Is loop shutting down in mumbai?

• Thread starter Thread starter Jiggawhat
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 3,421
Hello people..i recently started getting calls from vodaphone constantly hampering me to shift to their network..telling me ki loop is shutting down on the 20th of this month and stuff like this...i was initially sceptical of this statement and all news articles point to airtel acquring all loop customers...does this mean that my loop number will automatically become airtel?or will it become useless?

I made 2 threads earlier,not sure about what forum to post it in...sorry

of course your connection would not become dead 😕

Yeah...thats what i guessed..but the vodaphone person was trying to convince me that loop would completely shut down and i would be left in the lurch...
So my loop number automatically becomes loop without any hassle to me,right?
Thanks

Here's the deal. Loop will shut down on the 24th of November, if you don't port out by then, there's a large chance that you'll lose your number.

The deal with Airtel has not been approved yet, even if it does get approved, there is no clarity on how the transition would take place.

Now wpuld be a good time to port out. Most networks have special plans for Loop customers. Rcom has postpaid plans starting at 99, vodafone has something similar too, afaik.

Actually AirTel was about to buy loop with all its (2500+) tower and (7 Million+) customers for 700 crore Rupees.. Loop being oldest operator in Mumbai, has many high revenue early adopter Postpaid Customers, which AirTel is eyeing obviously... Further AirTel is second in Mumbai after Vodafone, as AirTel is using 1800MHz 2G spectrum only, whereas Vodafone, MTNL, Loop is using 900MHz spectrum, whose signal has much better building penetrating power.. If AirTel gets Loop customers, then they will become number ONE operator in Mumbai, wrt subscribers count.

Since Loop's license is about to expire in Nov2014, there is NOT much regulatory issue, as AirTel is going to buy Tower and subscribers only and NOT spectrum of Loop.. Further AirTel got the almost same 900MHz spectrum (to use after Nov2014) which currently Loop is using, so no need for much change in Tower / equipment settings and coverage will be same - if NOT better for Loop + Airtel users, imho...

Further the 900MHz spectrum, Airtel got is LIBERATED SPECTRUM.. That is they can launch any (2G or 3G or even 4G) service during the 20 year licensing period on that spectrum.. AirTel may launch 3G on that 900MHz spectrum, as 900MHz is second most used 3G spectrum after usual 2100MHz.. Further almost all latest high end phones (even age old Symbian phones too) support 3G on 900MHz.. So 3G coverage of Airtel will be increased or will be better than their 2G itself, imho

ALL IS WELL, till NOW... BUT... BUT... A pretty BIG BUT...

Dot/TRAI is seeing this as Revenue Loss (Yes, that Rs19 they charge for each MNP customer) and rejected to approve this deal... So YES, Loop customers MUST MNP to any other operator before mid Nov2014 to get continuous service... So what does this mean to AirTel / Vodafone+Others / Loop / Loop customers -- the advantages and dis advantages, let us see here in detail...

FOR AirTel:-

Advantages:-
[1] Now since NOT all 7 million+ customers will be coming to AirTel, they can now negotiate with Loop and reduce the 700 crores to much less amount...

DisAdvantages:-
[1] Their dream of becoming Number ONE in Mumbai, is hard to reach now..
[2] They may have to give good / cheaper plans to attract Loop customers, else loose them to RGsm or Vodafone..

FOR Vodafone/Others

[1] They got a good chance to gain a big slice of Loop subscribers..
[2] For Vodafone, there is a high chance, they can continue as number one in Mumbai...

Nothing much, I can see, imho...

FOR LOOP

Nothing much and to be frank, Loop is in Soup now, imho...

[1] AirTel will definitely reduce its initial Rs700 crore offering, for its infra - which is of not much to them as they are anyway going to exit Telecom business...

FOR LOOP CUSTOMERS

[1] All operators will give them mouth watering offers to join their network, incl 3G data, which they have never experienced till now afaik...
[2] No MORE roaming charges to travel in same state, imho...
[3] There is no way, AirTel can force their sh!tty MyPlan down to their throat now...

[1] For very very very few Prepaid customers, maintaining heavy balance, the part of amount may get wasted, as they MUST port out in Nov2014...

My View:-
[1] Its better for Loop customers to Port to AirTel, as their existing coverage will be there 100% and can get 3G at those same places in near future.. Further, now they got better chance to get good plans from AirTel as well...

[2] Next better option is MTNL, as they have TRULY UnLimited 3G plans and even though their 3G network is bad, it will be OK for Loop users who have used EDGE only earlier, imho..

[3] Next better option will be RGsm.. Their offers will be definitely best among others, as they are desperately in need.. But I have heard that their 2G network is horrible and check whether you get their proper 3G coverage in your place..

[4] Last better option will be Idea.. Though they provide 3G via ICRA, they have better coverage all over MH and own 3G network in rest of Mumbai circle...

Yes, I am little bit (not much) biased and I admit I HATE Vodafone, not only for them being a foreign operator, but also due to their Peiter's Bul1Sh!t talk about India, in recent news..​

DisClaimer:-
I am doing printing Business in TamilNadu and I am NO way connected to Airtel or any other Telecom co... I am currently using AirTel Corporate connection, but I don't blindly support them. I hate their Bu11Sh!t MyPlan, VAS activation in Prepaid, to the core. I am big enough to get good plans from AirTel, thats why I am their subscriber now..

This post is just my views and may have few errors here and there...

Rcom 3G is miles ahead of Vodafone 3G here at least 😛
Unless of course Vodafone has capped speeds on my Sim. Mtnl isn't worth it, especially if the number is your primary one.