• Thread starter Thread starter saivstech
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2
  • Views Views 5,363

saivstech

ISP
BSNL DataOne HomePlan 900UL
hello all,
Am using a BSNL FTTH broadband connection. I'd like to know what is a decent ping response time? All the while I was using www.speedtest.net and www.pingtest.net for checking speeds. Today when I spoke to BSNL FTTH JTO, I was told by him that speedtest.net website is not considered as they keep changing, dont know what he meant by changing. I checked speedtester.bsnl.co.in too but there also the results kept varying. But with whatever little knowledge I have, I presume he was shying from addressing my question. I realised if this has any impact on my skype videochat as the call quality is varying with video/voice calls together.
Anyways my test results are showing varying ping responses of more than 300ms on the speedtest/pingtest websites. My DL/UL speed results are not a problem except for the ping. So i'm a bit confused here, any guidance would be appreciated.
So when I countered the jto ftth guy he said anything less than 400-500ms is a decent ping response time. But I remember getting <100ms response times initially. So could anybody throw some light on this PING issue please? I told him that I used to get <100ms and he said I can call NIB and raise my ticket there and hung up. National Internet Backbone (NIB).
Does anyone know about a decent chap named RISHI working with erstwhile VSNL, forgot his complete name. Been breaking my head to recall his full name. this was way back in early 2000's. He used to answer any internet issues whenever I had, but I lost his email. He was technically competent as he was dealing with the Internet as network/systems administrator. Not sure if he he is still hanging in around there...technically sound guy who used to help without any airs.

cheers,
Srinivas

Last edited:
Dear srinivas, First of all...mark this statement and mark it well. NEVER EVER BELEIVE WHAT THE A** HOLES AT BSNL TELL YOU ABOUT YOUR CONNECTION. They are the most incompetent bunch of people you will find anywhere. They don't know shit about broadband, bandwidth etc...let alone ping (latency). I wonder sometimes if they would be able to write even their name properly on a piece of paper if asked to.

Now coming back to your problem, I am also having the same issue since 25th September, 2014. Before this I never encountered this sort of an issue with BSNL as i am a BSNL BB user since 4-5 years. I am an online gamer and play mostly on Singapore servers. Before 25th i was getting a decent ping of <80 ms. But now my ping is usually between 250-300 ms. I tried calling bsnl but every time they keep referring me to some other person. My download and upload speeds are normal and are what they should be. Only the ping is affected. I checked both the speedtest.net and pingtest.net and in both of them ping is coming high to the Singapore servers.

The most accurate explanation to this problem is, i think, BSNL has changed its routing to Singapore. Earlier they used to route to SG via Chennai but it seems they are now routing through Hong Kong. That is why all the users across india who are using BSNL and MTNL are getting such unusually high pings to south east asian servers. We are at the mercy of those imbecile faggots and all we can do is to wait and hope that they change back the routing to normal.

To their replies to your questions, i just cant stop laughing at their limited knowledge and incompetence. I wish the guy who told you that a ping of 400-500 ms is a decent one, was standing just in front of me. I would have taught that fool a good lesson. Gosh, where do these guys even come from. They charge a hefty sum for providing internet broadband services and this is their level. And also how on earth can someone say that ping test and speed test are not valid or correct. All around the globe these two websites are used to measure the internet speeds right from USA to Japan. When he actually told you that they keep changing, he meant that they kept changing the route to Singapore servers. It is never constant..which it should be. So whenever they take a long route to Singapore via hong kong instead of Chennai the ping shoots up. Also try posting your tracert results to one of the Singapore servers. That would give an idea as to which route are they really taking.

Moreover don't waste your time and telephone bill calling NIB. They will never solve your problem and will keep you waiting forever. I am thinking of changing my ISP and probably you should too.