Normal speed through LAN cable but slow through wifi

• Thread starter Thread starter SD_netter
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 23
  • Views Views 28,483
ISP
ACT, Airtel
Hi
I recently ( a week ago) acquired an ACT fibernet 40 mpbs connection.
However, I've faced this issue since the beginning: I get 40 mbps of speed through LAN cable (as tested on speedtest.net) but the moment i connect via wifi, the speed drops to 20 mbps, and fluctuates wildly, often dropping to 1-2 mbps, so i can hardly browse.
I figured that the issue might be with the Netgear N150 router, and I called ACT CC, who tried to configure the router, but to no avail. I then contacted NETGEAR CC, who were similarly unable to help, despite a lot of modifications to the router configuration.
I then ordered a new router (TP-Link N300) from flipkart, but (you guessed it) same problem. ACT CC is saying that it is not an issue with their end, as a direct connection gives the promised speed.
I tried configuring the router(s) in a hundred different ways (Channel 1, 6, 11, Auto; MTU size 1454, 1492, 1500; Dynamic IP, PPPoE; WEP, WPS) but nothing works. I placed it all over the house, but everywhere the issue is the same.
Another point: I have also an Airtel connection, which I hadn't disconnected as I wasn't sure about ACT, and the routers work absolutely fine with that! So I don't think the issue is with the wireless network adapter in my laptop, or the routers, or the range. Besides, the story is same on the phone and the tab.
I'm at my wits' end as to what to do. I'm sure the issue is with some setting somewhere, but despite scouring google for answers, I've found none. Any help will be much, much appreciated.

Glad you posted this! I upgraded my plan to ACT SOHO Value 80Mbps plan from the 1st of this month. The maximum download speed i'm getting on my Cisco E900 N router is a mere 8-10 Mbps instead of the 80. The upload speeds go upto 30 Mbps. I have troubleshooted everything, upgraded firmware, changed all the settings just like you did, no avail. While I understand that there will be a drop in speed when you use WAN on a 2.4ghz channel, these speeds are unacceptable and there is definitely an issue from the backend. I would love to hear from existing ACT Fibernet users. Does upgrading to a dual band router like the Airport Express help?

Cheap routers/modems have a poor implementation of wi-fi N mode. I have seen this in Netgear router.
Try changing the mode to "b/g" and the channel.

Note:"g" mode supports max theoretical speed of 54MBps, so if your connection bandwidth is more than this you might not get the full speed.

E900 on N is theoretically supposed to give 300Mbps speed. Real world output would be around 130 Mbps. Taking into account all the interferences and other factors, at the very least I should get a quarter of that. Atleast 25-30Mbps? ACT technicians are flummoxed. Their reply is that this is a common issue with routers and they cant guarantee higher speeds via Wifi . They can't even suggest a better router. I'd like to know what speeds other ACT Fibernet users are getting.

Check if wmm is selected under QoS in E900. If it is disabled, please enable it. If it is disabled, you will experience slow download speeds. This seems to be a known issue with E900.

Try setting the mode(b/g/n) to mixed or select N only mode and select the channel 1 or 6 or 9 manually.

Also, check what is the network wifi link speed on your laptop/desktop. Go to control panel -- Network and Sharing Center -- Select Wifi. You will be able to see the link speed here. If this speed is less, you are probably going to get the low download speeds.

Dear Sir,

Please share your Customer ID or registered contact number and we will get back to you.

Warm Regards,
ACT Fibernet

Like gopichand mentioned it would be to do with QOS settings else check if you toggle the channel bandwidth to check.. 20 mhz to 20/40 or vice versa

I have similar issue. Netgear JNR3120 is the router I am using.
I dont get download speed more than 512Kbps. Tried ACT CC and NetGear CC, both didnt work.
My ACT Account ID is 1121636, hope I get some help

Ok... My problem has been resolved. It was a pretty stupid issue; so forgive me for the silliness of the solution (and the late reply).
I actually use my laptop with a separate monitor, keyboard and mouse, so even when I'm using it the lid is closed. There lay the problem! On closing the lid, the wireless network adapter simply did not receive sufficient signal strength. Therefore, the 'solution' I got was simple: keep the lid open!
I'm sure this was not the problem initially though, because I had speed fluctuations even while using the laptop alone, but I guess ACT resolved those when I called them.
I hope this helps... someone.

Recently my ACT broadband connection was upgraded from 20mbps to 30mbps. After this, my connection speed from the wifi router dropped from 20mbps to 9mbps!
I called the CC and the lineman could not figure out the issue. He tried with his own Cisco router to check and he faced the same issue. The speed through the router was less than the LAN speed.

Finally he gave up and told me to buy a new router which he will configure correctly.

Recently my ACT broadband connection was upgraded from 20mbps to 30mbps. After this, my connection speed from the wifi router dropped from 20mbps to 9mbps!
I called the CC and the lineman could not figure out the issue. He tried with his own Cisco router to check and he faced the same issue. The speed through the router was less than the LAN speed.

Finally he gave up and told me to buy a new router which he will configure correctly.

,how would a new router helps when the issue wasn't resolved by using different router by linesman ,don't fall for the bs reason given by these guys and waste your money,there is some port issues which are restricting wifi speeds from Act ,even i have the same issue and they changed my port and i got full speeds and it's back to the same again after a week,currently i am getting around 12 mbps and full 30 mbps during night time ,i am gonna raise a complaint again coz the only good thing about Act is the speeds and it's pointless to be satisfied with half speeds

I found the issue was with the cheap router I had used to connect to PPoE. I have a Digisol (good one) and it was configured with PPoE settings and was connected with ACT. While the LAN gave me 60mbps, the wifi gave only 40mbps. Then I had my Apple Time capsule connected to this router through LAN and in bridge mode. Then the wifi of Apple Time capsule gave me 60mbps. By the way, the Apple TC is 802.11ac compliant. So if you need good bandwidth by a good router that supports 802.11b/g/n (/ac).

Now I have directly configured Apple TC with ACT and Digisol in bridge mode. This solved the bandwidth problem. While this is fine, occasionally I find net disconnection for a few seconds and coming back up again, unlike the AirTel which was steady.

I dont know if this is a router issue. I am facing this problem for a week now. Here is my problem.

I have Belkin wireless router which is configured to PPPoE. In this same configuration which worked absolutely fine until a week ago, I am now facing the below issue.

** Anything from Google servers including Google Drive and Android Play Store works only at a max of ~500kBps.
** Same goes with mega.co.nz. I tried downloading a 1.6GB ROM for my phone and it downloads at ~150kBps.
** Tried downloading a Windows 10 ISO from MS website and it downloads at ~300kBps.

Now, If I either connect ACT cable directly to my desktop or if I remove PPPoE and set the connection type to Dynamic, I see a big difference. Below are the test results.

** Still nothing related to Google works enough. The speed remains slow (goes up to a max of 500kBps).
** Tried a diferent Windows 10 ISO (this time I tried x86) from MS website and it downloads at over 5.9mBps (which is awesome)
** Tried downloading a 1.6GB ROM for my phone from mega.co.nz and it downloads at ~4.5mBps.

So now I am wondering why only Google servers are slow.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that upload to Google Drive works fine at over 5mBps.

Last edited: