911 like service/no roaming/BB as a Fundamental right and more....

• Thread starter Thread starter devx101
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 23
  • Views Views 2,842
it should be a chargeable service, only that will help from preventing abuse. but yes than the problems of users with no bal/no home network will also arise.....may be fines/penalties and jailing of pranksters can act as a deterrent.

Hell NO! God forbid someone needs to call urgently and NO BALANCE!!!

it should be a chargeable service, only that will help from preventing abuse. but yes than the problems of users with no bal/no home network will also arise.....may be fines/penalties and jailing of pranksters can act as a deterrent.

That would disastrous to say the least, and would defeat the entire purpose of having a unified emergency number

emergency numbers have to be toll free. they are also supposed to work with any telephony device. even on mobile devices with no balance/capability to make calls i believe. i am probably wrong but i think there are provisions somewhere that mobile phones without SIM should be able to make emergency calls 😕

emergency numbers have to be toll free. they are also supposed to work with any telephony device. even on mobile devices with no balance/capability to make calls i believe. i am probably wrong but i think there are provisions somewhere that mobile phones without SIM should be able to make emergency calls 😕

yep... you can even dail them with your phone (keypad) locked !

nope it works, u did not unlock just dial 911/112 the call button will come... as seen on nok 5800

dude. i cannot dial any number till i turn on the calling feature on the phone!

----------

i wanted to try if i can dial 100 on airplane mode. i don't want to coz if the call is made, it would be a bad thing to do.

Just went across this article in BS..

DoT proposes one nation, one market policy
key points
One tariff for each licence holder across the country
All-India mobile number portability
Doing away with roaming charges :Boy Think:

"To support the plan, the committees have mooted a nationwide call centre and a number for emergency services, akin to the 911 service that can be dialled from anywhere in the US. It has also suggested that access to broadband should be made a fundamental right.:hypnotized:"

​So ready for US like environment........he he....911 hello hello:tongue2:

Like India, the US has geographic calling for mobiles as well as landlines. Until I moved to India, the only time I've ever had to deal with roaming involved going abroad, not to another city or state, so I for one would welcome an all-India tariff, even if it does mean a small hike in tariffs back up to the ~1 rupee per minute level - after all, I can sympathize with the providers that the infrastructure involved isn't going to "pay for itself", and they don't have the luxury of having a certain percentage of customers on postpaid plans paying monthly fees like you would find in most other countries (or paying the hideous prices found in some of those countries).

I would also welcome complete number portability, not just MNP... being able to retain your landline number while switching from say, Airtel to Reliance would be great - and the introduction of legal SIP services with termination in India would be a godsend!

As for the emergency systems, these are quite intelligent, and I would hope the same to be true in India (it's not impossible). The call simply needs to be redirected to the nearest call centre based on the physical location, so it would be a given that if you're calling from Mumbai you won't get a call centre in Delhi and so on... but one has to wonder how effective such a service would be: after all, the emergency services would then actually have to respond to the situation, and I've witnessed on hundreds of occasions where those little ambulance things and fire trucks get hampered by traffic and stuff because nobody moves out of the way (even if they could). Probably the only ones that could potentially respond relatively quickly are the police because they're all over the place (in Mumbai, at least) and most of them don't have vehicles.

I'm also not sure whether India is "ready" to make access to Broadband a "fundamental right". Even though it is a good idea in principle and I would support such a thing, I'm just not sure it is possible yet. It was possible in Finland because they had coverage to every single citizen already, but this is not the case in India.

crime per thousand might be lower in india but total number of crimes in india must be high and even USA will have problem with their 911 if they had our population .also the problem that the guy attending our 100 call recieves a lot lesser as compared to people who pick 911 calls . you can't expect the same quality by paying lesser .

You can buy a lot more for US$1 in India than you can in the US, so you don't need to pay telephone operators 12+ lakhs a year. Of course, with the way the USD is going, I don't think it will be this way for too much longer!

It could be like it is here - if you falsely call the emergency services you can receive a fine, but the call itself needs to be free. December 25th is the busiest day of the year for false calls in the US, mostly because people are testing phones they got for Christmas which aren't activated yet.

I know that's the case in most western countries, don't know about India... I think it's part of the reason you also can only have 8 speed-dials: 1 & 0 are usually reserved.