Vodafone India charging extra for 'downloads'

If it happens 1 time, we can consider it mistake, if it happens 2nd time, we can say bad luck, but if it keeps happening 3-4-5 times on same number, how can we say its system error? It might be some scam from operator's side to get money from customers on basis of useless VAS which customer is not interested or will never use.
I don't think population is issue, because a robust backend can very well handle huge number of traffic, and I can say this because I have seen mechanism of backend for US operators who handles millions of data generated in minutes without any errors.

This is nothing but pure greed by the unscrupulous telecom service providers. Vodafone is not doing social service in India, they are here to make money. They have no love for India or its masses. I don't think these wrong billing charges are due to billing servers errors, it is by design. You can note the systemic indifference exhibited by the customer care and the nodal officers to the customers complaints.

This is their way of exploiting the consumers. My guess is that for every reported case, at least 10 cases go unreported (either due to low level of awareness or indifference to go against a large company).

You pay 300 on an average on your postpaid bills in india and US customer pay on an average 30-40 dollars a month. Quality of service would be diff!
Company like Airtel and Vodafone cannot do illegitimate Deduction from balance and neither they have any deliberate systems to do so!
As i said its all sporadic errors due to enormous transaction. These errors sometimes go unnoticed during their day to day operations and it is customer who has to bring to their notice.
Notorious Telco would never refund your money if it was scam based deductions. But they generally do if they see false deduction else they put it for probe. These Telco have lot of reputation at stake and cannot let go by doing these notorious activity

I am no way connected to any telecom company!

A US based unskilled worker would make around 6-7 dollars per hour working as a waiter. How much does waiters in India make per hour?

I also do not think US based mobile users get excellent support from their mobile operators. I am not sure what your logic is behind the whole concept but you cannot compare Indian companies with US based ones. What we pay for mobile services is probably much higher compared to what Americans pay based on our average income.

You pay 300 on an average on your postpaid bills in india and US customer pay on an average 30-40 dollars a month. Quality of service would be diff!
Company like Airtel and Vodafone cannot do illegitimate Deduction from balance and neither they have any deliberate systems to do so!
As i said its all sporadic errors due to enormous transaction. These errors sometimes go unnoticed during their day to day operations and it is customer who has to bring to their notice.
Notorious Telco would never refund your money if it was scam based deductions. But they generally do if they see false deduction else they put it for probe. These Telco have lot of reputation at stake and cannot let go by doing these notorious activity

There are so many forums (including IBF) filled with customer's complaints about amount deduction from prepaid account, or wrong billed amount for postpaid connection. If there can be so much errors happening, then its better that operator change their whole backend system 🙂

Well, i said the same. Why are we comparing US vs India operators? others have been giving Us vs India telco comparison.

I differ from your last statement on payout to indian vs US operators. Rentals and calls charges are lowest in the world in india. US and other countries only give free texts and zero calls free on monthly packs. They only make Add on packs attractive and not the base tariffs. Our country has the lowest base tariffs in the world. Indian People in towns and villages only depend on Incoming calls and dare if they dial any outgoing calls. hahahah irony is Incoming too is free here.

Even 3G on mobile is expensive there, 1GB for 10 USD. In New Zealand, 1GB is 20 NZD on any telco.

you do realize that per capita income of usa is like 10 times that of india? which means that to be charged fairly, we should be paying 10% for the same things that americans pay for? so if usa pay 10 dollars for 1GB of 3G, the price should be 1 dollar for 1GB. but in reality it is more like 5 dollars.

and you do not get it. internet is full of complaints from people who are unfairly charged. by all operators. it is a business model. not an honest mistake that happens to every second customer on a monthly basis. if you cannot see any reality in this, i am guessing you think too highly of these companies.

So if Indians are paying lowest tarrifs in world for mobile services, its ok to occasionally get money from them under some useless services?

Do you have proofs that they have spam based systems to deduct illegitimate money from customer account balance?
I had false deductions too but money was remitted immediately on Airtel. the only difference between Airtel/vodafone and Likes of Tata docomo and Aircel is while the former takes judicious pain to return it back and later does take time or irritates the customer to refund. Refunds get stuck at CC level where they refuse to accept the mistake, calls are recorded as well but no body follows up.

so which of these operators run a weekly scan on their accounts to detect these accidental charges on their customer's account and refund them automatically? in which other market it is totally acceptable for service provider to routinely accidentally charge a customer's account? man this is idiocy. i am out.

it is not wise to compare currencies & things like that.Employes in US are paid much better than those in India.most of CC guys in india dont earn more than a couple of thousands.So if Operators charge less in India then their expenses are also a lot less compared to US.

If there are 100 such cases then i am pretty sure at least 95 of those are intentional i.e. scam.
System errors cant keep happening like that.if there are any bugs then they get detected and fixed.I develop backend application so i have some idea how things work.

@chetan31 has decided to disagree on all points mentioned 🙂
There are several crimes or scams happening in our country where there is no proofs. Similarly this money deduction in mobile accounts has no proofs, it is only seen via experience mentioned by several people online and also by individuals posting here (including me).

This may not be scam as per definition, but it somewhere creates doubt in public's mind when their money is getting lost.