BSNL DataOne MultiUser Hardware Setup Diagram

A

agnivo007

[OP]
So my newbie friends,Here it is : BSNL DataOne MultiUser Hardware Setup Diagram.It will help newbies to get started with their DataOne Connections without paying Installation Charge of Rs. 500 !Comments are welcome.Cheers,AR. ;) View attachment 140

imjimmy

May 17, 2005
Nice representation dude..Shd help many people here..I am sure it must have taken some effort to draw this..Keep up the good work..Cheers!

sanjitcx

Apr 14, 2005
Thanks Agnivo for the nice diagram provided by you for the multiusers. No doubut it will helpful very much for the laymen like me. Some questions:1. What is 8 port N way switch? Where from to procure? How much it will cost?2. What is the maximum distance for the computers? (I mean to say what will be permitted distance that one can have in his house or office)3. How about the spped? Will the speed be 50% in case both the computers are used.sanjitcx

Hulo

Regular
Regulars
Mar 25, 2005
gr8 diagram. Now, do each of the PCs in the multiuser setup get their own BSNL assigned IP as one poster here claimed? Or do they get IPs like 192.168.x.x with NAT and all that?

sunandoghosh

Regulars
Apr 23, 2005
two queries :huh: based on ur excellent diagram:1. I think two hardware stuff in your diagrama. splitterb. RJ - 11 socketis not our area of concern as this will be done by bsnl company...am i right or wrong???????????2. Also in the diagram u stated that its"CAT5e Patch/ Cross cable"is there really a difference between the two?????????????????regards,p.s. pardon me for always having too many queries. :( "The PCs get pvt. IPs like 192.168.1.x as NAT "so in case two computers r connected we get two private ips but which ip is visible to bsnl people (in case we r sharing the dataone in single user connection)?????and how r private ips different from any other ip in terms of any special benefit???"and DHCP comes into play."seems as we learn "a" and think we know everything there is "b" to be learnt then again by time we finish learning "b" ; we r surprised to see that we still need to learn "c".....now DHCp my GOD?? (life is never easy just for taking one broadband connection and sharing two pcs...wonder if forum like this and people like agnivo would not have been here what i would be doing????)

A

agnivo007

[OP]
Mohit,Again, my answers for ur queries...1. Splitter comes with the ADSL Router/Modem and RJ-11 Socket is the normal telephone socket in ur home installed by tel. company.2. Patch cables are used to connect PC-Switch, while Cross cables are used to connect Switch-Switch, Router/Modem-Switch etc, depending upon the type of LAN port u r connecting to. Plz don't bother about it as the switch u will be using (compex) has automatic speed and cable type detection to make ur life easy, and configures itself automatically.3. Try to understand this :1.BSNL Dynamic IP =====> 2.NAT =====> 3.Private IP(By DHCP)1.eg: 59.93.161.252 2.Network Address Translator 3.eg: 192.168.1.x1.(Visible from out) 2.(Inside Router) 3.(Not visible from out)Private IPs are the IP addresses of PCs/LAN equipment inside your LAN and hence not visible to hackers/prying eyes. Thus when you are connected to net, ur PCs are not visible to a hacker. Only the IP of router is visible. Hence NAT inside Router/Modem provides u security.DHCP : Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol. It is used to automatically assign IP addresses to PCs/LAN equipments configured as DHCP clients and also configures the gateway/etc. information required to access the net.Plz don't mind : Setting up a broadband connection is easy. But, I think your over-inquisitive nature makes it difficult for u to know and understand every linked aspect in little time! :rolleyes: Good Luck,AR.

b0bee

Regulars
May 10, 2005
ok As Hulo pointed out that poster happens to be me ..I have 2pcs at home and one mac and one wifi access pointI got a 2mbit plan and BSNL people gave me 880 modemI connected the modem to the splitter etc etc and then using a normal ethernet cable ( not a crossover cable as mentioned here ) I connected it to a switch ( 6 Port Hub). After that I did the settings in the modem and set it as pure bridge.and then from the 2 pcs .. I setup a PPaoe Dialer .. and connected my both PCs with independent ips no problem.. them from my mac running tiger I did the same and finally from the airport express also too.Finally I had 4 ips from bsnl.. alll at the same timeEverything was running smoothly without any breaksbut one fineday I saw only one of my pc is connected to net and rest all are not workingI tried everything after that but all in vainnow I have connected the modem to airport express and set the airport as dns provide .. which is serving private ips to 3 computers..I know there is not much of a difference between the private ip and public ip for daily usebut think of a scenario where you need a port on all three pcs..suppose I use ftp on all 3 and for to connect to a remote server I need ident server which runs on port 113from the airport ... portforwarding utility I can only forward port 113 to one private ip only not all..so this is why I was looking for 3 public ips..Also BSNL says the business class is mulituser enabled whereas the home plans are notwhat does they mean by itas is shown in this .. anyone can connect as many computers as they want on home planI thought only difference was that multiuser plan will have multi public ipsbut thats not working for me anymore..anyone here has any clue.. ? herebut please dont tell me again that I am confusedif i am doing something wrong let me knowthat will be of better helpThanks

A

agnivo007

[OP]
Sorry, I have still not tasted business plans, but can guess that they have changed some configuration which did not allow any more to use bridgemode to obtain different public IPs. The majority members here have home plans, not business. Hence, I think bugging around with high-end broadband stuff will be of little use to them...atleast to me.I hope u get my point...