Does Video Looks Better On Tv Than Pc

boygr8

Regulars
[OP]
Regulars
Apr 3, 2005
Now when we play a video downloaded off the net say in wmv or real  format or even a VCD, its usually in something 340x300 resolution or something. When we view it full screen, there is obvious pixelization.The VCD when played on a DVD player on TV looks much better/Now if I take a video out from my PC and connect it to TV, will the display be same as PC or better(coz TVs have low resolution....somthing of the order of 480x400). I am asking this bcoz I am comtemplating of buying a graphics card with TV out capability for the same reason. I hope I have been able to make my query clear enough.

coolbuddy_79

The Coolest One!!!
Regulars
Jan 30, 2005
man, that'd be around 8K of investment...i'd suggest u to go for an LCD screen (if u already don't have, which i think) with a cpl of extra K's...like i think u'll get a 19" LCD in under 10K...just find it out mate...if movie watching is ur main idea, then graphics card is not the best deal...

boygr8

Regulars
[OP]
Regulars
Apr 3, 2005
Nope dude I already have a 17" LCD monitor I bought for around 10,500 a few months agoAll I want to know is that if I connect my Video out of graphics card, will the quality of streaming video be better or worse than what I get on my monitor.

coolbuddy_79

The Coolest One!!!
Regulars
Jan 30, 2005
no idea about that...coz even i was trying to do that and i found out that it's a huge investment...so i opted for a 19" widescreen lcd monitor and am pretty happy with that... :Dbut now i think a bit of more invetment would've got me a 21" LCD TV...it'd have been a much better deal as then i cud've watched both TV and PC on it :unsure:

Superman

Regulars
Jan 8, 2007
QUOTE(coolbuddy_79 @ Mar 21 2007, 01:22 AM) [snapback]84036[/snapback]
i opted for a 19" widescreen lcd monitor and am pretty happy with that... :D

but now i think a bit of more invetment would've got me a 21" LCD TV...it'd have been a much better deal as then i cud've watched both TV and PC on it :unsure:[/b]

OMG !! ...a 19" monitor..that would be really awesome for gaming ....!!!!!!!.....

Apoorv Khatreja

Super Loser
Regulars
Nov 7, 2006
Delhi
Ya dude, I experience this problems with VCDs and video that I record from my internal TV Tuner. In VCDs and these videos, I feel that the quality is low, and I see a pixelated video on my computer. But if I write the same to a CD, and play it in my DVD Player, The video quality is much much better. Maybe my graphic card is too poor :( .

leomax

FraudBand
Regulars
Oct 26, 2005
Tv's have low resolution (compared to pc's),so low res VCD's (of CIF resolution) are always gonna look better in Tv than in your 1280*1024/1440*900 Lcd..

boygr8

Regulars
[OP]
Regulars
Apr 3, 2005
Yep, but my point is if I take a video out from my Graphics card of a video which is of resolution of about 400x300 and play it on my TV, will it be better?

coolbuddy_79

The Coolest One!!!
Regulars
Jan 30, 2005
QUOTE(Superman @ Mar 21 2007, 12:23 PM) [snapback]84093[/snapback]
OMG !! ...a 19" monitor..that would be really awesome for gaming ....!!!!!!!.....[/b]

play games on my PS2 and 29" flat TV :D

also, 19" widescreen is not that huge...it's just a bit wider...which is good for movie viewing :D

blr_p

Regulars
Regulars
May 26, 2005
QUOTE(boygr8 @ Mar 19 2007, 08:05 PM) [snapback]83873[/snapback]
Now if I take a video out from my PC and connect it to TV, will the display be same as PC or better(coz TVs have low resolution....somthing of the order of 480x400). I am asking this bcoz I am comtemplating of buying a graphics card with TV out capability for the same reason. I hope I have been able to make my query clear enough.[/b]
I do this, but i have to reduce the laptop screen rez to 800x600, otherwise TV won't display the whole picture. DVD is 750(?)x480 so i'd say DVD rez is the max your tv can handle, ie more than 400x400.

Now its a question of which is the better playback device, the standalone DVD player or the laptop...hmm

Looks better with the DVD player because it might be applying some filters to make the pic look better. What if you tried to replicate this with VLC player etc. In theory you would have more flexibility selecting filters from VLC player on the PC than what's provided by the standalone DVD player. Of course you better have a powerful PC to do this, since the dvd player does it all in hardware.

I'd think you would be better off with a graphics card, only if you can find the right filters and actually see a difference.