Airport Extreme with ACT Fibernet - how to configure?

tilt

[OP]
Regulars
Aug 6, 2014
OK, I just got off the phone with ACT. They used to give public IP until very recently and have now switched to only private IP addresses. They will not give public IPs any more.

They also said they do not support Airport Extreme because it is such a sensitive router; and even after I told them I was on a Mac, he asked me to type runcmd and ipconfig.

He wanted me to spell the name of the router so that he could google it and see how to configure it. This was one of the Network Operations guys who are supposed to be the experts when the ordinary customer support guys cannot answer your questions :)

He finally said "talk to Apple" and Apple told me to talk to ACT and get the settings for PPPoE. This guy could not give me any of the settings!

*sigh*, life!

Cheers

shr

Regulars
Oct 15, 2008
Chennai
Sorry, I just checked whatsmyip.com on my iMac and it gives me a 106.* IP. However, my Airport Extreme has a 10.* IP.

Cheers
If you get 106.* it should be possible to get your Extreme to work with ACT. I dont have an Extreme at home but I have an express. Let me try to configure it on ACT and let you know over the weekend.

tilt

[OP]
Regulars
Aug 6, 2014
If you get 106.* it should be possible to get your Extreme to work with ACT. I dont have an Extreme at home but I have an express. Let me try to configure it on ACT and let you know over the weekend.
ACT tech guy came yesterday and even he could not do it with help from his backend people. So they let it stay dhcp and did MAC binding so themat I don't have to login everyday.

Cheers

shr

Regulars
Oct 15, 2008
Chennai
ok. That will resolve. When you change your router in future, you will need to redo this step with ACT.

krgaurav

Regulars
Jan 28, 2011
Apple router works with ACT on PPPoE mode without any flaw.

Did any one configure same airport with static IP of ACT (Act Lan cable connected to airport directly).

I have got Static IP from ACT today .
I am able to browse internet directly from PC.
I am able to browse internet from Belkin normal router.

But in Airport - I have 3 option of Internet
1. PPPoE - Ruled out.
2. Dynamic - Can't use with ACT Static IP
3. Static.

Here is catch . I used this. But in network tab u can't have DHCP and NAT together (Double NAT issue). DHCP mode in network not giving internet.

Any help pl.

gopichandpai

Regular
Regulars
Jul 2, 2008
If you have static IP from ACT, you must select Static option in your router/airport

gopichandpai

Regular
Regulars
Jul 2, 2008
Try with only DHCP mode. If you have a static IP from ACT, it is one-to-one NATing(there is no Double NATing for static private IP). So, if only DHCP doesn't work, try DHCP and NAT.

krgaurav

Regulars
Jan 28, 2011
Try with only DHCP mode. If you have a static IP from ACT, it is one-to-one NATing(there is no Double NATing for static private IP). So, if only DHCP doesn't work, try DHCP and NAT.
tried that it says IP Conflict with WAN .. it will not allow you to update as Static IP is 10.X and as well as your internal IP also on same series..

gopichandpai

Regular
Regulars
Jul 2, 2008
Aah ok! I haven't used airport before, but I am assuming there should be an option to change router starting IP range. Change it to 192.*