• Views Views 8,353

ijsa

Regular
I got banned!
ISP
Excitel
Dear friends,

Please advice & suggest....

I plan to use MTNL 3G -1650 unlimited for home use in Delhi.

Hardware (planning to buy).
1. TP-Link-TD-W8968-Wireless-ADSL2-Router (ADSL+3G+IPv6+USB sharing) = approx. Rs.2350
2. ZTE MF190 3G Data Card = approx. Rs.700
3. USB 2.0 Extension Moulded 5 Meter White Cable Type A Female to Male 5M = approx. Rs.215

Already using MTNL broadband 512UL@Rs.599........ But now due to many new devices addition, there is a bandwidth constraint......

Problem is that indoors MTNL 3G signal strength is 87-95dbm..... but at roof top I get 65-71dbm consistently... So I intend to use the USB extension cable and attach the 3G data card at the roof end and the other end of the USB cable in the router.......... So.... is this solution practical/ anyone... done that.....

If this works out what is the tentative speed expected at say 67dbm signal strength.......

Thanks
Inderjit

Using an external antenna would be a better option. With that good a signal strength, expect above 2mbps.

Though as speeds can vary from location to location, do a speed test first to confirm the speeds.

So here's my experience:

I tried using a data card with a router via USB and that sucks a lot as it is flaky.

What I would recommend is getting yourself a Huawei E5151 and connecting it to your home router using an RJ45 cable or if you have less than 10 devices then using it as your router at home. The range is decent in my opinion.

I am using one of these with my Asus RT-N16 and it works perfect.

Ever since I've been using the Huawei mifi router, I've been getting around 7-8Mbps (900-1100 KBps) speed, which is pretty good. This is the same MTNL Delhi SIM on a 1650 voucher.

Thanks friends for the feedback.....

So here's my experience:
I tried using a data card with a router via USB and that sucks a lot as it is flaky.

Please tell me which data card and router were used here and signal strength. And did you use any USB extension cable.

So here's my experience:
What I would recommend is getting yourself a Huawei E5151 and connecting it to your home router using an RJ45 cable or if you have less than 10 devices then using it as your router at home. The range is decent in my opinion.

This is exactly what I intended to do but to save cost and device(router) redundancy.... I want to use USB extension cable as the signal strength at roof top is good. My only doubt is...... would there be any signal/ data losses in 5M long extension cable. Theoretically USB cables can run up to 5M.

The setup recommended by you would cost 11K (Huawei E5151 + Asus RT-N16) ....... but my set up would cost 3/ 3.5K.

Anyway........ Congratulations for getting such wonderful speeds...

But honestly I have done what you're saying (minus the 5M cable part) and the connection was not as reliable as it is now. Sure it was expensive but I think it was worth it.. You can also use a cheaper router like TP-Link Wr740N and an E5151 (5k cost). The e5151 is what I feel is important.

But honestly I have done what you're saying (minus the 5M cable part) and the connection was not as reliable as it is now. Sure it was expensive but I think it was worth it.. You can also use a cheaper router like TP-Link Wr740N and an E5151 (5k cost). The e5151 is what I feel is important.
Thanks for the feedback friend........

And any clue of the signal strength you were getting back then and now.
And one more thing...... Why you are not using Dolphin Mumbai..... you could be saving Rs.450pm...... any special reason...
May be you are right but monthly subscription might just be double......

You sure to get 2mbps with mtnl ? I never crossed 512kbps leave alone 1mbps.
How much data u download everymonth?

Would be better to upgrade current dsl plan to 2 mbps , its Rs 1899 or 1799 pm , no signal issues, & no need to buy new hardware .