Never Take Tata Indicom!

• Thread starter Thread starter helpme1
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 28
  • Views Views 9,133
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a simple reply to that, 'Crazysah':

... whatever reason there may be for the connections being down ... even if fibre optic cables (FOCs) get cut or copper wires (CWs) get stolen, it shouldn't be made the Consumer's problem -- it is and always will be the ISPs (i.e. TATA Indicoms) problem!!!

It is simply as follows:
If you pay for a 'pair of shoes', you buy exactly two shoes!
But if you just get 'one shoe', what do you want to do... hop around on one leg?

It's like that with ISP services. Don't let then get away with it.
I have stopped accepting their 'one shoe solution', specially since I am paying for 'a pair'! So, stand up and shout out really loud.
;-)

Yes. I agree. It is Tata Inidcom's problem but it is your problem to call them up and get them to fix it which I do and they do fix it. Good work on their side.

@crazysah
ok in ur case.. i wud say not tatabb fault but what took them 2 weeks?!

i dont have tataBB anymore but their lan cable is still coming to my house. and i see so much of network flooding. this is because switch is faulty. its been so from 1 or 2 months. they havent cared to change switch.

i dont care though but i am sure ppl in my building are still facing the problem, which is there from 1 and half year now. every 6 months their switch goes bad and they replace it with some repaired switch which again wud last only few months.

oh and i know why its not changed from 2 months this time.. because i am not there to call them everyday for 2weeks. i tell them "not to give stupid excuses and change switch". other ppl in building dont know much abt networking so they just accept their excuse.

It did not take them 2 weeks. The cable kept getting cut every other day and it kept happening for 2 weeks. This is definately not Tata's problem but atleast they are fast to fix it.

Yes. I agree. It is Tata Inidcom's problem but it is your problem to call them up and get them to fix it which I do and they do fix it. Good work on their side.

It did not take them 2 weeks. The cable kept getting cut every other day and it kept happening for 2 weeks. This is definately not Tata's problem but atleast they are fast to fix it.

Dude, again ... check out what the others have to say. Your service seems to function like a dream. Let me give you hard facts as I have lived them:
- I have been a VSNL/ TATA-indicom customer since February 2006.
- I have lodged 85+ official complaints (with unique complaint numbers!).
- I have sent them 50+ eMails, reprimanding them.
- I have been forced to spend more than 2,100 minutes on the phone with them, making 465 phone calls in all.
=> Is that enough calls for you?????????
- I have billed them for Rs 1.5+ lacs in expenses/ cost to me (increasing by the day!).
- I have written to the VSNL CMD, Mr. Subodh Bhargava (10+ times).
=> Finally got a reply from the VP today ... surprise, surprise, surprise ...
- I have written to the TRAI Chairman, Mr. Nripendra Misra (once!).
=> No response to date ... no surprise, no surprise, no surprise ...
- I have filed an RTI application with the TRAI RTI Officer Mr. Jiwan Dass (once!).
=> In process ... no surprise, no surprise, no surprise ...
- CNN-IBN and a couple of newspapers are now involved ...

This is SERIOUS stuff. Do some more research ... pulllleeeease!!!
:wall:

CNN-IBN are now involved in what? Anyways... I don't know how but my connection is working almost as good as it can get. I am getting the full speeds and atleast 90% uptime. What more can I ask for from them? Crazysah

CNN IBN is scheduled to show a small video report recorded at his place. perhaps it would be showing the speeds he is getting at his place. and perhaps the kind of connectivity he has.

I don't agree that cut cables are the ISP's responsibility. What do customers want them to do? Install CCTVs in every floor of every building? Will these customers shell out more bucks for the connections then ? Ridiculous. There are some compromises to make in life, cannot be avoided.

I don't agree that cut cables are the ISP's responsibility. What do customers want them to do? Install CCTVs in every floor of every building? Will these customers shell out more bucks for the connections then ? Ridiculous. There are some compromises to make in life, cannot be avoided.

It is simple, Ms./ Mr. "Zoolander":
Our contractual partner/ provider is the ISP. In my case it is TATA-indicom (VSNL = TATA Communications). I pay them in full for the service that I am supposed to get... after all, it is they that offer 24/ 7/ 365 connectivity with their "Infinity" Plan. Hence it is their problem, not mine. If they want to charge more, then that is not the issue... I would pay [within reason].

Compare that with Europe:
We, in India, have upto 10 times higher prices...
AND
We, in India, have service that is well below par and speeds that are much much slower, example:
- In India 256 kbps = INR 1,120.00 (Gross) = EUR 17.40 (Gross)
- In Germany 6000 kbps = EUR 19.95 (Gross) = INR 1,149.00 (Gross)

Let's be clear on the following:
They (the ISPs) are selling the service that we buy, they (the ISPs) decide what plan to sell to us and under what conditions. We are only demanding our dues. That's all.

You and all the other consumers need to understand the principles on which the "service sector" has to work. If you don't understand it now, you will in 5 years [when we have fought the battles for you!].

Inference:
The cables, the speeds, the guys at the call centre, the after sales service, etc. ... are all their (the ISP's) issues. If we pay our bills on time, we can expect all of that.

Get it? :wall:

It is simple, Ms./ Mr. "Zoolander":
Our contractual partner/ provider is the ISP. In my case it is TATA-indicom (VSNL = TATA Communications). I pay them in full for the service that I am supposed to get... after all, it is they that offer 24/ 7/ 365 connectivity with their "Infinity" Plan. Hence it is their problem, not mine. If they want to charge more, then that is not the issue... I would pay [within reason].

Compare that with Europe:
We, in India, have upto 10 times higher prices...
AND
We, in India, have service that is well below par and speeds that are much much slower, example:
- In India 256 kbps = INR 1,120.00 (Gross) = EUR 17.40 (Gross)
- In Germany 6000 kbps = EUR 19.95 (Gross) = INR 1,149.00 (Gross)

Let's be clear on the following:
They (the ISPs) are selling the service that we buy, they (the ISPs) decide what plan to sell to us and under what conditions. We are only demanding our dues. That's all.

You and all the other consumers need to understand the principles on which the "service sector" has to work. If you don't understand it now, you will in 5 years [when we have fought the battles for you!].

Inference:
The cables, the speeds, the guys at the call centre, the after sales service, etc. ... are all their (the ISP's) issues. If we pay our bills on time, we can expect all of that.

Get it? :wall:

I understand what you're getting at, but I think you're including too many variables into the package you're getting. If theres a mischievous teenager in your building who cuts the cable atleast once every month, what is the ISP supposed to do about that? They can either go to extreme pains to ensure the wires are not cut (which involves huge costs that will have to be borne by the customer). If the customer refuses to bear those huge costs, the ISP will simply refuse to serve you any further, as any sane business will do.

This wire cutting business has affected me almost 5 times over the past year. Even though I have lost plenty of days of connectivity to this menace, I can see why the ISP cannot be faulted in this particular situation.

@ZoolanderISPs can at least file an FIR against the 'mischievous teenager' in the local police station charging him with destruction of property. If nothing else, he might get some sense knocked into him. The ISPs seem to be carefree when it comes to that but trouble their customers to no end.One and a half months of below-par service and I rushed back to my trusted dialup. Atleast I can send and receive emails without having to call up the CC once every six hours.You have the right to be satisfied with only x days of connectivity every month even after paying for the entire month. But not everybody can afford to be like that and nor can they afford to go for a leased line providing assured connectivity. If the ISP can't provide good service, it should get out. In the end, it is about service and one's perception of the same. To each his own.

lack of competition means incompetent ISPs can survive for a long time in this market of ours. no one is interested in acquiring smaller players.

@Zoolander
ISPs can at least file an FIR against the 'mischievous teenager' in the local police station charging him with destruction of property. If nothing else, he might get some sense knocked into him. The ISPs seem to be carefree when it comes to that but trouble their customers to no end.

The problem here is that I use the term 'mischievous teenager' only because of whom I suspect. I have no proof of the identity of the culprit, nor am I even reasonably sure of my suspicion. If even I cannot be sure of who does it again and again, how can the ISPs do anything? I don't live in a posh building with CCTVs or multiple security guards keeping a tab on all visitors. Cops in India have no inclination to catch murderers and rapists, and it is futile to expect them to chase cable saboteours. It is not fair to blame the ISPs for things beyond their control.

Hi guys,I was using TATA Indicom from last 8 months, but i'm not satisfied with this broadband. I think, I should change this broadband, what do you say guys ???

Yeh its upto your choice you can change anytime since you are the one paying for it 🙂 .In my case i haven't had a better experience with other isp's than TATA Indicom . Their package is one of the cheapest . Those who are actually able to connect properly to their network would agree that their network is damn fast and most of sites are on minimum ping times ( latency ) compared to other isp's in India . However someone cutting cables is not a good excuse for any ISP , ISP's outsource the network management to local cable guys and pay them part of profit . Even though they cant prevent wire cutting they should atleast make sure that problem is solved within a specific time frame . In my area i get a downtime of at least one day every month and thats fine with me ( i have sify for backup ) , this ofcourse is for scenario where somebody cut wire but i dont expect them to take day(s) to fix just that . I directly call local cable guy and ask him to fix which he does on time , there's no point in calling to CC if problem is in local wiring .

TATA Indicom should be the last resort if you do not have any other decent ISP (MTNL/Airtel/BSNL ans such) in your area.I have TATA Indicom. Its speed is quite good, downloaded a 45 MB file in a few minutes yesterday. Problem is you can not be sure that net will work when you need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.