Airport Extreme with ACT Fibernet - how to configure?

• Thread starter Thread starter tilt
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 78
  • Views Views 36,903
DDNS - when ever you reconnect PPPoE (approximately once every 24 hours), your ISP will dynamically assign an available IP. When you want to access your network from outside (say from office, you are trying to access your home n/w), you need to know the IP address. As the IP address changes everytime, you have to setup DDNS in your router. There are DDNS providers like noip.com that will record your IP and map it to an URL like tilt.ddns.net. You need to register with them (some are free and some are paid) and get a ddns account. Upon registration, activate the same in your router. Everytime your IP changes, your router will update your DDNS provider and you can always access your home n/w with a single URL that always points to your current home IP.

When you access this URL it points to your router's external IP address. Hence you will invariably land in your router login page. If you have a surveillance camera or a home storage like a NAS, you will need a static NAT (or Port Forwarding) to access that device from outside.

To start with, you will assign a static LAN IP in the 192.168. range to each device identified by its MAC address. This makes sure that a specific home device gets the same LAN IP everytime.

Then you can setup a NAT (Network Address Translation) by assigning a port number to each device - much like a telephone extension behind a board. To reach the extension, you need to know the extension or its port number. Here you will assign a public TCP port and a Private TCP port. You can reference the device as tilt.ddns.net:10199 and point it to a private port number of 80 (http port of the device). While making public port assignments, google for known port reservations and avoid those.

@shr, thanks for the explanation. It takes talent to be able to put complex concepts in simple terms that even a novice can understand and remember; and you have that in abundance.

Currently I do not have (nor am I planning to have in the near future) a need for DDNS or NATting, but this post will serve as my starting point when I do.

The one point I think will be a stumbling block is that I am unable to access the Airport Extreme through a web browser. I do not know if Apple, in its infinite wisdom, has disabled such access, but the only way I can get into the router is from Airport Utility. And no, that is not an issue right now, it is just a point I noticed, that's all.

Cheers

DDNS - when ever you reconnect PPPoE (approximately once every 24 hours), your ISP will dynamically assign an available IP. When you want to access your network from outside (say from office, you are trying to access your home n/w), you need to know the IP address. As the IP address changes everytime, you have to setup DDNS in your router. There are DDNS providers like noip.com that will record your IP and map it to an URL like tilt.ddns.net. You need to register with them (some are free and some are paid) and get a ddns account. Upon registration, activate the same in your router. Everytime your IP changes, your router will update your DDNS provider and you can always access your home n/w with a single URL that always points to your current home IP.

Hi Shr.. I think u will be best to answer my Q.
Did u try port forwading ? I heard they changed IP Series to 10.X ..which is internal to ACT too ?
Second - What if i stream my Media server(Plex) to another ACT user .. will it get count in bandwidth .. as we do in LAN ..
Thanks..

Port forwarding works for me since i get the 106.* public IP.
Your uploads are not counted. My router log usage stat is in line with what ACT shows in their portal.

The one point I think will be a stumbling block is that I am unable to access the Airport Extreme through a web browser. I do not know if Apple, in its infinite wisdom, has disabled such access, but the only way I can get into the router is from Airport Utility. And no, that is not an issue right now, it is just a point I noticed, that's all.
Yes you are right @tilt. Browser based configuration is not available for Airport Express while most routers offer that.

@shr - the problem has come back. Until two hours ago what I did based on your instructions worked fine. Now it just stopped working, can no longer connect tot he internet. I had to go back to DHCP and login everyday from my computer instead of using PPPoE omn the router. I don't know if ACT has changed something at their end.

Any ideas?

Thanks and cheers

I was not getting any IP address at all, so now I reconfigured it to DHCP and now I am getting 10.* again. If I try to change it to PPPoE with Static and all the other things you mentioned, it goes back to blinking orange light and zero access with error messages saying no IP address, no DNS, no Internet, and a new error message saying PPPoE password is wrong (when I know it is NOT wrong).

Cheers

The 10.* is a private IP. ISPs are supposed to assign a public IP. This has been widely discussed in the forum. You may speak to ACT to get yourself a public IP..

I think this is affecting your router configuration.

Sorry, I just checked whatsmyip.com on my iMac and it gives me a 106.* IP. However, my Airport Extreme has a 10.* IP.

Cheers

OK, I just got off the phone with ACT. They used to give public IP until very recently and have now switched to only private IP addresses. They will not give public IPs any more.

They also said they do not support Airport Extreme because it is such a sensitive router; and even after I told them I was on a Mac, he asked me to type runcmd and ipconfig.

He wanted me to spell the name of the router so that he could google it and see how to configure it. This was one of the Network Operations guys who are supposed to be the experts when the ordinary customer support guys cannot answer your questions 🙂

He finally said "talk to Apple" and Apple told me to talk to ACT and get the settings for PPPoE. This guy could not give me any of the settings!

*sigh*, life!

Cheers

Sorry, I just checked whatsmyip.com on my iMac and it gives me a 106.* IP. However, my Airport Extreme has a 10.* IP.

Cheers
If you get 106.* it should be possible to get your Extreme to work with ACT. I dont have an Extreme at home but I have an express. Let me try to configure it on ACT and let you know over the weekend.

If you get 106.* it should be possible to get your Extreme to work with ACT. I dont have an Extreme at home but I have an express. Let me try to configure it on ACT and let you know over the weekend.

ACT tech guy came yesterday and even he could not do it with help from his backend people. So they let it stay dhcp and did MAC binding so themat I don't have to login everyday.

Cheers

Apple router works with ACT on PPPoE mode without any flaw.

Did any one configure same airport with static IP of ACT (Act Lan cable connected to airport directly).

I have got Static IP from ACT today .
I am able to browse internet directly from PC.
I am able to browse internet from Belkin normal router.

But in Airport - I have 3 option of Internet
1. PPPoE - Ruled out.
2. Dynamic - Can't use with ACT Static IP
3. Static.

Here is catch . I used this. But in network tab u can't have DHCP and NAT together (Double NAT issue). DHCP mode in network not giving internet.

Any help pl.