• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 18
  • Views Views 5,293

sunandoghosh

ISP
depends
Hi computer gurus, geeks, nerds, technocarts,

Well finally i have decided to go for bsnl dataone broadband:

But as always i have few queries and would be happy if anyone can come forward and share his/her wisdom:

A little info:

A little info about relevant hardware in my PC which i believe may help u in giving accuracte advice (i got the hardware details through device manager):

"SmartLink 56K voice modem
standrad 19200 bps modem"

I think these are inbuilt modems on the motherboard also it shows: realtek RTL 8139 Family PCI Fast ethernet NIC (network adapters)

MY QUESTIONS:

1. The bsnl dataone broadband site says (among other things)

"What kind of PC do I need to run ADSL?

Network Interface Card(NIC) with 10/100 Mbps Ethernet port with RJ45 socket"

How do i know whether my NIC is compatible with above?????

(The link is www.bsnl.co.in/faq/faq...y=Broadban d)

2. It seems that i have the option to purchase the adsl modem from them or of my own.

Can anyone say what modem they provide and is it actually worth rs 2000?

Or should i go for one from the market? If yes which one?

Also can the modem be usable in case in future i wish not to use bsnl dataone braodband?

( i visited the following link but unable to reach any decision

www.D-Link.co.in/dlink/...modem.htm)

3. Is the installation very diffuclt (seems so as they charge rs 500) or can it be done by me...plz assume that i know how to surf net and check emails only...?????

4. also the faq says

"I want to connect more than one computer to my Broadband line to share my internet connection. How do I do this?

Yes, if you choose the right broadband plan, you would be permitted to connect more than one computer. However, all the users will share the bandwidth allocated to you. "

www.bsnl.co.in/service...tariff.htm

I plan to take Business 1200 single user - it seems i cannot use it for two connections at home?????

5. What is a HUb and why it is used?

I know i am asking too many questions but i tried to contact bsnl

"Where can I get help about DataOne service?
You can call 24 hours helpline number: 1600 424 1600"

You know what when i press 1 after dialling the above number, the call says its getting transferred to officer and then disconnects everytime i tried in last 4 days from kolkata.

I hope someone will be able to throw light so that i can take the connection.

thanks and regards,

sunando

sunandoghosh (at) rediffmail (dot) com

I'll be answering ur queries this night...now i'm busy. Agnivo here again !

Hi,Here is my opinion :1. Your LAN Card is perfectly OK and compatible with DataOne.2. BSNL is providing cheap UTStarcom/Huwaei modems. No clauses of warranty are mentioned by BSNL. You can go for D-Link 502T ADSL Router ( I'm using ) priced at Rs.2500/- Any ISP using ADSL technology works with the modem. D-Link has large network of Service Centre and so is dependable.3. Installation is not at all hard.4. Why a single PC, you can connect thousands of PCs on 1200 plan !5. Hubs are old, switches are available now. It is used to connect multiple PCs, ADSL modems/routers, other network equipment so that they form a LAN and can access each other to share data and services. I would suggest a Compex 2208B 8-port switch priced at Rs. 1100/- for sharing the connection.As for the unanswered helpline, the customer care officer was not available at that time.After you have bought the modem and want to set-up the network/connection, start a new topic "D-Link Connection" and I'll show how it goes.NOTE : BSNL people do not set up modems if it is from the customer.

hey buddy...what a persuasive and coherent reply to the queries...i agree with u cent per cent...great.......i am going to apply for dataone broadband tommorow (monday) itself..."Why a single PC, you can connect thousands of PCs on 1200 plan !"can u plz explain how it is possible before i apply tommorow...thanks man u r awesome... 🙄 🙄 🙄 🙄

He mean that u can share same internet connections between multiple pc's . 1000 !! *cough* Prepare for bytes/sec then 🙂

"1000" is just used to indicate that you are not stuck with the connection working on a single PC ! I have found good results on upto 6 PCs connected to DataOne at 256kbps. The bandwidth is obviously shared between the connected PCs. Theoretically, there is no limit on PCs you can connect. I was just indicating that.I just don't understand why u r using ur friend's id on this forum !!

"I would suggest a Compex 2208B 8-port switch priced at Rs. 1100/- for sharing the connection."so does that mean that when i buy the modem u suggested...i also need to buy this switch that u r saying..."1000" is just used to indicate that you are not stuck with the connection working on a single PC ! I have found good results on upto 6 PCs connected to DataOne at 256kbps."Ya i got it..."The bandwidth is obviously shared between the connected PCs. Theoretically, there is no limit on PCs you can connect. I was just indicating that."i think that theoretically if we have 256kbps line and if we share 4 computers over it we get theoretically 64kbps on each pc...right...or can we determine which pc gets what bandwidth???????? say pc 1 getting 128 kbps and rest 128 kbps shared among three computers..."I just don't understand why u r using ur friend's id on this forum !!"since i started with that id, so continuing with it only...no specific reason as such...and yes tommorow i am purchasing the modem D-Link 502T adsl router u suggested...(is it also possible to have a wireless one with a bit more cost or is the cost substantially higher to get a wireless one?????????????)thanks tonnes man........p.s. if u feel like can u say me difference between modem, switch, router, hub or point to any webpage (reply if u feel like to this one as i may be asking too much)

Please go through this webpage to get an idea how sharing internet connection using a broadband router works :
http://www.gyre.co.uk/help/broadband/conne...ring.php#router
D-Link DSL-502T integrates ADSL modem and router. So, if you need to share your connection, you need to buy a switch !
Bandwidth is not always evenly distributed. Say, there are 4 PCs connected to a 256kbps line. One is not surfing, one is viewing email, the other two are downloading large files. Then, most bandwidth would be consumed by the last 2 PCs, little by email user and none by the 1st user. Bandwidth distribution depends on the demands of the connected PCs, but CANNOT exceed max. in total. Got it ?
One can allocate specific bandwidth to IP addresses, but that's out of scope for newbies like u. Be contented with default sharing !
The WiFi variants are still costly compared to wired networks, wired devices are cheap yet dependable.
Please follow the instructions of modem manual, if your'e stuck, post a topic !
Here you get all about net : http://www.gyre.co.uk/help/broadband/glossary.php
Cheers,
AR.

\"Please go through this webpage to get an idea how sharing internet connection using a broadband router works :
http://www.gyre.co.uk/help/broadband/conne...hp#router\"[/b]

nice page for a newbie like me in networking...thanks...

\"D-Link DSL-502T integrates ADSL modem and router. So, if you need to share your connection, you need to buy a switch !\"[/b]

ya now it is clear that i need a switch also...(was just wondering why D-Link people did not integrate a switch also into it?????????????? so that all three components were at one place integrated)...

and yes i am purchasing the "Compex 2208B 8-port switch priced at Rs. 1100/- for sharing the connection" (as suggested by you)...

\"Bandwidth is not always evenly distributed. Say, there are 4 PCs connected to a 256kbps line. One is not surfing, one is viewing email, the other two are downloading large files. Then, most bandwidth would be consumed by the last 2 PCs, little by email user and none by the 1st user. Bandwidth distribution depends on the demands of the connected PCs, but CANNOT exceed max. in total. Got it ?\"[/b]

yes sir and it appears by default more or less optimal utilization is made automatically...so no need to worry as such...

"One can allocate specific bandwidth to IP addresses, but that's out of scope for newbies like u. Be contented with default sharing !"

true...i have to and i am...thanks buddy

"The WiFi variants are still costly compared to wired networks, wired devices are cheap yet dependable."

again seems very true...so going for wired solution only...

"Please follow the instructions of modem manual, if your'e stuck, post a topic !"

great........

"Here you get all about net : http://www.gyre.co.uk/help/broadband/glossary.php"

not very explicit but ya handy...thanks...

Few more general questions and statements for u:

1. I am extremely thankful to u for always taking initiative in replying to all my queries on this forum till date in as detail as possible (and i know i ask too many questions and few r at times irritating or stupid)...

2. I was wondering that the two links u provided me in last reply...how u could exactly locate or reach that web page bcz all other webpages for the same website were not relevant???????

3. Since i am from kolkata and u r also from same city; do u think purchasing the two components from saboo computers would be fine...as i have always purchased from them in the past or do u suggest any other vendor better
than that...????????

4. ur profile says "Birthday 15 September 1986" i wonder ur knowledge, confidence and ability at this age man...cannot help but be surprised and also respect u for the same....(wish i had just 25% of it)...

5. hope u continue to be my guidance as always u have been...

thanks millions tonness man...

regards,
sunando

Thanks, I am honoured. I'll be mailing you within a few days. I might also call u. Till then, stay cool this summer !Cheers,AR.

hey buddy one more thing...i am Unable to decide which LAN Card/NIC card to buy for the other pc which is to be connected...its on windows xp...Can u suggest which LAN card / NIC card (i think both refer to same thing ) should i buy so that i can connect my pc (alread having nic installed) to another one (without NIC)...thanks and yes please reply a bit early as want to purchase soon...thanks again sunandoghosh (at) rediffmail (dot) com 🙄 🙄

Hi Mohit,You can purchase the peripherals from any shop u like (u like saboo computers), the rates differ by 5% at most.A NIC costs about Rs. 250-300 at most. Don't go for highly-priced ones. The ones from Compex/Krypon would do.You would require to buy 2 LAN patch cords. One of standard 1m length and the other depending upon where ur other PC is located.Please don't surrender ur current net connection unless DataOne is operational. And plz inform me when u buy ur equipments & get ur userid/password from BSNL.I'll be glad if u SMS me.Cheers,AR.

"You would require to buy 2 LAN patch cords. One of standard 1m length and the other depending upon where ur other PC is located."ok i think this will also be available in the computer shop right...??????????????all i need to say is "lan patch cards""And plz inform me when u buy ur equipments & get ur userid/password from BSNL."u dont have to say "please"; infact u will be the first person to know if i am eventually able to have dataone connection (which seems very near may be a week) bcz a larger part of it is bcz of ur help...guidance....man"I'll be glad if u SMS me."I have just given an sms to u...I cant thank u enough man...regards,sunandop.s. i will buy compex nic as there is no company named krypon (googling)