Airport Extreme with ACT Fibernet - how to configure?

Arun Sundar

Jul 18, 2015
Greetings,
I have a Similar setup!
Airpot Extreme, 2 Windows PC, tablet, mobile and PS3 on my network.
Currently, I have my internet working through DHCP mode (bridged connection) I wanted to setup PPPOE because too often in order to connect to internet, I have to provide account name password and go from there (I can live with that, but if there are better options to have seamless connection, please suggest)

krgaurav

Regulars
Jan 28, 2011
Greetings,
I have a Similar setup!
Airpot Extreme, 2 Windows PC, tablet, mobile and PS3 on my network.
Currently, I have my internet working through DHCP mode (bridged connection) I wanted to setup PPPOE because too often in order to connect to internet, I have to provide account name password and go from there (I can live with that, but if there are better options to have seamless connection, please suggest)

Are you using Fibernet . Then don't put in bridge. You can connect directly to ATC and cinfigure INternet in PPPoe mode.

Arun Sundar

Jul 18, 2015
Are you using Fibernet . Then don't put in bridge. You can connect directly to ATC and cinfigure INternet in PPPoe mode.
Yeah, Fiber-net. Would you be kind enough to provide summary of steps that will get it to work. I read through the entire thread, but I assume this can be achieved using simpler steps. I will make screenshot and a complete guide once I get mine step-up.

krgaurav

Regulars
Jan 28, 2011
Yeah, Fiber-net. Would you be kind enough to provide summary of steps that will get it to work. I read through the entire thread, but I assume this can be achieved using simpler steps. I will make screenshot and a complete guide once I get mine step-up.
First Connect ISP provided LAN Cable directly to WAN port of ATC,
Launch Airport Utility Client
Click on Edit and move to Internet tab
Use Connect Using PPPOE and provide your ISP username and password .. (the same you use in login process)
Tab to Network tab and put Router mode as DHCP And NAT . (You can choose range under Network option ) .
Save and reboot .

You should be fine.

Arun Sundar

Jul 18, 2015
First Connect ISP provided LAN Cable directly to WAN port of ATC,
Launch Airport Utility Client
Click on Edit and move to Internet tab
Use Connect Using PPPOE and provide your ISP username and password .. (the same you use in login process)
Tab to Network tab and put Router mode as DHCP And NAT . (You can choose range under Network option ) .
Save and reboot .

You should be fine.
Thanks much, I will get this configured and revert for any issues. Appreciate your time and help!

VishK Kish

Jan 21, 2016
Hi All!
Thanks.This seems to be the only resource online for setting up Airport Extreme with ACT Fibernet.
I followed the above procedure and still unable to setup using pPoe Help!

VishK Kish

Jan 21, 2016
thans jay!
tried that but still doesn't work.
//I connect ethernet ACT LAN cable to ethernet port on iMac.
Log out of ACT portal
Connect ACT Lan cable to ethernet port of AE directly.
Connect using Airport Utility.AE detected.Both Internet and AE are orange lights
Edit the options to Internet to PPOE, give ACT username and password and set router mode to NAT AND DHCP(which is shown as default and not changeable) Check Network options to see router range its x.x.x..2 to x.x.x.x.200
Save and Update
//Update and Frustrate

Im frustrated and don't want the apple extreme to just sit there literally like a cuboidal white elephant, so Ive connected a TPlink cheap router and running the AE in bridge mode connected to TPlink via ethernet cable. I setup All devices at home connect to the AE wifi network and ignore the TP. But the TP link keeps dropping and thats the reason I went for an AE in the first place.!
Now my setup:
Internet---ACT Fibercable---TPlink(PPoE)(does the autologin everytime)---Ethernet Rj45---Airport Extreme(bridgemode)---All Wifi Clients latch to AirportsWifi

Help!!

Last edited:

shr

Regulars
Oct 15, 2008
Chennai
Option 1: A primary router to connect to ACT via PPPoE. Airport Extreme (or Express) connects to primary as a switch / access point
Option 2: Sweet talk ACT to give you a static IP.
You can refer the issue of line getting dropped to ACT. I had a similar issue that got resolved after their engineer crimped their CAT 5 cable once again.

VishK Kish

Jan 21, 2016
Option 1: A primary router to connect to ACT via PPPoE. Airport Extreme (or Express) connects to primary as a switch / access point
Option 2: Sweet talk ACT to give you a static IP.
You can refer the issue of line getting dropped to ACT. I had a similar issue that got resolved after their engineer crimped their CAT 5 cable once again.
Thanks Shr!
Im doing option 1 now and I can live with this.I will try, against all hope, to make ACT cough up a static ip for me.