ADSL Link Query

• Thread starter Thread starter agnivo007
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 51
  • Views Views 9,075
Norton/Trendmicro....? :lol:U will see ur PC crawling instead of sprinting !....hahaha :lol:

Originally posted by agnivo007@May 21 2005, 08:35 AM
Item--------------Downstream-----Upstream-----Unit
SNR Margin------------31---------------25---------dB
Line Attenuation-------17---------------4----------dB
Data Rate-------------2048------------256--------kbps

Cisco tech, ur SNR & Line attenuation figures are not good, must be due to the distance. So, the link might not be stable sometimes...
[snapback]9736[/snapback]
[/quote]

as far as i know, SNR Margin stands for Signal to Noise Ratio Margin, so i wonder whether the connection quality is good when it is low or when it is high!!

Mr.Mukesh,A high SNR means good signal quality, hence more stability and speed of connection. And just the opposite is Line Attenuation...

If Norton/Trendmicro will make me see my PC crawling instead of sprinting then what is suggested solution for it. I wish to be on the economy side.

I always used to suggest everyone against installing Norton Antivirus but then I got one CD for free and installed it. As always feared, my PC then became pathetically slow and I uninstalled it. Now I use the free AVG and the PC runs ok.

I am already using AVG for all my comps for close to 2 years or may be more. I am averagely satisfied with it ( not fully though ). It seems I will need to continue with it in view of the negative opinion about Norton.

IN addition I also use Microsoft Antispyware. Its quite good. It is better to keep the auto-update enabled for keeping it up-to-date with the new spywares. Also I use Zonealarm which comes handy to monitor which program is trying to access internet. I had one such stubborn spyware in the PC which tried to send data oner the net. It was becos of zonealarm that I came to know of its existence (AVG and MS Antispyware was not installed then). I blocked its internet access. Later AVG cleaned it, altho norton could not do so previously.

I saw the same function of zonealarm in Mcafee, would you suggest I use a Firewall of McAfee. Zone Alarm is a tough s/w to handle for a layman like me. I had to uninstall it last year as I could not handle it.

My prescription for the connected ones :[ For people always looking for FREE Stuff ]--Rating=****Firewall-------Sygate Personal FirewallAntivirus------AVG Free EditionAntispyware--Spybot S&D[ For older PCs ]--Rating=***Firewall--------Kerio Personal FirewallAntivirus------F-Prot [paid]Antispyware--Spybot S&D[ For faster/newer PCs ]--Strongest+Robust Security--Rating= *****Firewall+Antivirus+Antispam--Bitdefender Pro Plus 8 [paid]Antispyware--Spybot S&DI don't recommend MS Antispyware as its still in BETA Stage !I'll try the final release.If you need full versions of the paid ones, contact me by email.I dont want to discuss that stuff here ! :lol:

[ For people always looking for FREE Stuff ]--Rating=****
Firewall-------Sygate Personal Firewall
Antivirus------AVG Free Edition
Antispyware--Spybot S&D[/b]
To this add....
Antispyware..
1. Lavasoft Adware Free
2. Spybot S&D
3. HJT (HiJackThis)

and your system will be secure ;-)

Tushar,How many antispyware programs does one need ?According to my experience, Spybot S&D is the best of all.It removes spywares,adwares,hijackers,dialers,certain trojans and worms too! :lol:

I use Ad-aware and Spybot. Like I said somewhere else they each detect something the other can't. However it should be noted that since I dumped internet explorer for Opera I have had exactly 0 spyware installed on my computer for a long time now. Okay maybe I browse safer than most people and you might be able to get spyware using Opera but heck anything's better than internet explorer.

anand,Yea, any browser other than IE is a safe bet. Activex installers and automatic downloaders, toolbars which are major contributors of spyware/adware, are predominant and active on IE. I use FireFox and dad uses IE. So, I have immunized IE using Spybot S&D and have no spyware since then... :lol:Already used borgchat (not for newbie users!) ... :lol:

zonealarm security suite removes the need for much fo the stuff. i do not generally require an antispyware suite considerin there are a limited number of sites i visit and not much experimentation is done on this system.

Zonealarm is like a crap to many who find difficulty to configure it.It's nothing but a BLOATWARE !