• Thread starter Thread starter Lokesh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 1,637

Lokesh

Regulars
ISP
Trib 649_Combo
has anyone tried the SOLARIS 10 operating system by the Sun microsystem guys(JAVA wale!)if yes, how is it? i mean a brief review wouldn't hurt 🙂 on net (and techwhack) sounds good!

umm. prathapml should have a better idea. u can also try out pure debian. i heard that it was pretty cool.

Its both very good and very bad. Good for stability, best debugging tools in *nix world... bad for end user experience if you are expeting it to compare it with Linux.

so, as a user, should i try it? will it be time-consuming(the whole process of installing and getting to use it!)? i am asking abt this OS as i have the DVD of it! 😀also, one DVD is for SPARC system and other for x64/x86 system! which one do i use?

You need to use x86 DVD. Install VMware or Virtual PC to test it out. That ways you wont have to deal with HDD formatting etc and installation of Solaris can work in parallel with games / browsing. It is useful only if you plan to get into software development / IT Infrastructure. Solaris is a much better platform to learn advanced C/C++ as compared to linux. Mainly because GCC that is available by default in Linux is very bad in generating debug info.

what is SPARC? sun microsystem's own microprocessor?