MTNL Mumbai 8Mbps Plan FUP Crossed way too early

• Thread starter Thread starter strideram
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 2,126

strideram

ISP
Local Cable (WNet), MTNL Mumbai
I have subscribed to the MTNL DSL_Combo_8Mbps_1050 plan. According to that, upto 28Gb I should 8Mbps/2Mbps download/upload. However today I got an email with the following content,

Your MTNL Broadband connection working on Telephone Number <redacted> is operational under DSL_Combo_8Mbps_1050 plan which offers HIGH download speed upto 16.26 GB fair usage limit and unlimited usage at normal speed afterwards.

With total data usage of 16.22 GB as on Mon, Sat, 26 Jul 2014 07:20:15 you have already crossed 80% of the Fair Usage Limit.
It is intimated that your download speed will be rationaly reduced after FUP limit as per your selected plan for the rest of the current month bill cycle.
However, you will be able to enjoy the HIGH SPEED download upto fair usage limit at the start of the next billing cycle.

I just checked my usage online (@ http://crestelreg.mtnl.net.in:10080/servlet/Accounting) and it displays that I have consumed a total (download + upload) of 16,704 Mb.

The question is, why have I hit an arbitrary FUP of 16.26Gb when the plan states 28Gb??? I thought of asking the community first, incase this is a common occurance. Will post an update once I hear from the MTNL guys.

Have you switched to 8mbps this month itself?
If so, the fup limit is pro-rated.

Pro rata. That's the only thing to it really.

Pretty sure they changed your plan on Monday the 7th of July.

Yes I applied for the plan this month. I don't remember the date it was activated. If I understand this correctly, by pro-rata you imply that next month onwards I would get an FUP limit of 28GB.

Cool. That makes sense. Thanks!