Bandwidth Congestion

• Thread starter Thread starter gowithit
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 2,747

gowithit

I've been having trouble with bandwidth congestion on my network and am considering some bandwidth shaping appliances. Anyone had any experience with products like Netequalizer or any of the others? Thanks.

offtopic...man r u really on 54 mbps??? 😱and r u in India???

Yes, University of Colorado. Why aren't I fit to be here? If you Google "broadband forum", this site is one of the first that comes up. I figured the question was as relevant here as in a US forum and good/active US forums are hard to find.

🙂 he just asked a question and i replied. we have no issues with you posting a question here. we have some smart people around here. but this is night time around here in india so a solution might be delayed!

Ban this guy. He is not fit to be here.[/b]

umm polite dude. he is not spamming any weird sites here!

dips is just jealous of his speed...doesn't mean to actually ban him 😛back to topic...gowithit, can u give us some more details, like your network structure, no. of pcs, and all that stuff???it'll be easier to reply that way...

We're a WISP with six towers and several hundred customers (about 800). So, I guess that would mean there are probably at least 800 computers. I'm looking for something affordable enough that I could put multiple appliances througout the network. That's the main reason I was leaning toward netequalizer. I couldn't afford to buy more than one packeteer.

Dude that was just a sarcastic remark..didnt actually mean to ask for your ban..By the way I know just the person who can help you out..Meet our IT Minister Mr. Maran

In past, I have used linux IPTables to achieve this. I have to combine 5 leased lines on 64kbps each and distribute this bandwidth to an office of 50 PCs.

I setup a linux boxe and created scripts for creating one virtual ETH per user. Bandwitdth was limited for each ETH.

Nowadays you can try OpenWRT to achieve the same with Linksys routers and you will not need a PC everywhere. Linksys router can be bought in cheap if purchased in bulk.

This solutions in ameturish and I am not sure it it will scale to 800 users. But it might, in this setup:

Code:
.                                                                    -- Router 1 => 10 - 20 Users                                                                   |  Router 2 => 10 - 20 UsersInternet Pipe(s) => Powerful Linux Server =>                      |  Router 3 => 10 - 20 Users                                                                   |  Router 4 => 10 - 20 Users                                                                   |  Router 5 => 10 - 20 Users                                                                   ....                                                                   ....                                                                   ....                                                                   ....                                                                   ....                                                                   -- Router n => 10 - 20 Users

Don't worry about it dips. I couldn't figure out if you were joking or if I'd overlooked some "India only" policy in the forum rules. Anyway, thanks for the advice everyone. I'll see how these options work. I'm also looking into the netequalizer 30 day trial deal, but a cheaper solution would always be better (well, if it works).