (I know, Im a rebel)

Dad didn't like it, I liked it. Told dad the meaning of roast before the video started.

Just now, I informed my dad that video has been taken down and legal action was pursued. He said "good".

I asked him reason for his reaction even after he knows that roasting will be vulgar and viewer is already informed at start of the show and if he didnt like it, he should just not see the show.

His reason was that there were absolutely no jokes ( blame AIB for that) and vulgar words were just just for the sake of it and children will be spoilt unnecessarily aping their bollywood idols.

Again question to AIB - did everyone who was made fun of...especially who wasnt present there, agree to be made fun of...

Really, one can stand and abuse anyone vulgarly in the country in the name of comedy and the other is expected to gleefully accept it?

Taking offence and going against it doesn't help with anything either. Accept it that its a free country [atleast we can assume it is free] and anyone can say anything about anyone in any language.

I am pretty confident that the freedom of speech in India would have a clause which would block it.

There has to be some limitation & setting aside my personal views - most should atleast agree that it could have been limited on the audience who had willingly participated? No?

Even if you disagree with me, I see a dangerous precedent wherein one set of folks would go around cracking such jokes and other would use this to spread hatred & violence. Sure, many would say our country should be mature etc etc. But, clearly its not, and I would hate to see common people suffer because of either of such groups.