Why I Cancelled My Tata Sky Purchase

• Thread starter Thread starter orangehues
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 56
  • Views Views 14,074
would u rather see Vim Bar in saas-bahu/ cookery shows OR while watching formula1?

vim bar ads should not be shown to me anyways. it's a total wastage of resources for the broadcaster to show that ad to me. so well, it does not matter which show comes vim bar ads!

The issue here is a little different that serving targeted ads like Google. We are talking about this info being sold to companies which may not be advertising with Tata Sky. This isn't about Tata Sky serving "contextual ads" based on content we are watching but them building my profile based on all my habits and selling it to anyone who's interested. Advertisers are always interested in reaching people with extra money. Tata Sky knows how frequently you order movies thru showcase and that is valuable info. Other than this, the channels might be interested in gleaning all sorts of info from this. For example, they can find out whether while watching a particular show you sit through it or leave it in the middle. At what point did you leave it and things like that. Alls this is valuable info and Tata Sky can profit from it without giving me back any incentive. See, it's about my rights. It may freak out some people and to others it may not matter at all. The point is *I* should be allowed to decide whether they can do this or not AND if they are doing it then I should be given incentive in terms of discounts etc.Btw, I'm back on cable until I get more choice and friendlier policies. No installation fee this time and reduced subscription charges. The cablewalas are behaving themselves now.RE: Selling the STB in the grey market - you can't. Tell me who'd be a likely buyer for a satellite STB when there are only two providers in India and none of them allow you to use your own STB. You might think that maybe you can sell it on ebay to someone who's Tata Sky STB is broken but unfortunately you can't even do that. You're forgetting that your Tata Sky STB is "married" to your digicard which means insert any one else's digicard and it won't work. This is what I meant by "locked till eternity."

Good article and well written.

orangehues,i can understand u have privacy issues, but that is not a problem to me.but i didn't understand this 'digicard is married to STB issue'. kindly explain, as i have to decide on cable/dth in a day or two.if a friend, who is a current subscriber to Tata Sky is not happy with it, can't i buy it off from him for say half the price (Rs.1500 instead of Rs.2999) and pay tatasky Rs.1000 for the dish installation? when i spoke to customer care that is what they said i can do.spoke to tatasky cust. care...currently denominations of Rs.260 are availablefrom March 10, denominations of Rs.300 will also be available.

You don't even need to pay 1000 to Tata Sky for installation.Most electronics corner shops will do that in 200 - 300 Rs.

QUOTE(Munnabhai)
if a friend, who is a current subscriber to Tata Sky is not happy with it, can't i buy it off from him for say half the price (Rs.1500 instead of Rs.2999) and pay tatasky Rs.1000 for the dish installation?[/b]
I don't think so. As soon as your friend deactivates his connection, the STB becomes useless because it will only work with the digicard that comes with it. Every digicard is "paired" or married with the particular STB that it comes with. For more info see this Wikipedia article on card pairing in Sky TV Digibox.

Now, if Tata Sky lets your friend transfer ownership without de-activating his connection, it might be possible. Find out from customer support again if this is what they are doing.

QUOTE(netfreak)
you don't even need to pay 1000 to TataSky for installation. Most electronics corner shops will do that in 200 - 300 Rs[/b]
I doubt that very much because the dish has to be aligned with precision or less than 1 degree. The Tata Sky engineer comes with a meter that calculates the angle precisely at the time of fixing the dish.

orangehues,they say we have to send a written request to their bangalore office for change of ownership, which will be done at no extra cost other than installation.netfreak, it is not a question of getting a local technician. if a friend sells his STB+digicard without the dish, how can the local technician connect the STB to somebody else's tatadish, without them (Tata Sky) coming to know of it?

QUOTE(Munnabhai)
they say we have to send a written request to their bangalore office for change of ownership, which will be done at no extra cost other than installation.[/b]
Ok, so it's a hassle but do-able if you know the seller personally. Won't work if you try to sell it to general public.

TRAI is currently drafting its first rules for the DTH sector, one of which, if it comes into being, will ensure that the service providers can take the STB back with some deductions for depreciation. This is the right way and will help people to get out of the lock-in and switch providers or move to a different technology like IPTV or CAS when it becomes available.

the Tata Sky stb which retails at Rs.2999 is apparently negotiable depending on how much the dealer is willing to share his margin with the customer. the dealer margin is Rs.500, and i know people who have got the stb for 2750/-secondly, on the box of the stb it is written "possession and use of this digicomp is subject to your subscriber agreement". as i understand this, as long as my agreement with tatasky stands, i can't use the box otherwise. the moment i cancel that agreement, i am free to do whatever i wish to do with the box.

dealer margin must be more than that. here in our bldg they have offered3300/- including installation and 3 months free. they have already installedone big dish for each wing in bldg so dish cost is nil for them now.abt possession agreement, it means that no sooner u cancel agreement, ucan not possess or use the digicomp. its not the other way round as u said.