Full Signals but No Calls! Is it normal with BSNL?

ISP
In Conquest of Finding One
I have purchased a BSNL GSM sim just for calling purposes and can't even do that.
I have tried two different phones and in both of them I get full signals but can't make or receive calls. It just stays blank for a few seconds with no beep or anything and then just disconnects.

I have tried it in multiple rooms and also in open with same results.

What is wrong?
Is it normal and no use of complaining?

Of course it isn't normal. Why would you purchase a bsnl sim in Faridabad though?

Are you able to receive calls on the said number ?

Of course it isn't normal.
Good to hear that. I thought because of poor services or bad infra or something, BSNL customers might face this problem from time to time. So that's why asked if it's normal and would this be resolved automatically.

Why would you purchase a bsnl sim in Faridabad though?
That's strange. They have full services in Faridabad so I don't really get your point. By the way my actual reason was to check 3G coverage so that I could use MTNL 3G here but was disappointed beyond limits. I got speed of 0.02 MBps and 3235 ms ping.

Also someone in my family desperately needed a connection with free roaming in Faridabad and Palwal (job in Palwal). Only BSNL gives that, also I had a spare SIM since 3G didn't worked, hence all the trouble to use BSNL.

Are you able to receive calls on the said number ?
No nothing. It's very frustrating because I used this number for a few days and it was fine and yesterday I recharged it with 1500 RS. and it was fine till today morning too but since past 4-5 hours after repeatedly trying (both incoming & outgoing) I was able to get through only once!

I thought Faridabad was part of the Delhi NCR Telecom circle ie under mtnl for GSM services.

Since you were able to get through once, I'd put it down to network issues.

KYC issues seem unlikely, though a remote possibility. Call 1503?

OT, but that speed and latency look like 2G.

I thought Reliance had a plan with free roaming through the country?

@chromaniac I hope it's not KYC but I never did/get any verification call though.

@x720 No Faridabad is BSNL only but MTNL is roaming free here I think so probably one and the same thing.

I haven't called 1503, just felt asking here first because I have dealt with their CC once (for 3G) and it was horrid.

Yes that speed indeed looks like 2G but due to latency it is unusable totally.

@chromaniac Yes, just checked, Reliance does have free roaming but I don't know about it's coverage in Palwal. BSNL works there, it's confirmed. Also BSNL is cheaper and the user will be making huge calls with this number.

But if BSNL doesn't work out I will probably be looking at Reliance.

This one.

HMwiIhH.png

it is quite possible with bsnl network. you will get connected to an invalid/improperly configured BTS and hence you will not be able to make/receive calls even though your phone shows full signal. when somebody calls you they will get a out of coverage area message.

BSNL CC's waiting period was 37 minutes! I disconnected after 10 minutes, and now calls are going through. Such service! 😀.

So it's say safe to say that it was a temporary network issue. I hope this doesn't occur too frequently because this number is going to be for office use and if this problem occurs during office hours I will be screwed for BSNL's fault.