Thinking of getting MTS MBlaze Ultra wifi: which wifi dongle to get?

• Thread starter Thread starter montylee
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 27
  • Views Views 15,011
ISP
None
I was using Airtel broadband since last 7 years. Got really sick of their pricing policy and costly plans. I was paying around ₹1700 every month for a paltry 15GB@2Mbps. I applied for MTNL, but after paying the registration fees, I was told that they can't offer a connection at my place, so i am thinking of buying Tata Photon Max Wifi or MTS MBlaze Ultra wifi. I got hold of a friend's Photon+ and old MTS non-wifi dongle (Huawei EC315). Here are some speed test results at my place:

Tata Photon+: Around 2 to 2.5 Mbps. Although the connection was not reliable, i had to reconnect the dongle several times to get connection. My friend said it's a problem with his old dongle, so the connection problem could be because of this reason.

MTS dongle-old model (ZTE AC2746): Got speeds between 1 to 1.5 Mbps

I also got hold of MTS Wifi model (Huawei EC315), will test it today at my place but in my office it's giving speeds between 3 to 3.5 Mbps.

Now, i need a WIFI dongle. MTS refused to give a demo at my place so i got hold of some test devices from my friends 🙂 Will go for MTS, if i get good speed with the Huawei EC315 at my place. Now, the question is: which device to go for, i have these choices:

1) Huawei EC315
2) ZTE AC3633
3) Lava DF800
4) Any other choice?

I found that MTS gives one of these 3 devices. Which one should i opt for (I will plug it in a usb wall charger and use on Laptop, PS3 and mobile)? Can I ask for a specific device from MTS? I also see 2 links on the MTS website:

Buy Mblaze Ultra Wi-Fi online - MTS India
Buy Mblaze Ultra Wi-Fi DF800 online - MTS India

The 2nd one is Lava DF800 but i am not sure about the 1st one, it looks like ZTE AC3633 though.

Also, which ones of the above devices can be unlocked?
I will use the device with an external power so i guess it shouldn't be an issue to connect it from Windows and Linux right?

Last edited:
That broadband plan looks like too old one. You can threaten them for disconnection and get reasonable retention plan imho. Since you are a 7 year old customer, I think they will offer better plan.

Wireline broadband is any day better than wireless imho. But if you want to use in both office and home, then you are correct.

Huawei EC315 can be unlocked. Using an unlocked EC306 (similar to ec315 but without WiFi) with TATA CDMA currently. Getting around 4-5mbps around the city on the revB network.

Its pretty cheap too. 55 bucks for a GB.

so you suggest the Huawei EC315 right? Does MTS still offer this device?

I was so fed up with Airtel, i told them to f*** off when they offered me cheaper plans, i just wanted to get rid of them.

No idea on what device MTS offers, sorry.

I'd bought mine unlocked from eBay. But, I guess you can't activate MBlaze plans on unlocked devices using a SIM card.

Yes, i know that after unlocking i will need to get hold of a CDMA sim. I just asked about unlocking for info 🙂
I tested the Huawei EC315 wifi model at my place yesterday. Got speeds around 2.5 Mbps for some time and after that the internet stopped working completely, it didn't work after several retries, so i guess it might be a problem with MTS network at that time. Tried again in the morning today and got speeds of around 5 Mbps. I guess the speed depends on time and network traffic.
Will test it again tonight to see if it stops working again in the night, if yes, then i might have to ditch this and go with Photon Max Wifi.

BTW, coming back to my question, how are the ZTE and Lava devices? Are they reliable and have any advantages over the Huawei? Only benefit i know is that Lava can support upto 6 devices compared to 5 for Huawei.

No idea. Haven't had an trouble with Huawei so far, across GSM and CDMA.

Zte is kinda annoying because they didn't/don't have a universal software for their dongles. I guess with a WiFi dongle, that point is moot.

So, after trying out MTS Wifi dongle for a few days i have decided to go with Photon Wifi despite the fact that i can't try it at my place. I have 1-2 towers near my place so i hope the speed would be fine. I tried Photon+ once and got speeds around 2.5 Mbps. With MTS, the internet was working fine and speeds were good during the day but after 7-8 PM, it stopped working altogether.

Which dongle does Tata Photon Wifi give? Huawei EC315 only?

I've just cancelled my Reliance Netconnect+ connection within 4 days of subscribing. I need 1.5mbps upload speed, can anyone here suggest:

1. Does Photon and the Blaze give 1.5mpbs upload speed (not advertised, in reality)?

2. Do I've have buy the dongle from them, or can I get a unlocked dongle ?

3. Are both MTS & Photon on CDMA network ?

1. I don't have access to my Max dongle currently. It gives around 2mbps upload with 80% signal strength. Will post a speedtest in a couple of days. Regular photon gives around 1mbit up. Here is a speed test I just did on revA (regular photon) network:
1049874599.png

*Idk why it shows aircel as the ISP..

2. Unless theyre running some promotion Tata is cheaper if you go for an unlocked dongle with tata CDMA Sim.

3. Yes.

Photon is costly in my circle, kolkata/WB.

The only viable and cheaper option for me is MTS MBlaze 40GB (20day+20night) @ Rs 1000.

Buy MTS MBlaze Ultra online - MTS India

But will wait for feedback from users regarding the upload speed, do not want to land up buying and then cancelling again in 4 days.

Also wanted to know, what make & model is that dongle. Wanted to make sure if it is compatible with my pfsense/ALIX firewall. (Supported dongles for me are listed here Known Working 3G-4G Modems - PFSenseDocs )