BSNL DataOne MultiUser Hardware Setup Diagram

• Thread starter Thread starter agnivo007
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 49
  • Views Views 30,127
A

agnivo007

So my newbie friends,Here it is : BSNL DataOne MultiUser Hardware Setup Diagram.It will help newbies to get started with their DataOne Connections without paying Installation Charge of Rs. 500 !Comments are welcome.Cheers,AR. 😉 View attachment 140

Nice representation dude..Shd help many people here..I am sure it must have taken some effort to draw this..Keep up the good work..Cheers!

Thanks Agnivo for the nice diagram provided by you for the multiusers. No doubut it will helpful very much for the laymen like me. Some questions:1. What is 8 port N way switch? Where from to procure? How much it will cost?2. What is the maximum distance for the computers? (I mean to say what will be permitted distance that one can have in his house or office)3. How about the spped? Will the speed be 50% in case both the computers are used.sanjitcx

gr8 diagram. Now, do each of the PCs in the multiuser setup get their own BSNL assigned IP as one poster here claimed? Or do they get IPs like 192.168.x.x with NAT and all that?

two queries :huh: based on ur excellent diagram:1. I think two hardware stuff in your diagrama. splitterb. RJ - 11 socketis not our area of concern as this will be done by bsnl company...am i right or wrong???????????2. Also in the diagram u stated that its"CAT5e Patch/ Cross cable"is there really a difference between the two?????????????????regards,p.s. pardon me for always having too many queries. 🙁 "The PCs get pvt. IPs like 192.168.1.x as NAT "so in case two computers r connected we get two private ips but which ip is visible to bsnl people (in case we r sharing the dataone in single user connection)?????and how r private ips different from any other ip in terms of any special benefit???"and DHCP comes into play."seems as we learn "a" and think we know everything there is "b" to be learnt then again by time we finish learning "b" ; we r surprised to see that we still need to learn "c".....now DHCp my GOD?? (life is never easy just for taking one broadband connection and sharing two pcs...wonder if forum like this and people like agnivo would not have been here what i would be doing????)

Mohit,Again, my answers for ur queries...1. Splitter comes with the ADSL Router/Modem and RJ-11 Socket is the normal telephone socket in ur home installed by tel. company.2. Patch cables are used to connect PC-Switch, while Cross cables are used to connect Switch-Switch, Router/Modem-Switch etc, depending upon the type of LAN port u r connecting to. Plz don't bother about it as the switch u will be using (compex) has automatic speed and cable type detection to make ur life easy, and configures itself automatically.3. Try to understand this :1.BSNL Dynamic IP =====> 2.NAT =====> 3.Private IP(By DHCP)1.eg: 59.93.161.252 2.Network Address Translator 3.eg: 192.168.1.x1.(Visible from out) 2.(Inside Router) 3.(Not visible from out)Private IPs are the IP addresses of PCs/LAN equipment inside your LAN and hence not visible to hackers/prying eyes. Thus when you are connected to net, ur PCs are not visible to a hacker. Only the IP of router is visible. Hence NAT inside Router/Modem provides u security.DHCP : Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol. It is used to automatically assign IP addresses to PCs/LAN equipments configured as DHCP clients and also configures the gateway/etc. information required to access the net.Plz don't mind : Setting up a broadband connection is easy. But, I think your over-inquisitive nature makes it difficult for u to know and understand every linked aspect in little time! 🙄 Good Luck,AR.

ok As Hulo pointed out that poster happens to be me ..I have 2pcs at home and one mac and one wifi access pointI got a 2mbit plan and BSNL people gave me 880 modemI connected the modem to the splitter etc etc and then using a normal ethernet cable ( not a crossover cable as mentioned here ) I connected it to a switch ( 6 Port Hub). After that I did the settings in the modem and set it as pure bridge.and then from the 2 pcs .. I setup a PPaoe Dialer .. and connected my both PCs with independent ips no problem.. them from my mac running tiger I did the same and finally from the airport express also too.Finally I had 4 ips from bsnl.. alll at the same timeEverything was running smoothly without any breaksbut one fineday I saw only one of my pc is connected to net and rest all are not workingI tried everything after that but all in vainnow I have connected the modem to airport express and set the airport as dns provide .. which is serving private ips to 3 computers..I know there is not much of a difference between the private ip and public ip for daily usebut think of a scenario where you need a port on all three pcs..suppose I use ftp on all 3 and for to connect to a remote server I need ident server which runs on port 113from the airport ... portforwarding utility I can only forward port 113 to one private ip only not all..so this is why I was looking for 3 public ips..Also BSNL says the business class is mulituser enabled whereas the home plans are notwhat does they mean by itas is shown in this .. anyone can connect as many computers as they want on home planI thought only difference was that multiuser plan will have multi public ipsbut thats not working for me anymore..anyone here has any clue.. ? herebut please dont tell me again that I am confusedif i am doing something wrong let me knowthat will be of better helpThanks

Sorry, I have still not tasted business plans, but can guess that they have changed some configuration which did not allow any more to use bridgemode to obtain different public IPs. The majority members here have home plans, not business. Hence, I think bugging around with high-end broadband stuff will be of little use to them...atleast to me.I hope u get my point...

Originally posted by b0bee@May 21 2005, 01:05 AM
I thought only difference was that multiuser plan will have multi public ips

but thats not working for me anymore..
anyone here has any clue.. ? here

but please dont tell me again that I am confused
if i am doing something wrong let me know
that will be of better help
Thanks
[snapback]9728[/snapback]
[/quote]

What I could gather so far is that Multiuser ADSL conections have better contention ratio. Contention means that the connection from your local exchange to the ISP is shared by other users. It is quoted as a ratio e.g 50:1 - meaning a maximum of 50 people will be sharing your allocated bandwidth (e.g. 512kbps). In actuallity the number of people sharing bandwidth is more complex it tends to be more like 3400 512kbps users sharing a 34Mbps connection, which means that a few users running at full speed have less of an affect on other users. In case of Multiuser connection, contention ratio is like 20:1. It is not necessary that such connections have multiple IPs. It depends on the agreement with the provider and they may charge more for giving multiple IPs. In case there is multiple IP (also called Multi-NAT) this is what I found -

"In the most common situation, NAT is used to translate from a single public IP address to multiple internal private IP addresses; we call that one-to-many NAT (one public IP address to many private ones). You may instead have multiple public IP addresses and want each of those to map directly to multiple internal private IP addresses; this is known as many-to-many NAT. In this way, internal PCs are addressable directly from outside, but on a public IP address rather than their actual internal IP address. Multi-NAT allows this - your ADSL router will allow you to build a table of which public IP address maps to which internal IP client address. DSL services for business users are largely sold as multi-user packages - i.e., designed to meet the broadband needs of 2-25 users on a local area network. (Most residential DSL services are designated for single-user use, although in theory, with some competent technical tweaking, more than one PC can also access them). 'Multi-user' can - and often is - confused with the number of IP addresses supplied as part of a service provider's package, and relates to issues included (or excluded) in individual Providers' terms and conditions."

Hmm...Quite resourceful discussion going on...But Santanu, may I know the sources ?:lol:

Its from various sources - mostly from the FAQs of ADSL providers abroad, particularly those who give the "Multi-NAT" options. I did a google search with keywords like "Multi-user and Single-user DSL" etc. The links would come up mostly at the top.

Well if we apply the contention rule then i should atleast at sometime or most of the time get the bandwidth which i am paying them for>>I get only upto 200 KBps.. and never crosses more then 210 KBps..whereas according to my plan I should get 256 KBps..and as I have seen from this forum postspeople with 512 and 256 KBps plans are getting a lot better bandwith, most of them more then what they have asked for...I tried searching on the net elsewherewhat I have gathered is most of 2Mbit plan holders are having the same problembut as they all are getting near 200 KBps they think they are getting 2 Mbit..which is not the case...And I agree with Hulo it is not necessary that multiuser plan have multi public ips.. but since I was getting it at one point of time ..so I was wondering If now I am doing something wrong ..or if BSNL has changed somethingOther things which are mentioned elsewhere in the forum..According to me the best MTU for BSNL is 1480..I ran a test through netspeed software pinging BSNL different servers as well as some known ISP'S on the net through which our data is routed on net ... (International Gateways) and it allways come as 1480 .. I think you all try once 1480 as MTU and see if it is better then 1430 or not ..for me it is..