Who is connected to my modem - Utsra 300 R2

TheTechieant

Couple of days back I was testing the configuration pages of my Utstar 300R2 modem provided by BSNL in and out.

The objective was to make it connect to Internet on switching on the modem.

While the built-in PPPOE dialer didn't work, I noticed something weired in the modem's DHCP Clients page.

I had about 5 to 10 computers listed , each with a different MAC address, hostname , as DHCP clients for my modem.

Puzzled, I gave it a little thought, then decided all these people are somehow being served by the "DHCP server" in My modem. I immediately disabled the DHCP server on the modem, and gave it a static IP address. As that worked while booting WindowZ , I couldn't get it to work, when I logged in using Linux.

I enabled the DHCP server again , but, this time, configured it to be on a different IP mask, rather than the default 192.168.1.1.
Right after doing this , I tried logging into 192.168.1.1 ( by mistake, instead of the new IP address).

Now it turned interesting. I was connected to a modem, that was NOT mine. And, this modem was running for the last 10 hrs , as per the status page.

Any idea what was happening? 🙂

Sounds interesting....Do not access the other PCs, or you might be caught for hacking.... :lol:Let me think what can be the cause...It'll take time.

I don't know if the following makes sense. But, some thoughts.......1. I used to get IP conflict on my system, when I used a static IP address , like 192.168.1.32. Once I changed the IP pattern from 192.168.1. x to 192.168.30.x , no more IP conflicts3. More of my friends using BSNL had the same issue when they had a static IP, same modem.4. I was able to ping 192.168.1.9 , which was one of "my DHCP clients"5. By default every utstar 300r2 router/modem has 192.168.1.1 as IP address and 255.255.255.0 as net mask.I guess when I switch on my mod\em, probably, i'm exposed to a network, on which all the router / modems share IP addresses ( not the internet IP address ) My PCs 192.168.1.3 IP address conflicts with another PCs, 192.168.1.3. Don't have much data to prove this theory though. :lol:

I think that BSNL dosen't provide static IP addresses, they are dynamic.Try setting the IP of the modem as 192.168.1.1 and subnet 255.255.255.0Set the modem as DHCP server and the PCs as DHCP clients.Restart and reboot the router and PC.Then check whether the IP conflict problem is repeated or vanishes.Post ur observation... :lol: