Configure Ip For Broadband

sudarsandey

[OP]
Mar 7, 2007
I am using BSNL BB with starlite MT882 adsl modem.I have 6 computer(Win XP) connected through LAN with a client computer (Not server) having ip 192.168.0.1 and others have option "Obtain IP automatically. I have connected ADSL modem via LAn port to the switch i am using for LAN.I cannot access http://192.168.1.1 (to configure modem)as it says this IP is used by others.But if I cange my computer IP to 192.168.1.X then I can access the modem configure page but that time I can not access other computer through LAN.More over if i keep the BB connection idle for sometime the machine needs restart.

waveking

Regulars
Oct 15, 2006
I am not very sure about your current network configuration, but here is how it should ideally be. Your Modem goes in the WAN in of your router/switch. And from the switch ports you connect your PCs. Your router/switch should be configured to lend DHCP Ips from 192.168.1.x where x =>say, 50. This will prevent the dhcp server to assign any PC with 192.168.1.1, which is reserved for your routerThis will be your gateway IP too. Also, check if the same IP in use with your modem too..then you would need to change the static ip of your switch/router to say, 192.168.1.2

grtraders

Feb 6, 2007
QUOTE(waveking @ Mar 9 2007, 09:43 PM) [snapback]82741[/snapback]
I am not very sure about your current network configuration, but here is how it should ideally be. Your Modem goes in the WAN in of your router/switch. And from the switch ports you connect your PCs. Your router/switch should be configured to lend DHCP Ips from 192.168.1.x where x =>say, 50. This will prevent the dhcp server to assign any PC with 192.168.1.1, which is reserved for your router
This will be your gateway IP too. Also, check if the same IP in use with your modem too..then you would need to change the static ip of your switch/router to say, 192.168.1.2[/b]

Set your Router LAN address in the 192.168.0.x range in line with the configuration of other PCs. The first 3 digits in an IP address must be the same for all the computers to see each other if the subnet mask has been set to 255.255.255.0
Don't forget to replace the address of the default gateway with your Router IP in all networked PCs otherwise those PCs will be able to access the Router but not the internet.

Ravi.