• Thread starter Thread starter nayakrnr
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 3,829

nayakrnr

Regular
ISP
airtel 128k UL
i'am planning to buy an Apple i-mac.not tomorrow.. but in couple of months when they release their new OS X leopard and with new intel processor.i have read most forums, blogs and reviews about mac, but still confused because the world is divided into two when it comes to mac.. and the debate still continues without any conclusion..the reason i thought about purchasing mac is because of its looks and a reliable & stable OS (as people say since i have not used it) apart from great fan following that is growing everyday through out the world.but india is different and so is our preferences.apple does not have much market over here.. (except studios and other movie related firms) as i have found out.none of my friends have mac, so its becoming difficult for me to come into a conclusion.i welcome any suggestion, ONLY form people who own mac or have used them before.thanks in advance.

QUOTE(nayakrnr @ Mar 7 2007, 11:07 AM) [snapback]82409[/snapback]
i'am planning to buy an Apple i-mac.

not tomorrow.. but in couple of months when they release their new OS X leopard and with new intel processor.

i have read most forums, blogs and reviews about mac, but still confused because the world is divided into two when it comes to mac.. and the debate still continues without any conclusion..

the reason i thought about purchasing mac is because of its looks and a reliable & stable OS (as people say since i have not used it) apart from great fan following that is growing everyday through out the world.

but india is different and so is our preferences.

apple does not have much market over here.. (except studios and other movie related firms) as i have found out.

none of my friends have mac, so its becoming difficult for me to come into a conclusion.

i welcome any suggestion, ONLY form people who own mac or have used them before.

thanks in advance.[/b]

Why not try to dual boot your PC to run Mac.I used to work for an ISP supporting Macs and I fell in love with them back then.
I already have mac Ox X 10.4.8 running on My P4 Machine in a Quadruple boot enviornment(XP,Vista,Ubuntu,Mac Os X)
Try this link for a dual boot systemDualBootGuide

I've been using a 12" mac powerbook for the last 2 years now. I absolutely love it. I initially anticipated that the availibility of specific software would be a problem, but this has largely been unfounded. Mac OS X is based on unix, and you can find mac ports of 99% of GNU/Linux software.As far as reliability goes, I think its a myth that Mac OS X is more "reliable" than Windows or Linux. I've had my mac freeze up on me more than once. And it's just an illusion that its "more secure" than Windows... the fact is that there just arent enough people working on creating mac exploits.I'd give the mac 10/10 for style points. It's well engineered, really well built. I love the aliminium finish of the powerbook.all in all, my mac experience has definitely been enjoyable. my next computer will definitely be a mac.

QUOTE(nayakrnr @ Mar 7 2007, 11:07 AM) [snapback]82409[/snapback]
i'am planning to buy an Apple i-mac.

i welcome any suggestion, ONLY form people who own mac or have used them before.

thanks in advance.[/b]

Go for it. You won't regret it. I have been using Macs, Windows PCs and a variety of Unix boxes for well over 10 years now. Ever since the emergence of Mac OS 10.1 - the macintosh platform has been my platform of choice even though I continue using the other platforms as well, for some specialized applications. I currently use a G4 mac mini, and an Intel Core Duo MacBook. Both are awesome.

I would strongly discourage you from trying to install a hacked version of OSX on a generic intel box. Not only is it illegal, but it also takes away from the true Mac experience which is built upon seamless integration of harware and software.

In this day and age of intel based macs, you don't have anything to loose. In the unlikely case that you hate it, or you just can't get adequate access to your software, you can simply install Windows or Linux on it.

You are right in waiting for Leopard. Not only will you not have to pay for an upgrade when it is released, but its quite likely that the release of Leopard will coincide with hardware updates across the range as well. If you are just testing the waters, I might suggest a Mac Mini first. The minis are extremely reasonable, and have sufficient performance for most applications.

Regardless of whether it is the smaller market share of the Mac platform as against the inherent design of the platform, that is responsible for lack of malware against it - the ground reality is that there is little, if any, malware (such as viruses, spyware, adware, etc) that is directed against the Mac and you would have to have a great desire to compromise the security of your system as well as be a moron at the same time to actually compromise your security.

HTH