Airport Extreme with ACT Fibernet - how to configure?

• Thread starter Thread starter tilt
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 78
  • Views Views 36,906
Greetings,
I have a Similar setup!
Airpot Extreme, 2 Windows PC, tablet, mobile and PS3 on my network.
Currently, I have my internet working through DHCP mode (bridged connection) I wanted to setup PPPOE because too often in order to connect to internet, I have to provide account name password and go from there (I can live with that, but if there are better options to have seamless connection, please suggest)

Greetings,
I have a Similar setup!
Airpot Extreme, 2 Windows PC, tablet, mobile and PS3 on my network.
Currently, I have my internet working through DHCP mode (bridged connection) I wanted to setup PPPOE because too often in order to connect to internet, I have to provide account name password and go from there (I can live with that, but if there are better options to have seamless connection, please suggest)

Are you using Fibernet . Then don't put in bridge. You can connect directly to ATC and cinfigure INternet in PPPoe mode.

Are you using Fibernet . Then don't put in bridge. You can connect directly to ATC and cinfigure INternet in PPPoe mode.
Yeah, Fiber-net. Would you be kind enough to provide summary of steps that will get it to work. I read through the entire thread, but I assume this can be achieved using simpler steps. I will make screenshot and a complete guide once I get mine step-up.

Yeah, Fiber-net. Would you be kind enough to provide summary of steps that will get it to work. I read through the entire thread, but I assume this can be achieved using simpler steps. I will make screenshot and a complete guide once I get mine step-up.

First Connect ISP provided LAN Cable directly to WAN port of ATC,
Launch Airport Utility Client
Click on Edit and move to Internet tab
Use Connect Using PPPOE and provide your ISP username and password .. (the same you use in login process)
Tab to Network tab and put Router mode as DHCP And NAT . (You can choose range under Network option ) .
Save and reboot .

You should be fine.

First Connect ISP provided LAN Cable directly to WAN port of ATC,
Launch Airport Utility Client
Click on Edit and move to Internet tab
Use Connect Using PPPOE and provide your ISP username and password .. (the same you use in login process)
Tab to Network tab and put Router mode as DHCP And NAT . (You can choose range under Network option ) .
Save and reboot .

You should be fine.
Thanks much, I will get this configured and revert for any issues. Appreciate your time and help!

Hi All!
Thanks.This seems to be the only resource online for setting up Airport Extreme with ACT Fibernet.
I followed the above procedure and still unable to setup using pPoe Help!

thans jay!
tried that but still doesn't work.
//I connect ethernet ACT LAN cable to ethernet port on iMac.
Log out of ACT portal
Connect ACT Lan cable to ethernet port of AE directly.
Connect using Airport Utility.AE detected.Both Internet and AE are orange lights
Edit the options to Internet to PPOE, give ACT username and password and set router mode to NAT AND DHCP(which is shown as default and not changeable) Check Network options to see router range its x.x.x..2 to x.x.x.x.200
Save and Update
//Update and Frustrate

Im frustrated and don't want the Apple extreme to just sit there literally like a cuboidal white elephant, so Ive connected a TP-Link cheap router and running the AE in bridge mode connected to TPlink via ethernet cable. I setup All devices at home connect to the AE wifi network and ignore the TP. But the TP link keeps dropping and thats the reason I went for an AE in the first place.!
Now my setup:
Internet---ACT Fibercable---TPlink(PPoE)(does the autologin everytime)---Ethernet Rj45---Airport Extreme(bridgemode)---All Wifi Clients latch to AirportsWifi

Help!!

Last edited:
Option 1: A primary router to connect to ACT via PPPoE. Airport Extreme (or Express) connects to primary as a switch / access point
Option 2: Sweet talk ACT to give you a static IP.
You can refer the issue of line getting dropped to ACT. I had a similar issue that got resolved after their engineer crimped their CAT 5 cable once again.

Option 1: A primary router to connect to ACT via PPPoE. Airport Extreme (or Express) connects to primary as a switch / access point
Option 2: Sweet talk ACT to give you a static IP.
You can refer the issue of line getting dropped to ACT. I had a similar issue that got resolved after their engineer crimped their CAT 5 cable once again.
Thanks Shr!
Im doing option 1 now and I can live with this.I will try, against all hope, to make ACT cough up a static ip for me.

Pardon my ignorance, but in my present set up.Im using an Apple Airport Extreme 6th gen with dual band wifi and a,b,g,n and ac.
1.Am I able to exploit my Airport extreme's dual band wifi in anyway?
2.What about ac,Will the existing clients use only a,b,g,n?Im totally clueless about all this jargon.
3.Is my primary PPoe router actually offloading all the heavy lifting to Airport Extreme ...as all clients are connected to the Airports Wifi?
OR is it still taking all the heat additionally to the AE?
In an ideal setup, I would like my primary uplink to only do the PPoe bit and hand off all load to the Airport.I don't understand how this networking works, so pardon if this counts as silly.

@VishK Kish Just something to try, if you haven't already - Try DHCP mode using Airport Express first, see if you are able to login through the portal, if you can, then logout and retry using pppoe. I remember facing similar issues when I first tried to setup my Express, don't remember how it got resolved though. If all else fails, reset the router and try again. You can always get an ACT technician to come to your place and set up the router for you.

@VishK Kish Just something to try, if you haven't already - Try DHCP mode using Airport Express first, see if you are able to login through the portal, if you can, then logout and retry using pppoe. I remember facing similar issues when I first tried to setup my Express, don't remember how it got resolved though. If all else fails, reset the router and try again. You can always get an ACT technician to come to your place and set up the router for you.
Tried that JAy. It simply refuses to work.Running a cheapylink TP-Link for PPoE now and beaming wifi around the house using the Apple

You can try turning off wifi in your primary and keep wifi running in secondary.
The other option is to setup the boxes in different rooms (provided you can run a network cable from primary to secondary) so you get a roaming wifi network in your home. You can google to find out how to setup an access point. Some quick instructions: keep the same SSID and passphrase on both boxes but have them run different channels. You may need some trial and error to avoid using the same channel as your neighbors.

I find that Apple devices are hungry to connect to airports but it sometimes is a nuisance when you move far away from an airport device. Your mac or ipad is still connected to that instead of a nearer device. If you use a windows PC you can do the following tweak.
1. Control Panel -> Device Manager -> Locate your wifi adapter -> right click -> Properties -> Advanced -> Roaming Aggressiveness -> Select 4 or 5. You will be connected to the nearest wifi source.

Hi All,

I'm a new user and created a login just to confirm - the following worked for me:
I got a new ACT connection yesterday and use the following to configure my Airport Extreme. The only changes I made was to check my IP and use that.
It has to be done using Airport Utility. Since you are using a Mac, you can use the following steps -
Open Airport Utility. To open Airport Utility, click Launchpad, put Airport Utility in the search box. Click Airport Utility to launch it.

Go to Internet tab. Connect Using = Static. IPV4 address = 192.168.3.1; Sub net mask = 255.255.255.255; Router address = 192.168.3.1; Click Update; This will set the IP address for the Airport Express.
Change Connect Using = PPPoE; Account Name = <your ISP ac name>; Password = <your isp password; do not leave blank>; Service Name = <leave blank>; Click Update;
Click Network; Router Mode = 'DHCP Only'; DHCP Range = 192.168.3.2 to 192.168.3.200; Click Network Options...; DHCP Lease = 1 day; Save; Click Update;
Click Wireless; Click Wire less options; You can select either of 802.11n only (2.4GHz) or 5GHz, if all you wireless clients are 802.11n compatible. Use 2.4GHz for slower speed and longer range; Use 5Ghz for faster speed and shorter range.

The only issue i have is that if i connect the RJ-45 cable directly from ACT to my laptop, I get around 76Mbps throughput, but after this configuration (and 4 devices connected simultaneously) I get download speeds ranging from 2Mbs to max of 7 Mbps.