• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 19
  • Views Views 14,511
Status
Not open for further replies.

Labchip

ISP
Comcast / TataIndicom+Reliance
Hi all,This is my first post to these forums.I have 2 broadband connections in Pune currently, one from Tata Indicom Broadband, and another from Reliance Broadnet. I have a 256 kbps unlimited connection from Tata Indicom (its really a strech of imagination calling 256 kbps broadband, but beggars can't really be choosers). From Reliance I have a 2mbps connection that is limited to 1GB of data transfer. I use a Xincom 502 dual WAN router to hook up to both my broadband accounts, and this in turn feeds into a Netgear wireless router. On my network I have a number of computers (Macs and PCs) and standalone IP devices (for audio, video, voice, etc). The router is designed to provide load balancing, QoS as well as automatic failover redudancy in case one broadband connection should go down (which happens far more frequently than I like).I have setup the Tata Indicom connection to be my primary connection, with the Reliance one to kicking in only if I need the additional bandwidth or if the Tata one dies. In general this setup works pretty well ... the one major drawback is the pesky login that the reliance network needs. If I am at home using a computer it is relatively simple matter to click on the login button. However if its only devices that are running, or if I am accessing my network from outside, then it becomes rather inconvenient.My questions are:1) Is it possible to circumvent this need to login? Is it possible to get into the administration page of the Reliance UTStarcom UT-300R2 ADSL Modem?2) If it isn't possible to circumvent this login, how long does the login on the Reliance connection hold if no packets are being sent through? Can it be left always on?2) If this is not possible, are there any other broadband providers that can provide similar throughput without need for a web login? (PPPoE authentication is fine - my router can do that automagically)Thanks in advance!

QUOTE(Labchip @ Mar 2 2007, 03:08 PM) [snapback]81893[/snapback]
My questions are:

1) Is it possible to circumvent this need to login? Is it possible to get into the administration page of the Reliance UTStarcom UT-300R2 ADSL Modem?

2) If it isn't possible to circumvent this login, how long does the login on the Reliance connection hold if no packets are being sent through? Can it be left always on?

2) If this is not possible, are there any other broadband providers that can provide similar throughput without need for a web login? (PPPoE authentication is fine - my router can do that automagically)[/b]

1. No.
2. 6 hours auto log off OR try the unauthorized Reliance plan for SME's.
3. Airtel 2MBPS 3GB limit

We're getting a similar setup at our studio in Pune. Both connections are Airtel 2MBPS (autodial) PPPoE. 2 Routers powering 3 Macs, 2 PC's and 1 Vonage line. I'll let you know how it goes once we're setup.

On a side note, how's that Xincom 502 dual WAN router? How much did it fetch you? Got any other suggestions?

QUOTE(macboy @ Mar 5 2007, 03:49 AM) [snapback]82159[/snapback]
1. No.
2. 6 hours auto log off OR try the unauthorized Reliance plan for SME's.
3. Airtel 2MBPS 3GB limit

We're getting a similar setup at our studio in Pune. Both connections are Airtel 2MBPS (autodial) PPPoE. 2 Routers powering 3 Macs, 2 PC's and 1 Vonage line. I'll let you know how it goes once we're setup.

On a side note, how's that Xincom 502 dual WAN router? How much did it fetch you? Got any other suggestions?[/b]

Thanks for your reply. I was a little dissapointed that no one had submitted any replies to the original post for so long.

What do you mean by 'the unauthorized Reliance plan for SME's'? and how much would that cost? Also how much would the Airtel 2Mbps 3GB limit connection cost? I am not sure if Airtel is available in our area - but if it isn't as yet, hopefully it will be in the near future. I am also looking at BSNL and the new service being offered by our local cable TV operator via the fibre that they are laying for Digital TV. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I think I might have figured a way to work around the Reliance login problem. I will try to configure my router to send an 'alive' packet via http through the Reliance WAN port every few hours to beat the auto logoff feature? Do you think this will work? or does the Reliance connection require re-login every 6 hours even if data is passing through?

WRT the Xincom router, I did quite a lot of research on routers that could connect to multiple WANs and do QoS. All the cheaper ones from the likes of D-Link, Linksys, Netgear, etc, etc had absolutely abysmal reviews. On the other hand the top-end ones were way out of my budget. The only two that seem to have very good reviews and matched my requirements were the Xincom XC-DPG502 and the Hotbrick LB2 - these can run anywhere between US$140- US$220 depending on where you search. It turns out that they are both actually the same hardware that is rebadged by Xincom and Hotbrick.

Twin Wan Router TWR XC-DPG502: XiNCOM
Hot Brick: Network Security: Hardware Firewall, Content filtering, firewall appliance, firewall, firewall security, vpn firewall, firewall router, firewall comparisons, security appliance, network intrusion, hardware vpn

Both companies have slightly higher models with VPN capabilities, and Xincom also has Multi-WAN routers that can load balance up to 8 WANs.

I am personally very happy with the Xincom. It was a bit fiddly to set up. But after getting all the firmware updates (the latest one is from Feb 27, 2007) it has been working like a charm. 2 Vonage lines, Pandora and Rhapsody streaming onto Squeezebox, and SlingBox TV streaming - all working without a hitch.

HTH,

Cheers.

Here's the link for the unauthenticated reliance plans. Speed's not that great though!

I've got 2 lines for the 2MBPS Airtel plan shared by 6 people at our studio. It costs around 1000Rs., I think, but there's that 3GB limit.

Your solution to Reliance might work. I use the regular unlimited plan at home and its actually never logged me out mostly because the connection is always busy doing something even at night. Let me know how if you got it to work. I tried to keep away with Reliance for work because I needed that Vonage line to work. So now the Airtel 2MBPS should ideally dial through the Router so the Vonage would be powered with internet. BSNL should do the trick too. They're both PPPoE.

That's a pretty sweet setup you got there. Whats your application?

Labchip,I am also looking to buy the Xincom (based on your review ofcourse 🙂. I am planning to use it with BSNL and Airtel. BSNL has good speed and data for their Business 9000 plan (2Mbps/75GB). The only issue is that it gets slow sometimes (not too slow though). Sometime it gets disconnected for 4-5 mins once in 2 weeks. I want to supplement this with Airtel 2Mbps/3GB plan.Can you provide me contact details of the Xincom distributor in India? Thanks-Vijay

QUOTE(macboy @ Mar 6 2007, 06:20 AM) [snapback]82267[/snapback]
That's a pretty sweet setup you got there. Whats your application?[/b]
Thanks, and thanks for the link. I haven't had a chance to setup the icmp or http alive packet to Reliance through the router - perhaps I will get a chance later in the week. I remain hopeful of its chances of success. I will keep you posted.

I'm not sure what you mean by my application - this current setup is for my home; and I am not into IT professionally if that was what you were asking. I spend my time between the US and India, and like to have access to all my media in both places. But it certainly serves as a nifty testbed for when we start setting up our systems for work - which is Biotech/MEMS related.

I'm glad to find another Mac user in Pune. Do you work with creative media or scientific applications?

QUOTE(zinxlinx @ Mar 6 2007, 01:33 PM) [snapback]82303[/snapback]
Can you provide me contact details of the Xincom distributor in India?[/b]
Unfortunately I don't have the slightest clue. I bought mine in the States - but a friend of mine wants to create a similar setup, and is trying to locate a distributor in India. If I have further information - I will certainly post it here.

Cheers

P.S... You might want to try contacting them directly through the form on this page. They do mention India specifically under Asia-Pacific.
http://www.xincom.com/international.php

QUOTE(Labchip @ Mar 6 2007, 12:31 PM) [snapback]82331[/snapback]
I'm glad to find another Mac user in Pune. Do you work with creative media or scientific applications?[/b]

I shuffle around the US and India a lot too. I used to live there until about 2 years. I own a media house in Pune which does Rich Internet application development to video and film. Talking about the Mac, we're also working on a very very cool service that we're about to launch for Apple products.

Where in Pune are you? What kind of Mac are you on?

QUOTE(macboy @ Mar 6 2007, 07:04 PM) [snapback]82338[/snapback]
I shuffle around the US and India a lot too. I used to live there until about 2 years. I own a media house in Pune which does Rich Internet application development to video and film. Talking about the Mac, we're also working on a very very cool service that we're about to launch for Apple products.

Where in Pune are you? What kind of Mac are you on?[/b]

I'm in the Deccan Gymkhana - Prabhat Road area. I use a 2GHz Core Duo white Macbook (not core 2 duo unfortunately - I'm waiting for Leopard to be released before I get a new MacBook Pro) and also an older 1.4GHz G4 mini which runs great. Both are running the latest updates of OS 10.4 Tiger. I also run WinXP Pro within Parallels on the Macbook because I need to use MS Visio and Project every now and then, and there's also some Molecular Biology software which is windows only - plus on the fun side there are some Audio tools that are windows only.

Sound exciting about your upcoming Apple products. Without being too intrusive - I'd be happy to volunteer for any beta testing once you are ready to unveil your app. I've been involved with a lot of beta testing professionally as well as personally.

Cheers.

QUOTE(Labchip @ Mar 5 2007, 07:43 AM) [snapback]82222[/snapback]
http://www.xincom.com/products/502/overview.php
http://www.hotbrick.com/produto.asp?tipo=2&codPro=22

Both companies have slightly higher models with VPN capabilities, and Xincom also has Multi-WAN routers that can load balance up to 8 WANs.

I am personally very happy with the Xincom. It was a bit fiddly to set up. But after getting all the firmware updates (the latest one is from Feb 27, 2007) it has been working like a charm. 2 Vonage lines, Pandora and Rhapsody streaming onto Squeezebox, and SlingBox TV streaming - all working without a hitch.[/b]

Labchip, where is this February 2007 firmware for the Xincom XC DPG-502? The most recent version I can find (after following your link) is version "2.1 Release 2O (5/9/2005)". If you can point me to a copy of this latest firmware, or email me a copy, I would greatly appreciate it.

- Colin

QUOTE(Colin @ Mar 11 2007, 09:45 AM) [snapback]82952[/snapback]
Labchip, where is this February 2007 firmware for the Xincom XC DPG-502? The most recent version I can find (after following your link) is version \"2.1 Release 2O (5/9/2005)\". If you can point me to a copy of this latest firmware, or email me a copy, I would greatly appreciate it.

- Colin[/b]

Here you go (verify your hardware verson before you apply the firmware. i.e. ADM5120 vs ARM9. The Feb 27 firmware is only for the ADM5120 version. Also it is recommended you backup your router settings to file and then reset them to factory default before applying the firmware)

http://www.xincom.com/support/firmware/

Cheers.

I use a Xincom 502 dual WAN router to hook up to both my broadband accounts, and this in turn feeds into a Netgear wireless router. On my network I have a number of computers (Macs and PCs) and standalone IP devices (for audio, video, voice, etc). QUESTION: This is not any attempt to answer your detailed concerns, but rather express my need here. From the quote above, can I infer that if I place a router as Netgear WGT624 after the BSNl-supplied-configured router, and before my LAN, I will be able to connect to BB simultaneously with a single account, at least with the 4 ports that come with it?If "yes" to the latter, is there any way I can share the BB connection for my LAN of 25 PCs or so?

QUOTE(sohamsoham @ Mar 12 2007, 10:36 AM) [snapback]83077[/snapback]
From the quote above, can I infer that if I place a router as Netgear WGT624 after the BSNl-supplied-configured router, and before my LAN, I will be able to connect to BB simultaneously with a single account, at least with the 4 ports that come with it?
If "yes" to the latter, is there any way I can share the BB connection for my LAN of 25 PCs or so?[/b]

Well this is a bit OT but, nevertheless ....

Yes... That's the whole point behind a router. I can't remember the exact number off the top of my head, but I think most home routers can handle up to 253 clients (or close to that). The four ports ports provided are usually standard on home / small office routers. You can use one or all of the four to plug into additional switches/hubs or wireless access points or even into other routers (wireless or not) in turn. Alternatively you can simply start with a wireless router and then all you need is wireless adapters on your 4 or 25 clients.

I don't know the details of the BSNL connection, but if it is PPPoE, most routers will be able to provide the logon credentials directly.

HTH

QUOTE(Labchip @ Mar 12 2007, 10:50 AM) [snapback]83080[/snapback]
Yes... That's the whole point behind a router. I can't remember the exact number off the top of my head, but I think most home routers can handle up to 253 clients (or close to that)........[/b]

For those many (25 or 253) connections, it is better to go for a Switch then a router.

Reason is, these routers are not greared up to handle that much traffic. Even a decent PC (2 GHz+ and 1 GB RAM) struggles to keep up with 100 connections. That is if you share internet through windows "Internet connection sharing" or Linux IPTables.

Picking up packets + handling NAT + WEP/WAP encryption means lots of CPU power; if PCs are transferring large files at LAN speeds. And home/SOHO routers do not have enough power.

OTOH, switch does not have to bother about IP stuff so you can buy one that handels 30 ports for cheap.

Configuration can look like:
Dual WAN Router ---> Switch ---> [ PCs + One DHCP Server]

Of course if some router is built to handle large number of connections then this does not apply. But those routers cost way too much.

@macboy - w00t!!! I think my Reliance ICMP + HTTP Keep Alive Packets from the router seems to be doing their job. Last night we had a Tata failure and it seamlessly moved over to Reliance. I repeated it manually this morning by switching off the Tata Modem, and again all the devices continued working without a hitch. 🙂 Lets see if this lasts over a longer period of time.@ netfreak - you're right about the el cheapo routers - my Xincom one though has a pretty pretty quality switch included. But even with some models from D-Link & Linksys - I have had pretty good LAN performance with about 10-15 devices on the network. At our office, we had well over 100 computers on the LAN, and even without a top end router/switch - we got close to 100Mbps connectivity constantly. I think for this user, with upto 25 connections, the Netgear router should not cause a considerable performance hit unless he is constantly moving around really huge files on his LAN. With respect to the connection sharing, the external WAN speed is so much lower than the capacity of the LAN, that there should not be a noticeable effect. My 2 cents!

QUOTE(Labchip @ Mar 13 2007, 01:15 PM) [snapback]83206[/snapback]
@macboy - w00t!!! I think my Reliance ICMP + HTTP Keep Alive Packets from the router seems to be doing their job. Last night we had a Tata failure and it seamlessly moved over to Reliance. I repeated it manually this morning by switching off the Tata Modem, and again all the devices continued working without a hitch. 🙂 Lets see if this lasts over a longer period of time.

@ netfreak - you're right about the el cheapo routers - my Xincom one though has a pretty pretty quality switch included. But even with some models from D-Link & Linksys - I have had pretty good LAN performance with about 10-15 devices on the network. At our office, we had well over 100 computers on the LAN, and even without a top end router/switch - we got close to 100Mbps connectivity constantly. I think for this user, with upto 25 connections, the Netgear router should not cause a considerable performance hit unless he is constantly moving around really huge files on his LAN. With respect to the connection sharing, the external WAN speed is so much lower than the capacity of the LAN, that there should not be a noticeable effect. My 2 cents![/b]

Labchip,
You were complaining about the web-based login for broadnet. Did you overcome the problem? if so, how were you able to do it?
I was thinking that if I get rid of the UTStar modem and put some other modem and have the Xincom do the PPPOe dialing, it would be possible to share the connection across devices.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.