HDFC Bank to send Debit Card PIN Numbers by SMS

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21
  • Views Views 3,658

If you work in an office, do you lock your phone with pin/encryption to prevent snooping?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I often leave my phone unlocked on my desk while I am away from desk

• Other (Explain below!)

• Total voters
Because your phone may be just lying on table in office where someone else MAY see the PIN?

Thats not right analogy. I can not carry all my stuffs everything everywhere in my pocket.

People tend to be very attached to their phones. So yes. They tend to stuff it with them everywhere. And wallet too. And a lot of them would have pin codes to prevent this behavior in a public place. I know I would if I spent 8 hours in an office.

Your phone means your personal photos. Your mails. I would worry about them more than a pin code for a card in my pocket.

In any case, best would be to let the consumer decide the route they want. Pushing this in the name of 'we are saving the planet earth!!!' is another bullshit excuse to cut their own costs.

Umm, you are saying this may be because you have not worked in offices.

Many simply leave phone on desk frequently. Ofcourse PIN will be there but for some phones SMS can be seen without unlocking phone.

But yes, let customer decide what he wants.

Phones let you access texts even when they are protected by PINs? This is a security issue.

He might be talking about the alert in the notification bar. Since I do not keep a pin, I am not sure if you still get a rolling preview like you do when the phone is not locked with a pin. I can on my phone read the message rolling in the bar at the top but my phone is not locked with a pin.

I guess that can be disabled in the messaging app or somewhere in settings. Not sure if possible on stock rom but surely can be done on custom roms

It is a privacy issue in either case 🙂 When the phone is locked, it should not display any personal data. Though I guess it still displays the name of the incoming caller 😛