Airport Extreme with ACT Fibernet - how to configure?

• Thread starter Thread starter tilt
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 78
  • Views Views 36,919
If you have static IP from ACT, you must select Static option in your router/airport
yes.. that is there..
what i m asking under Network mode..
Will it be DHCP and NAT
or Only DHCP

any Apple router user ??

Try with only DHCP mode. If you have a static IP from ACT, it is one-to-one NATing(there is no Double NATing for static private IP). So, if only DHCP doesn't work, try DHCP and NAT.

Try with only DHCP mode. If you have a static IP from ACT, it is one-to-one NATing(there is no Double NATing for static private IP). So, if only DHCP doesn't work, try DHCP and NAT.

tried that it says IP Conflict with WAN .. it will not allow you to update as Static IP is 10.X and as well as your internal IP also on same series..

Aah ok! I haven't used airport before, but I am assuming there should be an option to change router starting IP range. Change it to 192.*
Aah ok! I haven't used airport before, but I am assuming there should be an option to change router starting IP range. Change it to 192.*

Ah My Mistake. I can change to 192.168.. Silly Mistake..
Can connect now .. only need to figure out .. Double natting 🙂

Last edited:
Yeah, you need a new router.
nah .. not now.. there is an option to change internal series in netowrk option.. just explored .. now i have set Internet mode as static (10.XXX)

and router mode to DHCP and NAT (192.168.XXX) ..

Internet is fine .. but getting double nat error..

so will change to DHCP mode now.. and check ..

Will update..

In 'Internet Connection', use Static.
IP Address = Value supplied by ACT
Subnet mask = 255.255.255.0
Router Address = Gateway IP supplied by ACT

In 'DHCP and NAT', select DHCP only.
Router Beginning = 192.168.1.2
Router Ending = 192.168.1.200

In 'Internet Connection', use Static.
IP Address = Value supplied by ACT
Subnet mask = 255.255.255.0
Router Address = Gateway IP supplied by ACT

In 'DHCP and NAT', select DHCP only.
Router Beginning = 192.168.1.2
Router Ending = 192.168.1.200

yes .. but Router is bliking orange and status say .. Double NAT warning..

And when i change Router to DHCP .. then i am not able to change LAN IP address series to 192.X.. .it pickup 10.XX/

any advice @shr

Recently my router reset and i couldnt get it to work; had to call them again and reconfigure. So it is better done on a call with ACT and hope that the double nating warning goes off.

When i got the setup done on my non-Apple router, the support person asked me to key in the settings, then he made some changes server side and then asked me to confirm the changes in the router. Then he made me wait some time. The connection worked after that.

Can you do this on a call with ACT?

If it doesnt work, you may try using external IP in Static Mode.

Recently my router reset and i couldnt get it to work; had to call them again and reconfigure. So it is better done on a call with ACT and hope that the double nating warning goes off.

When i got the setup done on my non-Apple router, the support person asked me to key in the settings, then he made some changes server side and then asked me to confirm the changes in the router. Then he made me wait some time. The connection worked after that.

Can you do this on a call with ACT?

If it doesnt work, you may try using external IP in Static Mode.

Called them and they asked me to ignore that warning.. 🙂 ..

B/w I have got 2 solution now..

1st. Move back to PPPoE mode . and just use Apple Router. But won't be able to use Port forwarding.

2nd. Buy a basic router (700-800)

a - Put Basic router in Bridge mode as dumb device and connect Apple Extreme using router mode as DHCP and NAT.

b - Put Basic router in normal mode (Static Connection) and connect Apple Extreme using router mode as DHCP only.

The only concern is now.. will 100 Mbps speed carry from Basic to Apple extreme? . Should be as they are connected via Lan cable. isn't it ?

You are getting Double NATed as ACT gives you a LAN IP. So there is nothing wrong with the router's warning. If it works, you can continue with the setup and live with that annoying amber light.

My primary router connects to WAN with a static IP setup, handles DHCP and serves wifi for one part of the house. I use Airport Express 1st Gen as an access point for other areas.

You can consider using basic router (your Belkin) in the same configuration. There should not be any performance issues.

If your routers are Gbps ready and if you connect with a Cat 6 patch cord or a Cat 5e patch cord (in short distance run), you will get a 1Gbps link between routers. WAN speed depends on your ISP plan.

Last edited:
You are getting Double NATed as ACT gives you a LAN IP. So there is nothing wrong with the router's warning. If it works, you can continue with the setup and live with that annoying amber light.

My primary router connects to WAN with a static IP setup, handles DHCP and serves wifi for one part of the house. I use Airport Express 1st Gen as an access point for other areas.

You can consider using basic router (your Belkin) in the same configuration. There should not be any performance issues.

If your routers are Gbps ready and if you connect with a Cat 6 patch cord or a Cat 5e patch cord (in short distance run), you will get a 1Gbps link between routers. WAN speed depends on your ISP plan.

Do they Support DMZ ? if they enable DMZ for my IP . I think Double NAT issue will be solved. Let me call them tomorrow.

Hi @shr - Finally i have got it Direct Public IP to AE and no more amber light 🙂 ..