BSNL DataOne Slow?

cutekiran_jnc

hi guys.. new to this place.. i wanna know that i too have dataone.. 500 monhtly plan 1GB download limit.. i hardly have any softwares in my computer.. its justa basic computer i can say.. no games nothing.. but still the speed is slow damn slow... cant use the websites.. but only messengers work.. any idea what i am supposed to do for this.. its really frustrating.. how do i check the speed for this 🙁 :angry:

check your computer if you have auto update which might be downloading the latest updates to install.. that might be slowing down your PC... im assuming its a decent config (p3 or p4 with 128mb ram or more?)

also download spyware scanners like lavasoft ad-aware personal edition or MS anti-spyware beta (or both!) http://www.microsoft.com/spyware

also use anti-virus, i use the free AVG AntiVirus available at http://free.grisoft.com/

if the links are wrong or something search for them on google...

also please elaborate on what you mean by "cant use the websites" what kind of problem/error are you getting that makes you say that speed is very slow?

The distance between ur PC and Tel. Exchange determines the speed you can get through broadband. So does the quality of connection, wires and presence of joints in the wire. Get your line checked by BSNL guys.
As for the website problem, it might be temporary. If it persists, try setting MRU/MTU value to 1458 and things would be fine. For this to work, you have to configure settings inside the modem. Get ur speed checked from www.broadband.org.in
I would suggest "Bitdefender Pro Plus 8" (AV+Antispam+Firewall). And for spyware scanner, "Spybot S&D". Low PC configuration can also hamper BBand speed to rise.

ok now the websites i am talkign about is just general stuff like gmail or yahoo or dellmail.com.. anything.. cant open them at all..... but tel me this.. what difference will it make it i put lotta softwares in it.. like the firewalls and antispy.. i already have the microsoft antispy and the zonealarm.. still no help.. its sad.. its really dead slow..even the auto updates r off... and its says page cannot be displayed..

Originally posted by ar007@May 7 2005, 10:44 AM
The distance between ur PC and Tel. Exchange determines the speed you can get through broadband. So does the quality of connection, wires and presence of joints in the wire. Get your line checked by BSNL guys.
As for the website problem, it might be temporary. If it persists, try setting MRU/MTU value to 1458 and things would be fine. For this to work, you have to configure settings inside the modem. Get ur speed checked from www.broadband.org.in
I would suggest \"Bitdefender Pro Plus 8\" (AV+Antispam+Firewall). And for spyware scanner, \"Spybot S&D\". Low PC configuration can also hamper BBand speed to rise.
[snapback]8944[/snapback]
[/quote]

whats MRU /MTU ??? and the line exchange is preety close so that shouldnt be a problem either... no joints.. configure settings inside the modem >???? didnt quiet get that :mellow:

guess what this shit connection is so slow that when i try to run the speed tests from the links u guys have given me.. it says page cannot be displayed.. i went to an extent of installign the OS too.. but no go

now that is first bad review of dataone i have heard on this forum. 🙂

nah, cutekiran has some other problems, maybe his phone line is really noisy or modem is defective or not setup correctly...or he's an employee of a BSNL competitor trying to drag their good name through the mud 8-P hehei've crossed my personal best on dataone : 30gb downloaded in 3 weeks (thats about 40gb in one month on a 512kbps link woooo)...now, i gotta install a fan next to my laptop/modem and from may 15th to jun15th, download stuff NON-STOP and see how much i can manage.. woooooo

hehe, yep... it's going to be real painful come jun 30th... 8-(will suffer from net-addiction withdrawal symptoms due to 5gb/10gb download limits... 8-((((((((

either they will continue with the scheme or the country is going into hell.i can only expect airtel to come out with better packages if bsnl continues with unlimited downloads for 500 bucks at 256... 😕

Originally posted by vishalrao@May 9 2005, 06:26 AM
nah, cutekiran has some other problems, maybe his phone line is really noisy or modem is defective or not setup correctly...

or he's an employee of a BSNL competitor trying to drag their good name through the mud 8-P hehe

i've crossed my personal best on dataone : 30gb downloaded in 3 weeks (thats about 40gb in one month on a 512kbps link woooo)...

now, i gotta install a fan next to my laptop/modem and from may 15th to jun15th, download stuff NON-STOP and see how much i can manage.. woooooo
[snapback]9034[/snapback]
[/quote]

i am not he... i am a she Vishal..

ok well phone line is sometimes noisy btu very very intermitent.. and
i dont work for another other telephone company dear..
working for Accenture.. bangalore..

checked the speed test finally
first as soon as i connected it was 360000kbps.. couldnt stop laughing..
checked again after 5 mins.. it was 2000kbps..
agian checked after 5 mins... it was 900kbps..
5 mins later... 530 kbps..
5 mins later.. 200kbps..
2 mins later.. 191 kbps..
2 mins later... 101kbps..
i hated them for this..
whats happening guys help me plzzz 🙁

hi kiran,where are you checking you speeds. They seem to be abnormal. BTW better option would be to download a file and clock the download.cheers